SportsWrath

What do you guys think about LaVar Arrington leaving the Skins...

Plax 4 Prez

Heard on Mike & Mike this morning that the chances are he'll probably be looking for a 1-2 year deal and basically audition for next year or the following year's free agency period to hit the big payday. I wouldn't mind giving him that 2 year deal with the 2nd year being voidable. Simiilar to the deal we gave Kurt Warner I think.

At the same time, we draft one the best rookie LBer we can. Arrington starts this year, rookie definitely gets some playing time. Next year, Arrington walks, rookie starts.

But when it comes to some of the FA LBers out there, I wouldn't mind having Witherspoon, Peterson, or even Cato June (I realize he's a RFA and it would cost a future draft pick) all before Arrington. If we landed Witherspoon or June, the possibility of drafting in a different direction than LB in the first round becomes much more plausible.

We need to draft a LB. not take some other teams damaged goods. For crying out loud, most players would be drooling to play in Gregg Williams defense and here's this guy who they had to bench because he couldn't conform. Don't touch him I say.

Arrington said yesterday that he wants to play on a team where he can come back and play at Fed Ex Field once a year (read NFC East). I always thought he was an overrated head case, but if he came to the Giants, I think Antonio Pierce would be the guy to light a fire under Arrington's ass. He still has a lot to prove, and if the Giants sign him, it should be low base salary, incentive-driven contract.

Guest Floyd The Barber

this is a great idea if you want to throw a wrench in the works of what the NYG's FO is trying to accomplish by building a sound, HOME BUILT unit of LB's...

we need no FA signing of some name, high profile, low impact player...

lets dedicate 2/3 picks in this years draft to this position and take it from there...

enough of these bullshit fantasy land acquistions...

the FAB 4 has already addressed this issue time and time again...

Arrington said yesterday that he wants to play on a team where he can come back and play at Fed Ex Field once a year (read NFC East). I always thought he was an overrated head case, but if he came to the Giants, I think Antonio Pierce would be the guy to light a fire under Arrington's ass. He still has a lot to prove, and if the Giants sign him, it should be low base salary, incentive-driven contract.

He also said to make some room in your PM inbox so people can reply to you. :ph34r:

We need to draft a LB. not take some other teams damaged goods. For crying out loud, most players would be drooling to play in Gregg Williams defense and here's this guy who they had to bench because he couldn't conform. Don't touch him I say.

Agree, espically if a new CBA is not agreed to, the little cap room we have will be better spent on a vet CB.

Agree, espically if a new CBA is not agreed to, the little cap room we have will be better spent on a vet CB.

I'm thinking that a lot of us are assuming it will be signed. I really don't think that either side wants to go into this season without an extension in place, evidenced by their willingness to extend the deadline twice. It is getting down to the wire, but both sides realize that any extension right now will be better in the long run than no extension at all.

The number one thing that I hate about baseball is the fact that some teams have much more flexibility when it comes to signing players than others. It almost creates an uneven playing field it seems. The NFL avoided that by the sharing of revenue and having a salary cap. If we go away from that, we're welcoming even higher salaries, higher ticket prices, and the unfairness between small market and large market teams.

However, I agree that if we have limited cap room, we have to look to shore up the secondary. I don't want to go into the season with a 2nd year player having the most starting experience in our secondary.

Guest Nutty Sack

In the meantime the guy we really should have dropped our draws for until this CBA thing is resolved has signed with the Rams. Glover would have relegated Willie J. to the Giants historical wasted first round draft heep where he belongs.

Again EA with his eye of the target.

I posted this in each of the two threads discussing Arrington and Madison, I put in bold the Arrington part.

Arrington and Madison tops Giants help-wanted List

Arrington, Madison top Giants' help-wanted list

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

The start of free agency is still two days away, but the Giants have begun actively pursuing at least one player to help them on defense.

And they could be after another one as well.

Cornerback Sam Madison, a nine-year veteran who was released by the Dolphins last week, visited the Giants yesterday and took a physical, according to a team official. Madison arrived in the morning and left early in the afternoon.

General manager Ernie Accorsi declined comment when asked about the negotiations and Madison's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not return several phone messages.

Meanwhile, one Giants player said yesterday that middle linebacker Antonio Pierce has begun making a big push for the team to sign outside linebacker LaVar Arrington, his former teammate with the Redskins.

Arrington, 27, was drafted second overall by Washington in 2000 and made three consecutive Pro Bowls beginning with his second season in the league when he recorded three interceptions. In 2002, the former Penn State star had a career-best 11 sacks and forced six fumbles the following season.

But Arrington's final two years in Washington were marred by a knee injury, a contract dispute and his being benched for one game this past season. At the time, the team said the benching was because Arrington was still recovering from his injury, but it was widely reported the coaching staff was upset with his undisciplined play in coordinator Gregg Williams' system.

On Sunday, Arrington agreed to a buyout of his contract instead of waiting until June to be released.

The Giants player, who requested anonymity, said the team is interested in Arrington, but isn't certain the franchise has enough money under the current salary cap to afford him. However, if the NFL owners accept the union's latest proposal for a new collective bargaining agreement today, the cap would rise about $10 million per team. That would give the Giants plenty of room to add Arrington.

The player also noted that while money will be a concern for Arrington, the fact that he forfeited $4 million to leave Washington is proof a good situation is also of major importance to him. Playing alongside Pierce on a team that is on the upswing could qualify as a good situation.

In a radio interview in Washington yesterday, Arrington said he wants to stay in the NFC East, but would prefer not to play for the Cowboys. That obviously leaves the Eagles and Giants as the top two on his list of potential destinations. In recent years, though, the Eagles have been reluctant to give big contracts to linebackers. Instead, they have settled on players such as Nate Wayne and former Giant Dhani Jones, who have come at discounted rates.

