SportsWrath

Trouble in Paradize???

BleedinBlue

Burress could want new deal

by Mike Garafolo

Sunday February 24, 2008, 3:00 AM

COMBINE NOTEBOOK

INDIANAPOLIS -- Agent Drew Rosenhaus has himself a wide receiver who might have "outperformed" his contract. The Giants know what that means: A possible contract squabble.

According to someone who speaks to members of the Giants front office on a regular basis, the team is prepared for Rosenhaus to make a case for a new contract for Plaxico Burress, who battled through ankle and knee injuries this past season to catch 70 passes for 1,025 yards and a career-high 12 touchdowns.

The person, who requested anonymity because the team does not discuss contract negotiations publicly, said Rosenhaus is expected to point to Burress' play early in the season plus his 11 catches in the NFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl-winning touchdown catch against the Patriots as proof of what he can do when healthy.

Perhaps tellingly, Rosenhaus refused to address the issue when asked about it yesterday at the Scouting Combine.

"That is going to be between myself and the Giants," Rosenhaus said. "I can't comment on that publicly."

The 30-year-old Burress signed a front-loaded six-year, $25-million contract with the Giants three years ago. The last three years of the deal include $10.5 million in salary, which means he's nowhere near the top of the list of highest-paid receivers.

The team, realizing Burress will likely be a productive receiver for quarterback Eli Manning for at least five more years, might be willing to renegotiate his deal and extend it.

If Burress and Rosenhaus demand more money, it might be one of three contract squabbles the Giants will face this offseason. Left DE Michael Strahan will likely ask for more than the $4 million he's owed in the final year of his deal (if he decides to return, of course).

"I'm not going to talk about the negotiation part of it," GM Jerry Reese said. "If he wants to come back, we want him back. It's not fair to talk about how we'll negotiate things."

Right DE Osi Umenyiora is not happy with his contract, especially after Justin Tuck signed a deal that includes $1 million more in guaranteed money than Umenyiora got in 2005.

Rosenhaus expects the Giants to void the final two years of DT William Joseph's contract, meaning the former first round pick's disappointing tenure with the team will soon be over.

Couldn't blame either one for wanting more money. Plax has proven to be a team player, is critical to our offense, and showed a ton of guts playing this year. And you can't really blame Osi for being pissed about making the probowl 2 consecutive years and getting paid less than Tuck.

Wouldn't bug me (not that paying any team member actually makes a difference to me) if they had incentives added to their contracts.

I just don't understand why people feel they're entitled to more money for playing at the level they were expected to play when they were signed. I can make the case that Plax under-performed in prior years... should the Giants ask for money back?

According to this article, his contract was "front loaded" too.

Osi and Tuck are BOTH beasts. And it's a fact of life that the one who signs the latest contract will make more money... so Osi.. when he resigns with the Giants will more money than Tuck... and then when Tuck resigns... you guys get the point.

There's something called Salary Cap here and if these players want to be on a winning team then I'm sure they can "feed" their families on measly $5,000,000 a year... with a little belt tightening here and there.

Strahan's contract negotiation back then wasn't easy. And back then it was a HUGE contract... so why not adhere to what you signed to do?

Plax deserves it too. His contract is running out within the next couple of years so it's about time we extend him anyway.

As for Osi, this is his chance to set a trend. The reason why the Patriots were so great for that 5 year span was very few holdouts for stuff like that, despite players deserving bigger contracts. If Osi can swallow his pride and "deal with" his current contract, it can set the tone for others that might be unhappy with their contract.

If you guys remember, when Plax came here, I believe we ended up paying him less then he originally wanted due do weird issues with his agent. He came, he left, but was pissed that his agent didn't get a deal done or something, rumor has it he had the flu... it was weird. We got him for a "steal" then... I'd bet he's considered the most underpaid receiver in the league now.

We should maybe throw Osi a bone too, but honestly, when they're both healthy Tuck is the better player. How much more is Tuck making than Osi?

And I agree with Nas; if you signed for X dollars per year, you should play for X dollars per year, except in extraordinary circumstances.

O know both players deserve it, but all this contract renegotioating is getting sickening. Burress signed a front loaded contract. Fine, but after a few years it shouldn't "be expected" that a guy will want to re do his contract. The league should do something about this holding out shit. I know some players are underpaid, but when a big time free agent signes a deal, he should stick to that deal.

...and ticket prices will continue to rise as well as food, beer and parking.

Oh and get ready to be fucked this year by having more prime time games in 5 degree night time weather.

...and ticket prices will continue to rise as well as food, beer and parking.

Oh and get ready to be fucked this year by having more prime time games in 5 degree night time weather.

Nope, there'll be no home MNF games.

And all late season games are decided by flex scheduling.

Nope, there'll be no home MNF games.

And all late season games are decided by flex scheduling.

Home or not, MNF games run way past East Coast bedtimes. It's not just the ticket holders that get fucked.

At least it starts half an hour earlier than the ABC days.

