SportsWrath

Trouble in Paradize???

BleedinBlue

I think that NFL rules state that salaries MUST be made public.....that's how it is possible for the league to know if a team is living up to the "cap rules". But I agree with Naz....too bad the NFL couldn't work like a typical corporation where each person's salary is completely confidential to other employees and employees (especially those making more than their co-workers) are told to keep their salary secret.

Plax did come to the Giants as a bargain. There are only a handful of tall (6'5" or so) wideouts out there and they have a huge advantage over the typical corner that is usually around 5'10" or so. Most speed wideouts are pretty small so it's rare to have a tall speedy reciever that can go over his defenders as well as outrun them. Also, Plax showed tremendous grit playing the season while hurt....that's a really rare quality in today's players. So in my opinion, they should restructure Plax's contract....throw him a bone and put a little more money in his pockets. I doubt he is looking for astronomical ridiculous money (like Asante Samuels :confused: ), and just wants (maybe needs) to know that the corporate staff recognizies that he is important cog in the Giants machine and is paid lfar ess than comparable players around the league.

I trust the owners, Reese, and Coughlin will do the right thing....whatever that might be.

I dont see how Plax deserves any more money. He got just over 1000 yards and 12 TD's. That doesnt seperate him much from the other 31 #1 wide outs. Forget that that, If I was Reese, Id tell them all to play for what they agreed to play for, or ride the pine.

Now adding maybe a couple performance clauses wouldnt hurt, at least they would earn it then. But look at Osi, take away the philly game, and he got 6 sacks the whole year, how on earth does he think he should have more money??

Plax played the entire season injured, and was one of the top receivers for touchdowns earlier in the season. What more do you want from the man?

Osi sets a team single-game record for sacks, and you want to use it against him? He gets double-teamed as much as Strahan at this point, and he still gave us double digit sacks for the second year in a row.

I'm not at all in favor of being cap-foolish, but on the other hand, I can understand Plax and Osi wanting more money. And to talk about being bound by their contracts in a league that regularly back-loads contracts with the understanding that the player will never see the last two years of their contract seems a little one-sided.

Plax played the entire season injured, and was one of the top receivers for touchdowns earlier in the season. What more do you want from the man?

I dont want anything more from him, but to honor his contract. Its not like we threw the guy chicken feed. He finnished 23rd in the league, and it was to his benifit that he played hurt as much as it was for the Giants. Other wise we would be talking about getting rid of him right now. If he even finnish top 10, then I'd say he MIGHT have a point, but he didnt.

Osi sets a team single-game record for sacks, and you want to use it against him? He gets double-teamed as much as Strahan at this point, and he still gave us double digit sacks for the second year in a row.

Im not down playing osi's roll this season, its just we have something special thats all going to disapear once all these guys start demanding more money. This is exactly why the Pats dont over pay players, even there really good ones. The question is, do you want to play on a competitive team, or do you want to be middle of the pack again? Osi gets paid very well, greed is going to destroy this team.

I'm not at all in favor of being cap-foolish, but on the other hand, I can understand Plax and Osi wanting more money. And to talk about being bound by their contracts in a league that regularly back-loads contracts with the understanding that the player will never see the last two years of their contract seems a little one-sided.

But that isnt the case with either of these players.

I dont want anything more from him, but to honor his contract. Its not like we threw the guy chicken feed. He finnished 23rd in the league, and it was to his benifit that he played hurt as much as it was for the Giants. Other wise we would be talking about getting rid of him right now. If he even finnish top 10, then I'd say he MIGHT have a point, but he didnt.

23 in the league maybe, but definitely our top receiver. And that done with torn ligaments. And we got him cheap to begin with.

Im not down playing osi's roll this season, its just we have something special thats all going to disapear once all these guys start demanding more money. This is exactly why the Pats dont over pay players, even there really good ones. The question is, do you want to play on a competitive team, or do you want to be middle of the pack again? Osi gets paid very well, greed is going to destroy this team.

Well, neither of them are holding out right now, and we're reacting to rumors (granted, they're not being denied by their agent). I don't think either is being unreasonable in their requests for more money. After all, a starting pro bowler is being paid less than a guy without a starting position on the team. We have the cap space. I don't think it's unreasonable to see what they're asking for before dismissing it out of hand.

If everything is done in a civilized manner (no hold-outs, reasonable requests, and compromise by both parties) I don't see where there would be a problem--in fact it might send a signal to the players that good play is rewarded on this team--especially if the modifications to the contracts are incentive-based, with a sensible bonus for last year's play.

But that isnt the case with either of these players.

Well, duh, Jay, they are being underpaid. :) But we're just as guilty of it as any other team--ask Pettitgout (I'm not saying it was a bad move, but he did still have a couple of years on his contract, didn't he?). If we aren't holding owners to honor the letter of the contracts, why should we hold the players?

23 in the league maybe, but definitely our top receiver. And that done with torn ligaments. And we got him cheap to begin with.

We got him for a good deal, but I wouldnt call it cheap.

Well, neither of them are holding out right now, and we're reacting to rumors (granted, they're not being denied by their agent). I don't think either is being unreasonable in their requests for more money. After all, a starting pro bowler is being paid less than a guy without a starting position on the team. We have the cap space. I don't think it's unreasonable to see what they're asking for before dismissing it out of hand.

The only reason Tuck isnt starting is cause Mikey decided to stick around. And if you look at it, Tuck is on the field damn near as much as Osi anyway, but alot of times in the DT position. Besides, Tuck deserves more money than Osi, he is better.

If everything is done in a civilized manner (no hold-outs, reasonable requests, and compromise by both parties) I don't see where there would be a problem--in fact it might send a signal to the players that good play is rewarded on this team--especially if the modifications to the contracts are incentive-based, with a sensible bonus for last year's play.

Or it could make it so everyone on the team who finnishes 23rd or better think they deserve more money. I say if they want more, give it to them in performance clauses, that way they will at least earn the extra money.

Well, duh, Jay, they are being underpaid. :) But we're just as guilty of it as any other team--ask Pettitgout (I'm not saying it was a bad move, but he did still have a couple of years on his contract, didn't he?). If we aren't holding owners to honor the letter of the contracts, why should we hold the players?

Well, like all of us here, Im interested in the Giants continuing to compete at a championship level. We have a couple weaknesses to fill, and this just makes it harder to do.

We got him for a good deal, but I wouldnt call it cheap.

The only reason Tuck isnt starting is cause Mikey decided to stick around. And if you look at it, Tuck is on the field damn near as much as Osi anyway, but alot of times in the DT position. Besides, Tuck deserves more money than Osi, he is better.

Or it could make it so everyone on the team who finnishes 23rd or better think they deserve more money. I say if they want more, give it to them in performance clauses, that way they will at least earn the extra money.

Well, like all of us here, Im interested in the Giants continuing to compete at a championship level. We have a couple weaknesses to fill, and this just makes it harder to do.

Well, let's hope for the best. I'm looking forward to Tuck playing more as well, but we may be hearing a different tale once he gets the double-teams Strahan and Osi are getting right now.

Heh, they'll forget about Alford, though. :)

I think that NFL rules state that salaries MUST be made public.....that's how it is possible for the league to know if a team is living up to the "cap rules". But I agree with Naz....too bad the NFL couldn't work like a typical corporation where each person's salary is completely confidential to other employees and employees (especially those making more than their co-workers) are told to keep their salary secret.

Plax did come to the Giants as a bargain. There are only a handful of tall (6'5" or so) wideouts out there and they have a huge advantage over the typical corner that is usually around 5'10" or so. Most speed wideouts are pretty small so it's rare to have a tall speedy reciever that can go over his defenders as well as outrun them. Also, Plax showed tremendous grit playing the season while hurt....that's a really rare quality in today's players. So in my opinion, they should restructure Plax's contract....throw him a bone and put a little more money in his pockets. I doubt he is looking for astronomical ridiculous money (like Asante Samuels :confused: ), and just wants (maybe needs) to know that the corporate staff recognizies that he is important cog in the Giants machine and is paid lfar ess than comparable players around the league.

I trust the owners, Reese, and Coughlin will do the right thing....whatever that might be.

I can live with this assessment.

I just don't know how much of a bargain he was. Some here mentioned the contract was front loaded.

Let's not over-react to the Osi 'news': It's one sentence with no quotes or sources or agent banter. Osi called Tuck 'rich' or something before the Superbowl and that's all the media's going on.

We should be looking to stitch Plax up anyway so I have no problem there.