The Giants, who signed Pierce one year after adding outside linebacker and former Eagle Carlos Emmons in 2004, have been more willing to pour money into the position. Accorsi refused to comment on the team's interest in Arrington, whose agent, Carl Poston, did not return a phone message left at his office yesterday afternoon.

When asked yesterday on his way out of Giants Stadium if he had petitioned the team to pursue Arrington, Pierce would not comment. He did say, though, that he had recently been told by doctors he is back to 100 percent after suffering an ankle injury that kept him out of the final three regular-season games and the playoff loss to the Panthers.

It was in that defeat to Carolina that the Giants' injury-depleted back seven was exploited. It then became obvious the team needed more depth and reliable veterans at linebacker and in the secondary.

Madison, who turns 32 in April, could be the first player added to fill such voids. However, he is no longer the shutdown corner who had 20 interceptions combined in 1998-2000. In fact, Miami cut him even though he was willing to take a pay cut.

The Giants would like to add Madison at a discounted rate. With Will Allen likely to leave once free agency begins, Corey Webster entering his second year and Will Peterson's health uncertain, a player like Madison could be a reliable third corner and possibly a starter.

I posted this in each of the two threads discussing Arrington and Madison, I put in bold the Arrington part.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

The start of free agency is still two days away, but the Giants have begun actively pursuing at least one player to help them on defense.

Cornerback Sam Madison, a nine-year veteran who was released by the Dolphins last week, visited the Giants yesterday and took a physical, according to a team official. Madison arrived in the morning and left early in the afternoon.

General manager Ernie Accorsi declined comment when asked about the negotiations and Madison's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not return several phone messages.

Meanwhile, one Giants player said yesterday that middle linebacker Antonio Pierce has begun making a big push for the team to sign outside linebacker LaVar Arrington, his former teammate with the Redskins.

Arrington, 27, was drafted second overall by Washington in 2000 and made three consecutive Pro Bowls beginning with his second season in the league when he recorded three interceptions. In 2002, the former Penn State star had a career-best 11 sacks and forced six fumbles the following season.

But Arrington's final two years in Washington were marred by a knee injury, a contract dispute and his being benched for one game this past season. At the time, the team said the benching was because Arrington was still recovering from his injury, but it was widely reported the coaching staff was upset with his undisciplined play in coordinator Gregg Williams' system.

On Sunday, Arrington agreed to a buyout of his contract instead of waiting until June to be released.

The Giants player, who requested anonymity, said the team is interested in Arrington, but isn't certain the franchise has enough money under the current salary cap to afford him. However, if the NFL owners accept the union's latest proposal for a new collective bargaining agreement today, the cap would rise about $10 million per team. That would give the Giants plenty of room to add Arrington.

The player also noted that while money will be a concern for Arrington, the fact that he forfeited $4 million to leave Washington is proof a good situation is also of major importance to him. Playing alongside Pierce on a team that is on the upswing could qualify as a good situation.

In a radio interview in Washington yesterday, Arrington said he wants to stay in the NFC East, but would prefer not to play for the Cowboys. That obviously leaves the Eagles and Giants as the top two on his list of potential destinations. In recent years, though, the Eagles have been reluctant to give big contracts to linebackers. Instead, they have settled on players such as Nate Wayne and former Giant Dhani Jones, who have come at discounted rates.

The Giants, who signed Pierce one year after adding outside linebacker and former Eagle Carlos Emmons in 2004, have been more willing to pour money into the position. Accorsi refused to comment on the team's interest in Arrington, whose agent, Carl Poston, did not return a phone message left at his office yesterday afternoon.

When asked yesterday on his way out of Giants Stadium if he had petitioned the team to pursue Arrington, Pierce would not comment. He did say, though, that he had recently been told by doctors he is back to 100 percent after suffering an ankle injury that kept him out of the final three regular-season games and the playoff loss to the Panthers.

It was in that defeat to Carolina that the Giants' injury-depleted back seven was exploited. It then became obvious the team needed more depth and reliable veterans at linebacker and in the secondary.

Madison, who turns 32 in April, could be the first player added to fill such voids. However, he is no longer the shutdown corner who had 20 interceptions combined in 1998-2000. In fact, Miami cut him even though he was willing to take a pay cut.

The Giants would like to add Madison at a discounted rate. With Will Allen likely to leave once free agency begins, Corey Webster entering his second year and Will Peterson's health uncertain, a player like Madison could be a reliable third corner and possibly a starter.

Well. how about that? :TU:

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

:clap: great read :clap:

Yeah me too I think he would be a great addition....Even if he only plays hard during the skins games :P

trust me... if he plays for the Giants, he'll do way better just to prove that he is the shit and that we are better than the Skins

I think Pierce will keep him in line and infrmed of his dutties

can you imagine haveing a shitty ass coach that pisses you off all the time, then leave the team and stay in the same division.... that means he wants revenege!! I'd hate to see him next year as a Cowboy or Eagle... if we get him the majority of you will praise him like God!!

can you imagine haveing a shitty ass coach that pisses you off all the time, then leave the team and stay in the same division.... that means he wants revenege!! I'd hate to see him next year as a Cowboy or Eagle... if we get him the majority of you will praise him like God!!

God....Look at my sig...Eli is the son of God...No way Eli is Lavars son, This is unless his wife was cheating on him....Being god wouldn't he know his wife was cheating on him?

So back on topic :P

I would love to sign him...I just get the impression that he is on a mission :flex: