SportsWrath

SI Championship Package

Allstarjim

I have a dilemma. I really want this NYG commemorative football, plus the NFL Films SuperBowl XLII DVD. Sports Illustrated is giving them away free with a year subscription that costs $89. I don't want 56 issues of SI. Don't want to have to deal with the magazines, I know I won't read them, don't have the time. What I really want is the gifts that come with them, and am willing to pay for them. The book would be nice, too, but I could really take it or leave it. Here is the link to the gifts:

Sports Illustrated

I found the DVD for roughly $18. I found somewhat similar looking footballs at the Giants Online Shop and other websites, but to me, they are not of the same quality in detail and also don't mention including the stand. These other footballs are going for $45. I would like the SI football, but can't find it anywhere. Should I just get the damn subscription and be done with it?

Dude, I don't know, but I found this off of Barnes & Noble website where it is being sold:

"NFL: Super Bowl XLII Champions - New York Giants documents the remarkable season for the world champion New York Giants. The film features a plethora of game footage from throughout the season, including their three road playoff wins that earned them the franchise's third Super Bowl title. ~ Perry Seibert, All Movie Guide All Movie Guide"

NFL.com has the DVD. And as for the commemorative football, there's better things of value out there.

I would not do it. If you're looking for a prized collectible from the game you have to be patient. There'll be new stuff coming out every week.

I have a dilemma. I really want this NYG commemorative football, plus the NFL Films SuperBowl XLII DVD. Sports Illustrated is giving them away free with a year subscription that costs $89. I don't want 56 issues of SI. Don't want to have to deal with the magazines, I know I won't read them, don't have the time. What I really want is the gifts that come with them, and am willing to pay for them. The book would be nice, too, but I could really take it or leave it. Here is the link to the gifts:

Sports Illustrated

I found the DVD for roughly $18. I found somewhat similar looking footballs at the Giants Online Shop and other websites, but to me, they are not of the same quality in detail and also don't mention including the stand. These other footballs are going for $45. I would like the SI football, but can't find it anywhere. Should I just get the damn subscription and be done with it?

Personally, I'm going to do it. I did it 17 years ago when the Giants won SB 25, and I thought it was worth it. You never know how long it will be until the Giants win another SB. So enjoy this one while you can... The magazine portion isn't that bad. Because the Giants won the SB, they will have some Giants related issues (or articles) so it won't be so bad. But you're right...for the most part, they go striaght to the garbage can.

My problem is I can almost swear I ordered the DVD already.. probably on backorder.. but I have no clue who I ordered it from... among other things I ordered that I forgot what they are.. or when they arrive... And I doubt I will still be working at the same place by the time these things arrive (I get stuff shipped to my job.. instead of having to deal with those "we missed you" notices)

Personally, I'm going to do it. I did it 17 years ago when the Giants won SB 25, and I thought it was worth it. You never know how long it will be until the Giants win another SB. So enjoy this one while you can... The magazine portion isn't that bad. Because the Giants won the SB, they will have some Giants related issues (or articles) so it won't be so bad. But you're right...for the most part, they go striaght to the garbage can.

This is what I was thinking too, Nem. I think I am just going to do it.

If you don't want the magazines you can donate them to a school or library. At the very least recycle them.

Actually this is a very good idea or sell your subscription on eBay. I think the donation thing is a tax write off also so that's always good.

I ordered a Superbowl 43 program and the DvD from NflShop.com

Got the SI issue of us winning the SB and sealed it.

Got the SI issues from the two other SB Giant wins too...also sealed.

I have the other two buried like the Ark of the Covenant in hermetically sealed bags at the bottom of the cardboard magazine box vault in my sister's basement.

This is kinda off topic, but my wife, before the playoffs started, got me a Eli Manning Rookie card, limited edition that was only for sale one day. She got it for 99 cents. Wonder what its worth now?

99 cents :)

This is kinda off topic, but my wife, before the playoffs started, got me a Eli Manning Rookie card, limited edition that was only for sale one day. She got it for 99 cents. Wonder what its worth now?

$.98

Football and baseball cards are nothing like they used to be. Too many inserts and special sets. When I collected there was Topps, Bowman, Upper Deck, Fleer, score and Donruss. This is early-mid 90's. Now, each company has 10 sub sets, a autograph set, and a ball/glove/bat/jersey insert set, and all kinds of other shit. Upper Deck did the hollogram thing years ago, only a few of them. i've bought a pack or two here and there the last few years, and everytime I get something i think is awesome, it turns out to be just another card.

They flooded the market with all the special crap and ruined the collecting imo.

I have Arods rookie, jeters rookie, Teixeira, etc. And none of them would be worth selling unless I was a crack whore who needed 20 bucks. I buy Nolan Ryan cards from the 70's and I never pay more than maybe 35 bucks, and thats in good condition.

Your Eli rookie card won't be worth much until your grandkids get ready to sell it. nd even then it won't be much. The days of $50,000 Mickey mantle cards are long gone.

$.98

Football and baseball cards are nothing like they used to be. Too many inserts and special sets. When I collected there was Topps, Bowman, Upper Deck, Fleer, score and Donruss. This is early-mid 90's. Now, each company has 10 sub sets, a autograph set, and a ball/glove/bat/jersey insert set, and all kinds of other shit. Upper Deck did the hollogram thing years ago, only a few of them. i've bought a pack or two here and there the last few years, and everytime I get something i think is awesome, it turns out to be just another card.

They flooded the market with all the special crap and ruined the collecting imo.

I have Arods rookie, jeters rookie, Teixeira, etc. And none of them would be worth selling unless I was a crack whore who needed 20 bucks. I buy Nolan Ryan cards from the 70's and I never pay more than maybe 35 bucks, and thats in good condition.

Your Eli rookie card won't be worth much until your grandkids get ready to sell it. nd even then it won't be much. The days of $50,000 Mickey mantle cards are long gone.

Same thing with Comic Books....the biggest speculative bubble since the Tea Pot Dome scandal under America's first Black (shhhhhhh!!!) President...Harding. LOL. I sank hundreds (if not thousands of dollars) into that shit. Pissed me off to no end.

$.98

Well that sux. I was never into collecting cards, so I had no idea. Oh well.