SportsWrath

Danny Dimes

BlueInCanada

1 minute ago, mastershake said:

Great, he's going to need it behind this disastrous offensive line.

I think it's actually improved from last year.

Thomas at LT.

Hernandez at G.

Hippo/Lemieux at center.

Zeitler at G.

Gates at RT.

Honestly Gates played extremely well at RT in the later part of the season.

The biggest question mark is center but  Lemieux is the wild card and Pulley can even be a consideration there.

4 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I think it's actually improved from last year.

Thomas at LT.

Hernandez at G.

Hippo/Lemieux at center.

Zeitler at G.

Gates at RT.

Honestly Gates played extremely well at RT in the later part of the season.

The biggest question mark is center but  Lemieux is the wild card and Pulley can even be a consideration there.

Improved how? Any rookie at LT will be going through some growing pains, we don't have a starting capable Center (or in your case, you have a rookie possibly starting), Hernandez is terrible, and Gates is okay. If Zeitler goes down with an injury again, this line falls apart.

You need to prepare yourself for the fact that anyway you cut it, the line is going to be a disaster this season. Weak link.

1 minute ago, mastershake said:

Improved how? Any rookie at LT will be going through some growing pains, we don't have a starting capable Center (or in your case, you have a rookie possibly starting), Hernandez is terrible, and Gates is okay. If Zeitler goes down with an injury again, this line falls apart.

You need to prepare yourself for the fact that anyway you cut it, the line is going to be a disaster this season. Weak link.

Thomas is an immediate upgrade over Solder and I don't see how you can say otherwise.

Your hard on for the Hebandez hate is real but still he's not a lost cause by any means and now has one for the best Oline coaches to get him ready. Not to mention he's only in his third year.

Rookie centers do well in the NFL and guess who the coach was he got many of them ready? You guessed it Colombo. Pulley also didn't do bad at center last year either.

Zeitler is a stud and Gates can also fill in at guard.

RT is the big question mark but like I said I think the plan is for Gates to start there.

But your scenario of "if you lose a xyz player the unit falls apart" applies to many Olines in the NFL.

The Oline is better and I think it will be, are we talking top 10 of the NFL? No way but it won't be bottom 25.

12 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Thomas is an immediate upgrade over Solder and I don't see how you can say otherwise.

Your hard on for the Hebandez hate is real but still he's not a lost cause by any means and now has one for the best Oline coaches to get him ready. Not to mention he's only in his third year.

Rookie centers do well in the NFL and guess who the coach was he got many of them ready? You guessed it Colombo. Pulley also didn't do bad at center last year either.

Zeitler is a stud and Gates can also fill in at guard.

RT is the big question mark but like I said I think the plan is for Gates to start there.

But your scenario of "if you lose a xyz player the unit falls apart" applies to many Olines in the NFL.

The Oline is better and I think it will be, are we talking top 10 of the NFL? No way but it won't be bottom 25.

A tree would be an upgrade over Solder. That's not saying much.

Agree to disagree on the rest. This OL is going to be a weak link all 4 games of this season.

On 8/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, mastershake said:

Still improved... You have to build your OL somehow... and the draft is how Dallas did it.. it does take a few years but at least we're now addressing it unlike years past. 

1 hour ago, Nas said:

Still improved... You have to build your OL somehow... and the draft is how Dallas did it.. it does take a few years but at least we're now addressing it unlike years past. 

D vs the D- from last year. Yeah some improvement, lol. We do not have a competent, capable O-Line this year, and you'll see it show.

Again, we have a rookie at LT, so there will be ups and downs and growing pains.

Hernandez is a big wildcard, and was atrocious last year. He will have to make a big leap to be a starting capable G.

We have unproven guys/backup caliber guys slated to start at C and RT.

The only guy you can really rely on, when healthy, is Kevin Zeitler at RG...that's it. And if he goes down, the O-line is really fucked.

If you're comfortable with the O-line that we have going into the season, then you're in for some major disappointment here. You should not feel comfortable, and you need to lower your expectations drastically.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

D vs the D- from last year. Yeah some improvement, lol. We do not have a competent, capable O-Line this year, and you'll see it show.

Again, we have a rookie at LT, so there will be ups and downs and growing pains.

Hernandez is a big wildcard, and was atrocious last year. He will have to make a big leap to be a starting capable G.

The only guy you can really rely on, when healthy, is Kevin Zeitler at RG...that's it. And if he goes down, the O-line is really fucked.

If you're comfortable with the O-line that we have going into the season, then you're in for some major disappointment here. You should not feel comfortable, and you need to lower your expectations drastically.

dnc1dypbeco41.jpg

It was bad and yet I expect it to be better.  Solder had a bad year and Halapio was exposed as a overachieving center who performed as badly as Solder which affected the play of Hernandez.  You've pointed out Zeitler is the best of the bunch and I agree and now we have a new RT.  I expect Thomas to start at LT and Gates to play RT, I think Spencer  Pulley will start at Center which leaves us with an offensive line with inexperienced players at tackle and questionable talent at center.  Where we do have experience in our Guards they are surrounded by question marks since Pulley is even less effective than Halapio.

So really why do I expect it to get better considering everything I pointed out above?  A different coaching staff and a fan's hope.

6 hours ago, mastershake said:

I'd say it's unproven, but maybe not worse. We just don't know what we have. Thomas may be a huge improvement over Solder and Gates may be much better than Remmers, but until probably next season we just won't know. 

What will really hurt the OL more than anything is the lack of practice reps and being game ready - more so than the personnel. That repeated practice that gels the line together is missing because of Covid and thats what will hurt this team more than anything. Hopefully as the season progresses they get better.

12 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I'd say it's unproven, but maybe not worse. We just don't know what we have. Thomas may be a huge improvement over Solder and Gates may be much better than Remmers, but until probably next season we just won't know. 

Unproven is fair. Thomas, Hernandez, and Gates (who I like) all have potential upside, so if they step up quickly, it could be a solid line. Emphasis on the word 'if' though.

You have to believe that Marc Colombo and Jason Garrett can get this O line serviceable as well as any coaching duo in the NFL

It might take a few weeks , but i expect heavy doses of Barkley for 2 yards gain on first down and second downs , followed by short passes to Engram and Shep.

Maybe Danny Dimes can pick up a few yards himself without fumbling and lets hope that Saquon can break a few big ones all the way.

8 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

You have to believe that Marc Colombo and Jason Garrett can get this O line serviceable as well as any coaching duo in the NFL

It might take a few weeks , but i expect heavy doses of Barkley for 2 yards gain on first down and second downs , followed by short passes to Engram and Shep.

Maybe Danny Dimes can pick up a few yards himself without fumbling and lets hope that Saquon can break a few big ones all the way.

If we get "Saquon up the middle for 1" more than three times per game I'm going to lose my shit. Shurmur called that tired assed play a dozen times each week and it never worked. He's not an inside runner. 

10 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

If we get "Saquon up the middle for 1" more than three times per game I'm going to lose my shit. 

im afraid you are going to lose your shit Seph ........cause this will still happen quite a lot ( IMO ) ......lets hope he can get 3 not -1 this year

Gallman is a much tougher interior runner, if he can stay healthy. 

Saquon is likely best with zone blacking schemes which create gaps/space and movement, and can allow him to explore those gaps. He's not going to be an Emmitt Smith (not that we even have that type of pro bowl line), Curtis Martin, Rodney Hampton, Frank Gore etc style grinder through the middle. I'm not saying don't give him interior runs, I'm just pointing out he's not this grinding style type for 20x+ runs per game. Probably needs a 50/50 split of outside, off tackle vs interior runs.

17 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

If we get "Saquon up the middle for 1" more than three times per game I'm going to lose my shit. Shurmur called that tired assed play a dozen times each week and it never worked. He's not an inside runner. 

I think it had more to do with the OL than the RB...  A runner is a runner... give him a lane and he'll get you more than 1 yard.

Sounds like Gates is getting a hard look at Center. Would be great if he won the spot there with Phlegming at RT and Limeaux backing up the three inside spots. Have Peart backing up the two tackle spots and we might be a middling-to-good O-line this year. 

On 8/13/2020 at 8:22 PM, Sephiroth said:

We'll I got some bad news for you.

Garrett is a power scheme run coach.

And that's great because Barkley is about as good as a between the tackle runner as anyone.

Then again there's nothing he can't do as a runner.

He's the complete package.

On 8/15/2020 at 5:51 PM, BlueInCanada said:

We'll I got some bad news for you.

Garrett is a power scheme run coach.

And that's great because Barkley is about as good as a between the tackle runner as anyone.

Then again there's nothing he can't do as a runner.

He's the complete package.

Exactly. He has fucking V-12 pistons on those legs and can run between, outside, open space, off tackle - anything...plus a dangerous threat from the backfield in the passing game. I want Garrett to get as creative as possible with Barkley - Barkley needs to be able to mask some of the OL deficiencies as well