Jump to content
SportsWrath

I’m still upset over the picks we gave the Jets...


Nas
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wtf did they see in the bust the Jets had anyway?  As a rule, we should never trade with the Jets anyway... let alone an idiotic trade like that one.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

devil's advocate --- the odds of any of those players between 36 and 99 actually being a better player than Leonard Williams is pretty darn low. He's below expectations.... but he's not a bad player at all. 

 

I don't know if people think he's a bad player but he's hardly worth anything we gave up for him.

Not to mention we have some sting DTs on the team without him.

I'd rather have one of that centers Hennessy or Cushenburry than Williams IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

devil's advocate --- the odds of any of those players between 36 and 99 actually being a better player than Leonard Williams is pretty darn low. He's below expectations.... but he's not a bad player at all. 

 

The problem with the trade is it didn't need to happen. We could have just signed him in the off-season, likely for far cheaper, if we really wanted him. Possibly for something like 4 years $40-48 million, which wouldn't be too bad (I would have invested elsewhere, but that wouldn't be a bad deal).

And we'd have a high 3rd rounder this year, a premium pick.

I also trusted BJ Hill just fine in his place. Yes, Hill isn't as good, but it's not a huge drop-off to free up $17mm in cap space to allocate elsewhere. That $17mm could have gotten is Graham Glasgow and Markus Golden.

It's just a huge blunder on Gettlemen's part. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The problem with the trade is it didn't need to happen. We could have just signed him in the off-season, likely for far cheaper, if we really wanted him. Possibly for something like 4 years $40-48 million, which wouldn't be too bad (I would have invested elsewhere, but that wouldn't be a bad deal).

And we'd have a high 3rd rounder this year, a premium pick.

I also trusted BJ Hill just fine in his place. Yes, Hill isn't as good, but it's not a huge drop-off to free up $17mm in cap space to allocate elsewhere. That $17mm could have gotten is Graham Glasgow and Markus Golden.

It's just a huge blunder on Gettlemen's part. 

That’s what I mean. Hill makes something like 1.5 million this year and Williams is making 16. Does anyone think Williams is five times the player that Hill is? 

I'd much rather have Hill and Tomlinson as our starting DTs and have Josh Jones or Zach Baun on the roster... and maybe pick up a Markus Golden or Jadaveon Clowney on a cheap "prove it" deal. This was Gettleman trying to prove he was smarter than everyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm getting tired of these threads.  Get over it already its been done and it was his decision to make.  Hard to call it a huge blunder based on 8 games and a massive salary cap hit yet I have yet to see the fruits of this trade like the rest of you.  Under a different coach and he performs like Richard Seymour is everyone going to shut the fuck up about it?  Nope because it was only one year.  Gotta let it play out because we don't have a choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I'm getting tired of these threads.  Get over it already its been done and it was his decision to make.  Hard to call it a huge blunder based on 8 games and a massive salary cap hit yet I have yet to see the fruits of this trade like the rest of you.  Under a different coach and he performs like Richard Seymour is everyone going to shut the fuck up about it?  Nope because it was only one year.  Gotta let it play out because we don't have a choice.

He's had three coaches already, but now his fourth will make him Richard Seymour? And no other GM in the league could see that but Getty? Hah!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I'm getting tired of these threads.  Get over it already its been done and it was his decision to make.  Hard to call it a huge blunder based on 8 games and a massive salary cap hit yet I have yet to see the fruits of this trade like the rest of you.  Under a different coach and he performs like Richard Seymour is everyone going to shut the fuck up about it?  Nope because it was only one year.  Gotta let it play out because we don't have a choice.

So you're saying we shouldn't criticize one of the worst teams in football for trading for an underachiever (base on his prior 3 1/2 years) and then giving him a top 5 DL contract for a year?

Oh ok.

I guess the Giants have been doing so much right we can't say anything.

Stop logging on the website guys, can't say anything because we don't control anything the team does.

I mean I guess we can't say anything about this draft either because there's nothing we can do and we wont know the results until four years down the road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I'm getting tired of these threads.  Get over it already its been done and it was his decision to make.  Hard to call it a huge blunder based on 8 games and a massive salary cap hit yet I have yet to see the fruits of this trade like the rest of you.  Under a different coach and he performs like Richard Seymour is everyone going to shut the fuck up about it?  Nope because it was only one year.  Gotta let it play out because we don't have a choice.

Then don't read the thread.

This is the internet Temp, you'd better get used to opinions you don't like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I'm getting tired of these threads.  Get over it already its been done and it was his decision to make.  Hard to call it a huge blunder based on 8 games and a massive salary cap hit yet I have yet to see the fruits of this trade like the rest of you.  Under a different coach and he performs like Richard Seymour is everyone going to shut the fuck up about it?  Nope because it was only one year.  Gotta let it play out because we don't have a choice.

Perhaps you missed the point... I am not over it... I’m still upset 😡 and a lot of other fans are upset too... a very high third round pick plus a boatload of money for a bust.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nas said:

Perhaps you missed the point... I am not over it... I’m still upset 😡 and a lot of other fans are upset too... a very high third round pick plus a boatload of money for a bust.   

Especially since the draft was two days ago and it's fresh in our minds exactly what we gave up... for a player that right now looks like an overpaid malcontent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

That’s what I mean. Hill makes something like 1.5 million this year and Williams is making 16. Does anyone think Williams is five times the player that Hill is? 

I'd much rather have Hill and Tomlinson as our starting DTs and have Josh Jones or Zach Baun on the roster... and maybe pick up a Markus Golden or Jadaveon Clowney on a cheap "prove it" deal. This was Gettleman trying to prove he was smarter than everyone. 

Last year, he was. 

2018, give me BJ Hill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

Last year, he was. 

2018, give me BJ Hill. 

If you trust PFF (and I'm not sure I do when it comes to the lines honestly ) Hill actually graded out as the better player. He had the lot less sacks compared to the year before but most people forget that three came in one game. 

Williams looked at better via the eye test for sure but I'm not sure it was a night and day difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tempest said:

It's crying over spilled milk.

And we're allowed to do that... this mistake was too boneheaded for us to just sweep under the rug.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nas said:

And we're allowed to do that... this mistake was too boneheaded for us to just sweep under the rug.

Yeah, plus I don't see how this is any different than us normally berating Gettlemen for his prior two poor free agencies like we always do. No different than any fans berating their GM in general for poor decisions.

It's what fans do. Complain about poor decisions.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How long can we complain about this?  Its been over 6 months and unfortunately the ramifications continue to this day.  I'm not saying we sweep it under the rug, just focus on something else.  Am I the only person still hopeful that this can still work out instead of cripple us for the next 4-5 years?  I try to find the silver lining in all things, right now I'm looking at Williams on a 1 year tender at a ridiculous price and the Giants realize this year we shouldn't give him 4 more years at anywhere near this amount if at all. 

I'd like to think we'll all be eating crow on this deal because Williams plays lights out this year (doubtful). :russian-roulette2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

If you trust PFF (and I'm not sure I do when it comes to the lines honestly ) Hill actually graded out as the better player. He had the lot less sacks compared to the year before but most people forget that three came in one game. 

Williams looked at better via the eye test for sure but I'm not sure it was a night and day difference. 

I'm really down on Hill's 2019. Maybe that was just me though. 

Williams I do not understand..... He is a fantastic player right until the moment that he gets a free release to the QB. Seen that a few times last season where he beats his man cleanly or is unblocked, and instead of going hell bent after the QB he settles into his gap responsibility. He's not exactly wrong, but he's missing the instinct that recognizes the rarest opportunities to break the game.  He's like the anti-LT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...