But you have to listen to Cornhole and be subjected to every ABC/Disney/ESPN promo and guest interviews on the planet. They televise the game but hardly show it.

I say F anyone who doesnt want to honor there contract. They are all signed, so let them decide if they want to make no money, or make what they agreed to. There is no point in letting these cry babies ruin our team. Its obvious they have no interest in keeping this team a Champion.

I say F anyone who doesnt want to honor there contract. They are all signed, so let them decide if they want to make no money, or make what they agreed to. There is no point in letting these cry babies ruin our team. Its obvious they have no interest in keeping this team a Champion.

That can be said for Osi but not for Plax. The guy risked it all this year, he's Manning's #1 target, and he only has 2-3 years left in his deal.

Give him a new deal, Strahan too, but stay pat on Osi.

That's a double-edged sword, Jay. How many owners cut players due to "cap considerations"?

I just don't understand why people feel they're entitled to more money for playing at the level they were expected to play when they were signed. I can make the case that Plax under-performed in prior years... should the Giants ask for money back?

According to this article, his contract was "front loaded" too.

Osi and Tuck are BOTH beasts. And it's a fact of life that the one who signs the latest contract will make more money... so Osi.. when he resigns with the Giants will more money than Tuck... and then when Tuck resigns... you guys get the point.

There's something called Salary Cap here and if these players want to be on a winning team then I'm sure they can "feed" their families on measly $5,000,000 a year... with a little belt tightening here and there.

Strahan's contract negotiation back then wasn't easy. And back then it was a HUGE contract... so why not adhere to what you signed to do?

I agree on the whole Osi thing....listen the Giants basically told Strahan to drop dead and play for the contract you signed as we had nothing to do with your suicidal prenuptial agreement with that hag bitch you married. But after a year where continued to excel and will only a year left on his contract they have indicated that they will offer him considerable more dough if he comes back. I would take the same tack with Osi....listen we love you, your effort and your stats....but look at it the other way....what happens if you get injured and only play 3 games....do we get to deduct money from your salary? If he plays as a good citizen this year and does not bitch/moan when he reports then I am quite sure he will be rewarded with a top end contract in 2009. This way you sidestep all of that he makes more money than me bullshit. Someone is always going to make more money.

That can be said for Osi but not for Plax. The guy risked it all this year, he's Manning's #1 target, and he only has 2-3 years left in his deal.

Give him a new deal, Strahan too, but stay pat on Osi.

Agree....Osi shut up and play....more money for Strahan to play another year or two; and more money for Plax as he played exceptionally well without bitching with injuries that the Moss' of the world would be sitting out games for. You have to reward that kind of team dedication and willingness to sacrifice.

Let me put on my CEO hat on for a minute:

GMs and Owners need to get together and set the tone by NEVER signing anyone who holds out or demand a trade because he finally lived up to his huge contract. None of these guys is broke; they're all millionaires so that shit about family is out of the window.

If we give everyone a raise, we'll have no money left for FAs and Rookies.

I dont see how Plax deserves any more money. He got just over 1000 yards and 12 TD's. That doesnt seperate him much from the other 31 #1 wide outs. Forget that that, If I was Reese, Id tell them all to play for what they agreed to play for, or ride the pine.

Now adding maybe a couple performance clauses wouldnt hurt, at least they would earn it then. But look at Osi, take away the philly game, and he got 6 sacks the whole year, how on earth does he think he should have more money??

I dont see how Plax deserves any more money. He got just over 1000 yards and 12 TD's. That doesnt seperate him much from the other 31 #1 wide outs. Forget that that, If I was Reese, Id tell them all to play for what they agreed to play for, or ride the pine.

Now adding maybe a couple performance clauses wouldnt hurt, at least they would earn it then. But look at Osi, take away the philly game, and he got 6 sacks the whole year, how on earth does he think he should have more money??

Because of Tuck. Which is why I'd like for the Giants to keep contract figures confidential... (unless the NFL has a rule that says they can't)

He played on one ankle and showed incredible grit playing through pain.

The fact that he's 30 is the only thing that worries me with giving an extension.

This is kind of like the Owens thing after the SB. Except Plax isn't due 49 million, he's due ten.

IMO that was Accorsi's bad for frontloading it, if he backloaded it we avoid this.

his contract was a bargain when he signed it, right now he's probably the most underpaid player in the game

Wow, short term memory anyone? The guy just pulled his weight this season. Just what is this culture of low expectations? And what is it with most everyone wanting to be patted on the back for EVERYTHING they're SUPPOSED to do? The guy signed a contract... he needs to adhere to it. How would they feel if the team tried to take money back when he was invisible?

Wow, short term memory anyone? The guy just pulled his weight this season. Just what is this culture of low expectations? And what is it with most everyone wanting to be patted on the back for EVERYTHING they're SUPPOSED to do? The guy signed a contract... he needs to adhere to it. How would they feel if the team tried to take money back when he was invisible?

that's how football is- you get paid for a good year. it may be your last. if he didn't pull his weight, they'd have cut him- then would you be championing his cause?