SportsWrath

An Extension????????

GorillaNJ

Despite a disappointing 8-8 record and the team's uncertainty at general manager, head coach Tom Coughlin will return as the Giants' head coach next season.

Coughlin, who had one year remaining on his original four-year contract, agreed to a one-year extension.

One assistant coach acknowledged to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli on Tuesday night that the staff remains in the dark about its future.

Coughlin dismissed offensive coordinator John Hufnagel before the team's final regular-season game. Quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride assumed the play-calling chores for that contest and Sunday's wild-card game defeat at Philadelphia. There are almost certain to be further staffing changes in the offseason.

In three seasons with the Giants, Coughlin has compiled a 25-23 record in the regular season and 0-2 record in playoff appearances. But New York suffered through a tumultuous 2006 campaign, losing six of its final eight games after starting the season 6-2 and barely earning a wild-card berth.

The season was marked by a crippling spate of injuries but also by open criticism of Coughlin and some assistant coaches from several of the team's highest profile veterans. Still, retaining Coughlin would provide stability to a team whose co-owners, Wellington Mara and Bob Tisch, died within weeks of each other in late 2005 and which will lose general manager Ernie Accorsi to retirement next week.

However, Bill Parcells won't be filling Accorsi's job. The Cowboys coach reacted angrily Tuesday to a report that he he reached out to the Giants about the position.

"There is absolutely nothing to it," Parcells told the New York Daily News from Dallas. "Absolutely nothing. There has been no contact, either directly or through an intermediary. Whoever said it is a liar."

The meetings between Coughlin and ownership started Monday evening and continued through most of the day Tuesday. Tuesday's meetings were back and forth whether Coughlin would be back, but members of the Mara and Tisch families talked to some of the players still cleaning out their lockers in Giants Stadium and found solid support for keeping Coughlin.

Coughlin is one of five coaches to make the playoffs the past two seasons. He has been responsible for getting two franchises into the playoffs. He built the Jaguars from an expansion team into a playoff contender in the 1990s. His career record in the NFL is 97-88.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com. ESPN.com's John Clayton also contributed to this report.

i wish I could suck so bad at my job and get an extension..... hopefully this means we get Cowler after next year

i wish I could suck so bad at my job and get an extension..... hopefully this means we get Cowler after next year

The only logical reason I see for this is that they want Charlie Weiss (and the current pool of available coaches suck) but might have to wait another year and at the same time they don't want a lame-duck coach. Granted Both Coordinators are fired (Huff resigned I think) and we get a DC who's very capable (I'm hoping Carolina fires Fox.. wishful thinking).

The only logical reason I see for this is that they want Charlie Weiss (and the current pool of available coaches suck) but might have to wait another year and at the same time they don't want a lame-duck coach.

That`s what I`d call a lame duck coach, just keeping one more year to hire Bill Cowher.

NFL.COM

CALDWELL, N.J. (Jan. 10, 2007) -- Tom Coughlin will return to coach the New York Giants, according to a team official.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the team was to make a formal announcement during a noon conference call.

The team decided Wednesday that two straight playoff appearances outweighed a sub-par 2006 season and a dysfunctional locker room.

It was not immediately known if Coughlin was given a contract extension or he will work under the final year of a deal he signed in January 2004. He was to be paid $3 million under terms of that contract.

Gary O'Hagan, Coughlin's agent, declined comment when reached by The Associated Press.

The decision came three days after the Giants (8-9) capped a disappointing season with a last-second 23-20 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC wild-card game. It was the second straight season that ended with a first-round playoff defeat.

Coughlin, 25-25 with the Giants, probably will make changes to his coaching staff. What he does to improve the lackluster performance of quarterback Eli Manning remains to be seen. He also has to hope that Brandon Jacobs can step in and replace retiring halfback Tiki Barber, and there are concerns about the health of defensive end Michael Strahan, who was sidelined late in the season with foot problems.

I would have gone after the coach from Boise State or any number of highly successful college coaches. Perhaps they look at Holtz and Pete Carroll as successful college guys who didn't make the transition. But bringing Coughlin back is totally unacceptable.

I dont understand how this wasnt obvious to you all from the begining. Its like you dont know the Giants at all. Coughlin is a good coach. Gets the team prepared well during the week. We dont fall apart till game day, and thats more on the cordinators. Its really a win win. If Coughlin does have a good season with New OC and DC, then great. If not, you throw a truck load of money at BB and get his ass in here.

I dont understand how this wasnt obvious to you all from the begining. Its like you dont know the Giants at all. Coughlin is a good coach. Gets the team prepared well during the week. We dont fall apart till game day, and thats more on the cordinators. Its really a win win. If Coughlin does have a good season with New OC and DC, then great. If not, you throw a truck load of money at BB and get his ass in here.

I thought the idea was to get the team prepared for the game, not for during the week.

This is not a win win situation.

It is a reality now folks.

And the only reason he got the extension is so he isn't an OBVIOUS lame-duck coach next season to the players. Of course they will know he is lame-duck material.

if it's a well-known fact that the giants never let coaches go into their last season of a contract then the 2nd to last year will always be considered the lame-duck year. why does this not compute to giants ownership? he'll be treated no different than he would've been had he not gotten an extension.

I thought the idea was to get the team prepared for the game, not for during the week.

This is not a win win situation.

Well then just be ready to cry about it for the next 9 months, cause this is the situation were in.

Well then just be ready to cry about it for the next 9 months, cause this is the situation were in.

Crying is part of being a Giants fan since 1991.

I'm going to hope that the Team improves next year in spite of Tom. We should hope at this stage that we pick a good GM, and that we draft well. I can't see much help in free agency because well, would you come here now as a free agent?

Crying is part of being a Giants fan since 1991.

I'm going to hope that the Team improves next year in spite of Tom. We should hope at this stage that we pick a good GM, and that we draft well. I can't see much help in free agency because well, would you come here now as a free agent?

Hell as in fucking no! :furious:

sad thing is next year we'll start out 5-3 or 6-2 once again. People will say hey good thing they didn't fire Coughlin. However, we're so talented we can beat teams with no coach.

Then some guys will get injured, Coughlin will have to coach, the plays they call on offense will have to get creative, and then we're going to suck in the 2nd half, be one and done in the playoffs if they make it.

All 3 years when Coughlin was here and he was forced to coach in a game and outcoach somebody, he failed.

I guess we're settling for mediocrity. I have more respect for Isiah Thomas than Tom Coughlin.

sad thing is next year we'll start out 5-3 or 6-2 once again. People will say hey good thing they didn't fire Coughlin. However, we're so talented we can beat teams with no coach.

Then some guys will get injured, Coughlin will have to coach, the plays they call on offense will have to get creative, and then we're going to suck in the 2nd half, be one and done in the playoffs if they make it.

All 3 years when Coughlin was here and he was forced to coach in a game and outcoach somebody, he failed.

I guess we're settling for mediocrity. I have more respect for Isiah Thomas than Tom Coughlin.

The one exception may have been Seattle, where we still found a way to lose.

Coughlin was never forced to coach in a game. Thats what the cordinators do. Tom Never assumed play calling at any point. I love when people just say shit to suit there cause. WTF are you talking about?

You all would have said the same shit about Parcells, in his first couple years. But you will all be sweating his nutz once he brings super bowl glory

Coughlin was never forced to coach in a game. Thats what the cordinators do. Tom Never assumed play calling at any point. I love when people just say shit to suit there cause. WTF are you talking about?

You all would have said the same shit about Parcells, in his first couple years. But you will all be sweating his nutz once he brings super bowl glory

I hate him and want him to go....That being said... If he wins us the Superbowl I'll give him head :wub: