SportsWrath

"Hip drop" tackle banned.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Im sure this won't get called in some playoff game with the game on the line.

The Giants will get hit with this 5 times this season and no other team will have one flag thrown against them.

I really do not understand how they are supposed to tackle anymore...  Lets say Derrick Henry is running at a corner, he has to square up and hit him in the chest?   Better get an extra 5 CBs on rosters

1 minute ago, CrazedDogs said:

ooookay..... why? Horse collar tackle, okay, ban that, makes sense. But.... using your weight to pull down the opposing player. That's tackling, isn't it? 

I guess the issue if guys pull down the defender but then rotate around and land directly on the back of legs/ankles, which is where that whole "swivel and unweight" part of the new rules gets stressed.

I dunno though some of the tackles they showed that the owners were trying to highlight looked like pretty normal tackles to me.   

If I read correctly out of the thousands of tackles in the NFL the last few year this type of tackle has only occured a couple hundred times, less than 5%.

But still adding ANOTHER thing the refs have to watch for and make a judgement call when they are clearly overwhelmed with what they have to look for now.

Should be interesting. 

For every one of these rules that make it harder for the defense to do it's job in the name of safety, there should be a rule making it equally as hard for the offense to do it's job. 

3 hours ago, BronxRik said:

For every one of these rules that make it harder for the defense to do it's job in the name of safety, there should be a rule making it equally as hard for the offense to do it's job. 

Yep... prepare for 40 point plus+ games to be the norm.

16 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I guess the issue if guys pull down the defender but then rotate around and land directly on the back of legs/ankles, which is where that whole "swivel and unweight" part of the new rules gets stressed.

I dunno though some of the tackles they showed that the owners were trying to highlight looked like pretty normal tackles to me.   

If I read correctly out of the thousands of tackles in the NFL the last few year this type of tackle has only occured a couple hundred times, less than 5%.

But still adding ANOTHER thing the refs have to watch for and make a judgement call when they are clearly overwhelmed with what they have to look for now.

Should be interesting. 

yeah, it sounds like a side effect of rugby tackling technique.... but I think that's safer, it takes the head out of the tackle. 

So guess its head in front and drive the hips or nothing? Oh, but don't forget not to lower the helmet, that's a penalty too. 

Not even remotely a fan of this rule change. I think it will be a mistake, it's going to encourage head on head collisions.

7 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

yeah, it sounds like a side effect of rugby tackling technique.... but I think that's safer, it takes the head out of the tackle. 

So guess its head in front and drive the hips or nothing? Oh, but don't forget not to lower the helmet, that's a penalty too. 

Not even remotely a fan of this rule change. I think it will be a mistake, it's going to encourage head on head collisions.

If I counseled any young athlete I would tell them to go into basketball, baseball, tennis, even soccer before even thinking about football.  Too many opportunities to be crippled, demented and otherwise impacted negatively though playing this "game" from HS to beyond.  Just not worth it.

19 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

If I counseled any young athlete I would tell them to go into basketball, baseball, tennis, even soccer before even thinking about football.  Too many opportunities to be crippled, demented and otherwise impacted negatively though playing this "game" from HS to beyond.  Just not worth it.

heh, well, I would too, but the thing is, pretty much all the guys in Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, or Soccer, are either more athletically gifted than the NFL guys, or they had the resources to spend countless hours developing a particular skill, or both. 

The NFL is the only path to being a pro athlete for a lot of guys, whether that's due to limitations in their hand-eye coordination talent, or just whether they had the opportunity to have, for ex., golf lessons as a kid. But anyone who is sufficiently large, strong, or fast, can get a cup of coffee in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

heh, well, I would too, but the thing is, pretty much all the guys in Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, or Soccer, are either more athletically gifted than the NFL guys, or they had the resources to spend countless hours developing a particular skill, or both. 

The NFL is the only path to being a pro athlete for a lot of guys, whether that's due to limitations in their hand-eye coordination talent, or just whether they had the opportunity to have, for ex., golf lessons as a kid. But anyone who is sufficiently large, strong, or fast, can get a cup of coffee in the NFL. 

It's true, that's one of the things I love about it. 

For instance, Jason Kelce is going to end up in the Hall of Fame... name one more professional sport where he had a chance to make a roster. 

9 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

For instance, Jason Kelce is going to end up in the Hall of Fame... name one more professional sport where he had a chance to make a roster. 

I bet he could have played first base or catcher, maybe a relief pitcher

4 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

I was thinking maybe DH, but honestly I think he's probably too big for that. 

12 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I was thinking maybe DH, but honestly I think he's probably too big for that. 

Probably a hockey goalie or a defenseman, depending on his ability to skate

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Well, I don't know, he's a great athlete, but hitting a ball is a very different skill from banging skulls with Aaron Donald. Does Jason Kelce have skills like that? Maybe, that might be what makes him a hall of fame level football player. 

Going way back, a good example is Alex Karras. He was supposedly a hell of a baseball player, but had poor vision, couldn't hit breaking pitches. But a football lineman only needs to see color. 

A guy I played against in high school was a two sport star. He chose baseball and toiled in the minors for years. Decided to go back to football and enrolled at Tennessee and lit it up as a we, he was a qb in high school. If he didn’t get hurt his last year in college he may have had a really good nfl career. Even still he got drafted and played several years with modest success. Kelly Washington is his name. 

7 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

I agree... it is also a gateway to being crippled, demented, discarded and turned into modern day gladiators.  Go the academic route as that is the best course.  I was a good HS level free safety and corner back but I said fuck that life.  With the aneurysm that they took out after they dealt with the stroke... I would have been dead early most likely on the field.  So I am grateful that I did not go into college football.

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

4 hours ago, GorillaNJ said:

Yeah bro... first base does not require much athleticism and he could last being a catcher.  Right field would be a good place to hide him as well.  Power forward is made for guys like Kelce.

7 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Yeah bro... first base does not require much athleticism and he could last being a catcher.  Right field would be a good place to hide him as well.  Power forward is made for guys like Kelce.

I thought power forward but he’s only 6’3

5 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

I thought power forward but he’s only 6’3

I think of a power forward as a banger...rebounder and garbage scorer there to help out the center.  It is the off guard... shooting forward that are the scorers in my mind.  With the point guard setting up the plays and getting the ball up court.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 4:39 AM, CrazedDogs said:

It's not a rugby technique at all, it's just lazy technique. Here's what we train:

Tackle from behind
61a.jpg
  • Chase the ball carrier until within tackling distance
  • Wrap the arms around the hips/legs of the ball carrier
  • With the head to the side, make contact with the shoulder and pull the arms inward

62a.jpg

63a.jpg

• Squeeze the arms tight and slide down the ball carrier’s body (remembering to keep the head to one side) until the ball carrier is taken to the floor and finish on top

On 3/28/2024 at 11:24 AM, Sephiroth said:

He'd be a Hooker or Prop in rugby, after you took some of that baby fat off him anyway.