SportsWrath

I'm very dumb.

Sephiroth

I’m not convinced the team is this bad.  

So far we’ve played four teams that are legit Super Bowl contenders.  We’re not at that level yet and yes, we’ve largely looked uncompetitive in those games.  However, I’d also like to point out the state of our team during that stretch: 

- Our two best offensive players have been out (Thomas and Barkley). Our QB is about to be out. 
- We literally have five guards starting on the offensive line, and nobody besides Neal has played a single position for more than a game. 

The offense sucks, but show me the team that can go toe-to-toe with four of the best teams in the league in that state. 

The good news is, after the ass-kicking we’re sure to take this week, I think the next few games are largely winnable.  After the Bills, the next teams on the docket are: 

Commanders (they suck)
Jets (they suck)
Raiders (they suck)

That would take us to 4-5 when we play the Cowboys again.  I think playoffs are out, but I can easily see a 8-9 season, which isn’t “worst team in the league.”  If we lose to the Commies we'll know we can start talking about a top-5 pick. 

Yeah coming into this season I looked at this stretch and figured if we went 3-3 with not a disastrous amount of injuries we could compete for a wildcard spot.  What happened was about as bad it gets though, not sure there’s any coming back from 1-5 with the guys we have out.  I also didn’t count on Miami being THIS good either 

It's not just the record though. The dropped passes, awful blocking, and my favorite...Neal whiffing at air while twirling like a jewelry box ballerina. Plus, it just feels like there's no effort. Like, "oh well, 11 sacks, shucks, we'll try harder". I dunno, I wait months for a new season and I already feel as if there's no hope. I love 'em, I'll keep watching and buying gear, but this sucks. 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

So far we’ve played four teams that are legit Super Bowl contenders.  We’re not at that level yet and yes, we’ve largely looked uncompetitive in those games.  However, I’d also like to point out the state of our team during that stretch: 

- Our two best offensive players have been out (Thomas and Barkley). Our QB is about to be out. 
- We literally have five guards starting on the offensive line, and nobody besides Neal has played a single position for more than a game. 

The offense sucks, but show me the team that can go toe-to-toe with four of the best teams in the league in that state. 

The good news is, after the ass-kicking we’re sure to take this week, I think the next few games are largely winnable.  After the Bills, the next teams on the docket are: 

Commanders (they suck)
Jets (they suck)
Raiders (they suck)

That would take us to 4-5 when we play the Cowboys again.  I think playoffs are out, but I can easily see a 8-9 season, which isn’t “worst team in the league.”  If we lose to the Commies we'll know we can start talking about a top-5 pick. 

The Jets defense is going to mop the floor with our O line, Daniel Jones / Tyrod Taylor.

3 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The Jets defense is going to mop the floor with our O line, Daniel Jones / Tyrod Taylor.

Maxx Crosby has gotta be chomping at the bit too.

20% of the reason the teams we've played look as good as they do is us.  

20 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Commanders (they suck)
Jets (they suck)
Raiders (they suck)

Do I think we are bottom of the league? Naww.

We have 17+ players on the injury report.

Some of our best players are hurt.

We have a schedule facing Playoff/SB contending teams (despite some efforts to say records don't matter from last year lol) 

All in all this is a reality check for the Giants, they overachieved last year with a very weak roster that stayed relatively healthy.  

Teams have had a year to study game film on Daboll and Co and expose those weaknesses, doesn't help when the entire starting Oline is hurt and our only threat on offense is hurt as well. 

I wouldn't sleep on those three teams either, Jets and Raiders have a top 10 defence and The Washington Team That Plays The Game of Football we could barely beat last year. 

1-8 isn't out of the realm of possibility, neither is 4-5. 

As I said just a reality check of a season.

Next season we get cap room and a projected top 10 draft pick, Schoen and Daboll will be able to get out of the cap hell Getty put us in and start bringing in players to the team.

We're still a few years off and hopefully the Giants get it right this time. 

But I have my doubts after 10+ years of this and getting to enjoy this season of fun. 

38 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

There's this too which doesn't help lol 

20 minutes ago, jranieli said:

The whole NFC East got hit with a really tough schedule. Looks like this is a Giants rebuild year. 

Rebuild and be totally cap free of Gettelman's garbage in 2024-2025.  Just another year.  Watch Schoen and Daboll go after a QB of their own in 2024 and/or 2025.  DJ is just a stop gap at best.  Write down these words... the Giants have endured much so I can see a special QB and one that is slightly above serviceable.  DJ fits the serviceable quite well.  Almost like the Knicks that were built around Patrick Ewing and the rest were scraps, might have been's and never were... :laugh:  Enjoy the ride... when we start winning again it will be that much more satisfying.

15 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Rebuild and be totally cap free of Gettelman's garbage in 2024-2025.  Just another year.  Watch Schoen and Daboll go after a QB of their own in 2024 and/or 2025.  DJ is just a stop gap at best.  Write down these words... the Giants have endured much so I can see a special QB and one that is slightly above serviceable.  DJ fits the serviceable quite well.  Almost like the Knicks that were built around Patrick Ewing and the rest were scraps, might have been's and never were... :laugh:  Enjoy the ride... when we start winning again it will be that much more satisfying.

Why did they give him the contract then?

On 10/13/2023 at 10:45 AM, BlueInCanada said:

Do I think we are bottom of the league? Naww.

We have 17+ players on the injury report.

Some of our best players are hurt.

We have a schedule facing Playoff/SB contending teams (despite some efforts to say records don't matter from last year lol) 

All in all this is a reality check for the Giants, they overachieved last year with a very weak roster that stayed relatively healthy.  

Teams have had a year to study game film on Daboll and Co and expose those weaknesses, doesn't help when the entire starting Oline is hurt and our only threat on offense is hurt as well. 

I wouldn't sleep on those three teams either, Jets and Raiders have a top 10 defence and The Washington Team That Plays The Game of Football we could barely beat last year. 

1-8 isn't out of the realm of possibility, neither is 4-5. 

As I said just a reality check of a season.

Next season we get cap room and a projected top 10 draft pick, Schoen and Daboll will be able to get out of the cap hell Getty put us in and start bringing in players to the team.

We're still a few years off and hopefully the Giants get it right this time. 

But I have my doubts after 10+ years of this and getting to enjoy this season of fun. 

If we drop the Commanders and Jets games we need to have a fire sale. Start from the ground up and hope that 2023 draft is the real Joe Schoen, not 2022.

11 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Why did they give him the contract then?

Not the first time the Giants have engaged in fiscal madness bro.  He would be decent behind a decent line... though as is with many things... people tend to want their own and not to inherit important pieces of what they consider to be their potential legacy.  I don't Daboll and/or Schoen want to attach their stars to DJ or Barkley at this point.  I want the Giants to be perennial contenders... not this up and down stuff.