SportsWrath

The Official Keyshawn Johnson Thread

BiG PiMPiN

Keyshawn Johnson a Giant?

Could Keyshawn Johnson have a return engagement on Broadway? Perhaps.

Johnson, who was the first pick of the 1996 NFL Draft by the Jets and spent his first four seasons with the club, is scheduled to fly into the area this morning and visit with the Giants, according to a close friend and former teammate with knowledge of the talks between Johnson and the Giants.

The friend said the Giants are expected to make a strong bid to sign Johnson and may strike a deal as early as this week. Johnson is said to be excited about the opportunity to return to the New York area, a place he never wanted to leave.

"If the numbers are right, he could sign with the Giants (today)," the friend said. "Keyshawn thinks the Giants have a really good team and could contend for the Super Bowl. Besides, he loves the New York stage."

Johnson, who was the first pick of the 1996 NFL Draft by the Jets and spent his first four seasons with the club, is scheduled to fly into the area this morning and visit with the Giants, according to a close friend and former teammate with knowledge of the talks between Johnson and the Giants.

The friend said the Giants are expected to make a strong bid to sign Johnson and may strike a deal as early as this week. Johnson is said to be excited about the opportunity to return to the New York area, a place he never wanted to leave.

"If the numbers are right, he could sign with the Giants (today)," the friend said. "Keyshawn thinks the Giants have a really good team and could contend for the Super Bowl. Besides, he loves the New York stage."

:rock: Would add a reliable target for Eli :rock:

Guest Nutty Sack

Heard on CBS sports radio if not reported as of yet here. If he signs today at least Eli will have someone to ross the ball to.

Guest Lockhart

If the Giants sign Keyshawn, do they need to keeep Plaxico? I don't think so. They could trade Plaxico for a draft choice and draft and/or sign a speedster. Keyshawn is Plaxico with hands and toughness.

Guest Nutty Sack
If the Giants sign Keyshawn, do they need to keeep Plaxico? I don't think so. They could trade Plaxico for a draft choice and draft and/or sign a speedster. Keyshawn is Plaxico with hands and toughness.

Oh my oh my. Why is the obvious always so simple for some ?? The good ones admit their was in error in judgement and make quick ammends. We should be able to get a late round second or third pick I would think.

Yes, you keep Plax, they don't have the same role you dope.

As for taking KJ, well we already have a decent possession WR with AT. I think we need to replace Carter with a speed WR better hands.

KJ is a big name, decent downfield blocker, and he's big. He's also not a great addition to our speed offer and two really old WR's aren't a big help.

This art is being thrown around on gaints.com

Keyshawn may soon be a Giant

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

Johnson, 33, was released by the Cowboys last week when the club decided not to exercise a $1 million roster bonus and instead sign Terrell Owens. He was due to earn a $1.5 million base salary in addition to the bonus but made it clear he wanted more money and a multiyear deal.

Carolina, Seattle, Philadelphia, New England, Kansas City and Dallas, which would like to re-sign Johnson, also have shown interest.

Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi refused comment.

In an interview with SI.com last week, Johnson suggested the Giants and Seahawks were among his top targets.

No matter who signs him, Johnson made it clear last week he's not looking to take a pay cut.

"I know exactly what I'm worth, and it's not $2.5 million a year," he told SI.com. "I know what I bring to a team, and if somebody comes calling who is willing to compensate me accordingly, I'm available."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said recently that Johnson was one of the "top five competitors to ever put on a Cowboys uniform."

Johnson, entering his 11th season, is still a big-time player and could provide several intangibles to the Giants, against whom he caught eight passes for 120 yards in a Cowboys victory last October. Last season, he had 71 receptions for 839 yards (11.8-yard average) and six touchdowns. He commanded double teams, which opened up the field for teammate Terry Glenn, and remains one of the top blocking wide receivers in the league.

Furthermore, Johnson is still a clutch performer and is fearless going across the middle. He had 25 receptions for 256 yards and two touchdowns on third down, tied for sixth in the NFC.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin, who is close to Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, is believed to think Johnson is the kind of clutch player the Giants lack. Receiver Plaxico Burress, who was added as a free agent last year, started well but had only one 100-yard game in the final five weeks of the regular season. Burress also dropped a touchdown on the first offensive play of a Christmas Eve loss to the Redskins and was held without a catch in the team's shutout defeat to the Panthers in the playoffs.

Coughlin, who is close to Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, is said to be convinced Johnson can still play at a high level and does the little things to help a team win. He would provide solid blocking for running back Tiki Barber and the attention he would command in the passing game would create even more space for tight end Jeremy Shockey, Burress and 11-year veteran receiver Amani Toomer.

It's unclear exactly how much money Johnson is looking for, but he is said to want a multiyear deal, according to the friend. Thirty-something veterans such as Kevin Mawae ($4 million), Willie McGinest ($6 million) and Isaac Bruce ($6 million) have all done well on the free agent market this off-season. Johnson has earned $8 million over the past two seasons.

Despite his age, Johnson, a three-time Pro Bowler, remains productive. He's not far off his best season with the Jets, when he had 89 catches for 1,170 yards and eight touchdowns in 1999, his final season with the club.

Since leaving the Jets, Johnson, who has also played with the Bucs, has won a Super Bowl, had a 100-catch season and gone to the Pro Bowl. Throughout his career, he has made the receivers playing opposite him better, including Wayne Chrebet, Keenan McCardell and Glenn. He has caught a pass in 151 consecutive games, second to only the Colts Marvin Harrison.

© 2006 The Star Ledger

© 2006 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

With holes at DT and LB, is the Ny FO gonna drop 2+mil on johnson?

Look at this art...he "believes" TC "likes" johnson...

I swear the media gets more pathetic each year...

this art is utter garbage...

"if the numbers are right he could sign with the giants", a "friend" says..

well the same freind just told me that MIKE GARAFOLO is a fucking jerkoff that makes up bullshit, and that the closest he's ever come to playing football or having a decision that was football related was whlie playing this game..

nfl_game.jpg

accroding to the vibrating football league sources keyshawn will have 105 catches this year as a NY giant..

Ny will void Toomers contract.."cause you can in that league" and free up some needed money for johnson

Guest Lockhart
This art is being thrown around on gaints.com

With holes at DT and LB, is the Ny FO gonna drop 2+mil on johnson?

Look at this art...he "believes" TC "likes" johnson...

I swear the media gets more pathetic each year...

this art is utter garbage...

"if the numbers are right he could sign with the giants", a "friend" says..

well the same freind just told me that MIKE GARAFOLO is a fucking jerkoff that makes up bullshit, and that the closest he's ever come to playing football or having a decision that was football related was whlie playing this game..

nfl_game.jpg

accroding to the vibrating football league sources keyshawn will have 105 catches this year as a NY giant..

Ny will void Toomers contract.."cause you can in that league" and free up some needed money for johnson

The Giants do have holes on the defense, but their passing game fell apart late last season. A reliable receiver, that is tough with good hands, would help immensely

Guest Carbo

My initial reaction when Keyshawn was cut was for the Giants to run far, run fast. But in light of more selfish, immature behavior and attitude by Plexiglass, I say we need him. Cut Burress, sign on Key, and make a statement to the rest of the team!

My initial reaction when Keyshawn was cut was for the Giants to run far, run fast. But in light of more selfish, immature behavior and attitude by Plexiglass, I say we need him. Cut Burress, sign on Key, and make a statement to the rest of the team!

You want to Replace "Selfish" Plax with MEsawn? :confused:

Guest Carbo

Sign Key; release Burress. I can't imagine too many teams interested in Plexiglass after last year's performance in the Wild Card game. You remember that game, don't you? The one where he quit in the second quarter?

Guest Carbo
You want to Replace "Selfish" Plax with MEsawn? :confused:
Yes. Keyshawn has hands and toughness, and seems to actually like football.

Yes. Keyshawn has hands and toughness, and seems to actually like football.

But you said

But in light of more selfish, immature behavior and attitude by Plexiglass

So you want to replace a selfsh person with another one :confused

Learn how to read.

What did I mis-read? :confused: You said Replace "Selfish" Plax with Meshawn? :confused:

Guest Lockhart

Keyshawn would be an instant impact receiver to go along with Tiki and Toomer. Together with Eli, this off season, they could get much accomplished. That chemistry would carry over into the 2006 season.

Keyshawn would be an instant impact receiver to go along with Tiki and Toomer. Together with Eli, this off season, they could get much accomplished. That chemistry would carry over into the 2006 season.

I agree. He can run routes, that's what Eli needs, Toomer and Johnson can both run excellent routes and catch the ball when it hits them in the hand. This would be an excellent pick up. PB is a bitch.

Guest Lockhart
Yes, you keep Plax, they don't have the same role you dope.

As for taking KJ, well we already have a decent possession WR with AT. I think we need to replace Carter with a speed WR better hands.

KJ is a big name, decent downfield blocker, and he's big. He's also not a great addition to our speed offer and two really old WR's aren't a big help.

Keyshawn isn't fast, but he is as fast as Plaxico - better hands too.