SportsWrath

Danny Dimes

BlueInCanada

On 8/14/2020 at 1:53 PM, Sephiroth said:

Sounds like Gates is getting a hard look at Center. Would be great if he won the spot there with Phlegming at RT and Limeaux backing up the three inside spots. Have Peart backing up the two tackle spots and we might be a middling-to-good O-line this year. 

Isn't Gates like 6' 7"? isn't that too tall for a center? This is a rebuild year for the OLine.  anyone expecting for 2 young Olinemen and make an immediate impact is sadly mistaken. The line WILL struggle this year again. 

15 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

Isn't Gates like 6' 7"? isn't that too tall for a center? This is a rebuild year for the OLine.  anyone expecting for 2 young Olinemen and make an immediate impact is sadly mistaken. The line WILL struggle this year again. 

Gates is 6'5," an inch taller than Travis Frederick. 

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Also, Matt Peart has looked awesome and Andrew Thomas has been worked over by apparently everyone on the d - line. Clearly, Peart should be the starter. 

Also from Art:

"#NYG worked a lot on combo blocks and exchanges during run game drills.

Andrew Thomas and Will Hernandez were punishing at times on the left side.

On one play, C Nick Gates slid around RG Kevin Zeitler and delivered a thump of a head-on block."

...that first line is my favorite, that's where they really let us down up front last year. In one on one blocking situations the OL was actually pretty decent in 2019, to my recollection.  It always seemed to be when passing a stunt or miscommunications on who handles a given gap that blew things up.

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Also from Art:

"#NYG worked a lot on combo blocks and exchanges during run game drills.

Andrew Thomas and Will Hernandez were punishing at times on the left side.

On one play, C Nick Gates slid around RG Kevin Zeitler and delivered a thump of a head-on block."

...that first line is my favorite, that's where they really let us down up front last year. In one on one blocking situations the OL was actually pretty decent in 2019, to my recollection.  It always seemed to be when passing a stunt or miscommunications on who handles a given gap that blew things up.

I think these guys definitely have the skills to be a good o-line (I was kidding about replacing Thomas, I think he'll be a good tackle for us). It's going to take a while to gel though with so many new/young players in the unit. 

If there's a full season, I'd hope they'd start to look decent by week 8 or so... but of course would be very happy if they could put it all together right away. 

7 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I think these guys definitely have the skills to be a good o-line (I was kidding about replacing Thomas, I think he'll be a good tackle for us). It's going to take a while to gel though with so many new/young players in the unit. 

If there's a full season, I'd hope they'd start to look decent by week 8 or so... but of course would be very happy if they could put it all together right away. 

Keep in mind as well both Garrett and Colombo have a history of taking rookie Olineman and making them probowlers in year one.

It was basically their staple in Dallas.