SportsWrath

Leonard Williams placed on non football injury list.

BlueInCanada

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

How did it happen?

Showed up to the physical with a sore hammy.

Giants put him on this list to make room for the 90 man roster.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

So essentially, our two highest paid players (by far), Williams and Solder, are currently not on the roster. Nice.

Solder only counts 150k against the cap now plus any roster bonus he would make for being on the team, his "guaranteed" money will be pushed back a year to 2021, as well as contract length, so it's like he bought himself an extra year on the Giants for opting out.

7 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Showed up to the physical with a sore hammy.

Giants put him on this list to make room for the 90 man roster.

Solder only counts 150k against the cap now plus any roster bonus he would make for being on the team, his "guaranteed" money will be pushed back a year to 2021, as well as contract length, so it's like he bought himself an extra year on the Giants for opting out.

Where did you see that? On Spotrac, they have him counting $9.5mm as dead cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/cap/

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Where did you see that? On Spotrac, they have him counting $9.5mm as dead cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/cap/

It's part of the covid rules.

If a player opts out voluntarily they are only paid 150k against the cap (which is paid from their guaranteed money) I don't think any site has any of the updated covid #s yet.

The rest of their contract is pushed back a year essentially.

https://overthecap.com/the-impact-of-the-covid-rules-on-the-salary-cap-and-nfl-contracts/

They actually show the Giants having an extra 16 million in cap now from Solder opting out.

Teams have saved a good amount of cap room, based on the rules we were told are likely to happen (all is subject to the final agreement so this can change) which can be rolled over to next year. Here is the list of savings thus far based on the official opt outs.

Team Players Cap Saved
Patriots 5 $19,481,249
Giants 1 $16,400,000

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's part of the covid rules.

If a player opts out voluntarily they are only paid 150k against the cap (which is paid from their guaranteed money) I don't think any site has any of the updated covid #s yet.

The rest of their contract is pushed back a year essentially.

https://overthecap.com/the-impact-of-the-covid-rules-on-the-salary-cap-and-nfl-contracts/

They actually show the Giants having an extra 16 million in cap now from Solder opting out.

Interesting. I thought most bonuses were pro-rated and counted against the cap regardless of whether the player was on the team or not (ie since it is guaranteed). For instance, the giants still have to pay Solder all of his guaranteed money, if I'm not mistaken.

Just now, mastershake said:

Interesting. I thought most bonuses were pro-rated and counted against the cap regardless of whether the player was on the team or not (ie since it is guaranteed). For instance, the giants still have to pay Solder all of his guaranteed money, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh you're right, like I said their roster bonus and stuff is still paid out this year, it's just that his full 16 is pushed back a year.

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I think (I could be wrong) that In his case, a 4 year contract with $34.8mm guaranteed = $9.6mm dead cap. this year

The site you link breaks down the 9.6 million. He makes 3 million for being on the roster, 4 million dollar signing bonus (which was spread out over his contract instead of one lump sum at the start of it) he has a 2.5 million dollar restructure bonus.

He will only make the roster bonus if the Giants keep him on the team this year (according to the Covid rules) everything else will be pushed to next year when his contract will restart in 2021.

So instead of Solder being off the team in 2022, his contract now expires in 2023.

6 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Another problem is, we could have released Solder earlier in the FA process and re-invested the $6.5mm net cap savings into another offensive lineman. Now it's just a total loss.

They would of had to pay an additional 7 million the year after as well.

So they would of lost a player, saved 6 million (which wouldn't of gotten us a Olineman worth a damn in FA) and would of had to pay again next year.

If they released him back in March though, before his roster bonus it would of made more sense, but that was before the draft and everything so who knew they would end up with Thomas and Peart.

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

They would of had to pay an additional 7 million the year after as well.

So they would of lost a player, saved 6 million (which wouldn't of gotten us a Olineman worth a damn in FA) and would of had to pay again next year.

If they released him back in March though, before his roster bonus it would of made more sense, but that was before the draft and everything so who knew they would end up with Thomas and Peart.

I seriously doubt Solder is on the roster next season, whether there is COVID-19 or not.

1 minute ago, mastershake said:

I seriously doubt Solder is on the roster next season, whether there is COVID-19 or not.

Next year is going to be weird, who knows what the cap even is next year.

There are talks about the cap GOING DOWN 20/30 million next year due to revenue loss this year.

Especially if the season is cancelled.

• 2 weeks later...