SportsWrath

Flozell Adams?

fishgutmartyr

Garafolo's blog

Like every year in the days before free agency, I'm hearing the Giants are interested in everybody that's out there: CBs Asante Samuel and Marcus Trufant, OT Flozell Adams, LBs Lance Briggs and Terrell Suggs, S Ken Hamlin and QB Derek Anderson. Okay, maybe not the last one but there's been buzz about the others. One quick stroll on the calculator tells you most (if not all) of that buzz is FALSE. As we get closer to FA, we usually can sift through most of the nonsense. Plus, a lot of teams, agents and players don't get a real sense of where they stand until the combine, so we'll see what develops over the next few days. I'm headed to Indy tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully I'll be able to start getting some info here.

It's a rumor, and I'm not exactly holding my breath.

But this one is intriguing to me. Adams would be an upgrade from Diehl, but probably not as much as most would like to think. But what it would do for other positions on the line would really make things interesting. Diehl could go back to guard, Making Seubert above-average depth. Reugamer could concentrate on backup center. And, like he did in 2006, Seubert could come in during situations that required a blocking tight end.

The improvement over the position might not be particularly noticeable, but the net improvement on the line as a whole could be considerable.

Like Garafolo said, just a rumor; and I'm only running with it. Thoughts?

I can respect that, but a 4-time pro-bowler coming in to an already-strong line at 31 wouldn't exactly be a horrible thing. Don't know if it fits into Reese's youth plan, but it wouldn't hurt.

If he was to come in and actually improve our line, lets say Diehl didn't work out with the change. Then I would say yes, but if your talking about just brining him in to have some quality depth then I say no. Diehl played great this year and him along with Snee should of been to the pro bowl, seems like every year our O-line gets fucked over in the pro bowl.

Also I think he would want a pretty decent deal going into the end of his career, give him some financial security. Also like you said I don't think Reese would really want to get a FA just for depth and who also is only going to play for 2-3 years at most.

I can respect that, but a 4-time pro-bowler coming in to an already-strong line at 31 wouldn't exactly be a horrible thing. Don't know if it fits into Reese's youth plan, but it wouldn't hurt.

I kindda like our OL as is. Diehl did a great jon in his first year at LT and he can only get better. If it ain't broken...

I think the only position we may have to address in FA is the safety postion.. everything else can come thru the draft.

Garafolo's blog

It's a rumor, and I'm not exactly holding my breath.

But this one is intriguing to me. Adams would be an upgrade from Diehl, but probably not as much as most would like to think. But what it would do for other positions on the line would really make things interesting. Diehl could go back to guard, Making Seubert above-average depth. Reugamer could concentrate on backup center. And, like he did in 2006, Seubert could come in during situations that required a blocking tight end.

The improvement over the position might not be particularly noticeable, but the net improvement on the line as a whole could be considerable.

Like Garafolo said, just a rumor; and I'm only running with it. Thoughts?

Only problem is he would ask for rediculos amount of money.

If he was to come in and actually improve our line, lets say Diehl didn't work out with the change. Then I would say yes, but if your talking about just brining him in to have some quality depth then I say no. Diehl played great this year and him along with Snee should of been to the pro bowl, seems like every year our O-line gets fucked over in the pro bowl.

Also I think he would want a pretty decent deal going into the end of his career, give him some financial security. Also like you said I don't think Reese would really want to get a FA just for depth and who also is only going to play for 2-3 years at most.

I'm far from trashing Diehl's play--didn't mean for it to come off like that. But Adams is a better LT than Diehl, AND Diehl is a better guard than Seubert at this point. With one move, you could potentially upgrade 2 positions on the line. That isn't about depth, but the other things I mentioned were.

Of course you're going to pay for Adams--4 pro bowls at the LT position, starting 2003. But it's the most important position on the line, and except for a torn ACL, he's been in better shape than Luke, who is the same age. You could be getting more than 3 years out of him, and a couple of those would probably still be at a pro-bowl level. Jones and Ogden both have 2 years on Adams, and they're still going strong, although Ogden probably isn't top 3 anymore.

Flozell is a penalty machine a la Luke, but he is better than Diehl, who is still out of position. Honestly Fish, when I heard Adams name come up I thought the same thing. Seubert could be the first guy to break down.

That might be a deal breaker for me, Boo. I'm kind of liking the absence of penalties. But upgrading the left side of the line would be very tempting.

I'm far from trashing Diehl's play--didn't mean for it to come off like that. But Adams is a better LT than Diehl, AND Diehl is a better guard than Seubert at this point. With one move, you could potentially upgrade 2 positions on the line. That isn't about depth, but the other things I mentioned were.

Of course you're going to pay for Adams--4 pro bowls at the LT position, starting 2003. But it's the most important position on the line, and except for a torn ACL, he's been in better shape than Luke, who is the same age. You could be getting more than 3 years out of him, and a couple of those would probably still be at a pro-bowl level. Jones and Ogden both have 2 years on Adams, and they're still going strong, although Ogden probably isn't top 3 anymore.

That might be a deal breaker for me, Boo. I'm kind of liking the absence of penalties. But upgrading the left side of the line would be very tempting.

Bringing a guy in like Adams, is absolutely not a knock on Diehl. Keep in mind that Diehl has virtually played every position on the line up to now, so putting him in to replace Seubert (who wouldn't be playing if we had kept Luke by the way), is a good move, Diehl, O'hara and Snee would be a great combination. I bet Diehl wouldn't utter a word in complaint about this.

You get Adams in here and pay him the big bucks and he mans the left side for the next 4 years, he's a monster out there 6ft 7 and 345lbs. Ask Osi what it's like to face him. Sure you get some penalties, but if it gets more time for Eli to throw then it'll offset. You might as well pay big $ for a guy who's a pro bowler, you're already throwing big bucks at O'Hara and McKenzie, and Adams is better than them.

So if the Giants bring in Adams, does that mean they have given up on Guy Whimper.

I know we haven't seen alot of Whimper, but he is extremely athletic and filled in very

well when Diehl went out with cramps in Tampa.

I like Diehl because he has started and played at every single game in his career,

pretty good for a fifth round pick from the Jim Fassel era, eh?

Bringing a guy in like Adams, is absolutely not a knock on Diehl. Keep in mind that Diehl has virtually played every position on the line up to now, so putting him in to replace Seubert (who wouldn't be playing if we had kept Luke by the way), is a good move, Diehl, O'hara and Snee would be a great combination. I bet Diehl wouldn't utter a word in complaint about this.

You get Adams in here and pay him the big bucks and he mans the left side for the next 4 years, he's a monster out there 6ft 7 and 345lbs. Ask Osi what it's like to face him. Sure you get some penalties, but if it gets more time for Eli to throw then it'll offset. You might as well pay big $ for a guy who's a pro bowler, you're already throwing big bucks at O'Hara and McKenzie, and Adams is better than them.

I would definitely throw an offer his way. If for no other reason (and there ARE other reasons), to drive the price up for Dallas to keep him.

So if the Giants bring in Adams, does that mean they have given up on Guy Whimper.

I know we haven't seen alot of Whimper, but he is extremely athletic and filled in very

I like Diehl because he has started and played at every single game in his career,

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over Whimper. He might pan out. But if Jerry Reese looked at a guy like Flozell Adams being available and not only established but accomplished and weighed it against a possible LT for the future,who might be good, he might not be the right choice for GM. Especially since we're not rebuilding or anything.

Diehl has been a stiehl!!! :clap:

No, it doesn't. You still need quality backups, and those backups (Whimper and Koets) would be studying under two of the better tackles in the league. You can't predict the future, and I doubt Adams gets a contract longer than 5 years, with 3-4 years of being effective.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think we get a FA "discount" for being champs? I'm sure we'll be getting more looks from big name players this year than we have before, but do we benefit from guys wanting to join a "proven winner"?

My 2 cents (probably worth less than that, but...)

I love Diehl. He's done virtually everything asked of him since he became a Giant. However, if we can upgrade the left side and use Diehl elsewhere on the line....that's a big improvement.

As far as Whimper goes....he's still there and it's a nice option to rotate the guys on the line to keep them fresh and it gives time for Whimper to continue to grow into a starter.

I think Coughlin's style of coaching would eliminate a lot of Adam's false starts and it wouldn't be a problem.

My 2 cents (probably worth less than that, but...)

I love Diehl. He's done virtually everything asked of him since he became a Giant. However, if we can upgrade the left side and use Diehl elsewhere on the line....that's a big improvement.

As far as Whimper goes....he's still there and it's a nice option to rotate the guys on the line to keep them fresh and it gives time for Whimper to continue to grow into a starter.

I think Coughlin's style of coaching would eliminate a lot of Adam's false starts and it wouldn't be a problem.

I woulda thought that too... but didn't we lead the league in false starts two years ago? We had something like 11 in a single game at Seattle.

They can take Suggs off that list. He got Franchised.

As for Adams... Diehl proved his worth to me this season. If JR were to go out and sign a big name LT it would be a slap in the face to Diehl and all of the hard work he put in to making himself a good LT.

They can take Suggs off that list. He got Franchised.

As for Adams... Diehl proved his worth to me this season. If JR were to go out and sign a big name LT it would be a slap in the face to Diehl and all of the hard work he put in to making himself a good LT.

I thought Diehl proved himself at least as early as 2004 when he started at RT--both out of position AND on the wrong side of the line. That, and being the only non-IR'd offensive lineman worthy of the name on the 2003 squad. I wouldn't call this a slap at him, just a chance to get him back at left guard.

I LOVE Diehl at LT for the same reason. No fucking penalties.

Exactly, Flozell Adams always struck me as a heavier and bigger version of Pettigout..... penalty and injury prone with alot of his mistakes being covered up by the fact he played along side of Larry Allen.

Screw the bull about only being 31 and a 4 time pro-bowl player..... IMHO the only reason he made those pro-bowls is because there really wasn't a Ogden/Pace-like OLT in the division.