SportsWrath

3 OL , 4LBs, 3 DBs.

BlueInCanada

So the team is going to have a good draft to build off of IMO

Round1·Pick 4

Andrew Thomas T Georgia - Day 1 starter either LT/RT

Round2·Pick 4

Xavier McKinney S Alabama - Day 1 starter, wherever he's played.

Round3·Pick 35

Matt Peart T Connecticut - Probably starting after a year

Round4·Pick 4

Darnay Holmes CB UCLA - Starting in the rotation/nickel corner

Round5·Pick 4

Shane Lemieux G Oregon - Starting after a year or two

Round6·Pick 4

Cameron Brown LB Penn State - Used in passing down

Round7·Pick 4

Carter Coughlin EDGE Minnesota - Used in passing down

Round7·Pick 24

T.J. Brunson LB South Carolina - Special teams/developmental

Round7·Pick 33

Chris Williamson CB Minnesota - Special teams/nickle corner depth

Round7·Pick 41

Tae Crowder LB Georgia - Special teams/developmental

New York Giants' 2020 NFL draft analysis for every pick

play

Jordan Raanan breaks down whether Andrew Thomas was the right selection for the Giants with the fourth pick in the 2020 NFL draft. (0:53)

6:24 PM ET
  • raanan_jordan.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Jordan RaananESPN Staff Writer

The 2020 NFL draft is in the books, and the New York Giants' draft class is complete.

The draft, which had been scheduled to take place in Las Vegas, was successfully completed virtually from the homes of coaches, general managers and other front-office staff because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Here's a pick-by-pick look at how each player New York has selected will fit.

Analysis of every pick | Updated depth charts

Round 1, No. 4 overall: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

2020 NFL draft coverage

burrow_tua_herbert_5x2.jpg

All 255 picks » | Biggest takeaways »
Bowen's favorites » | Pick analysis »
Experts on Round 1 » | Home setups »
Full class rankings from Scouts Inc. »
More NFL draft coverage »

My take: The Giants needed a tackle and Thomas was their top choice. He will come in and compete at right and left tackle, per coach Joe Judge. It's hard to complain. GM Dave Gettleman wanted "to fix this offensive line once and for all." Thomas started the season as the No. 1 tackle and played well against top competition in the SEC. He blew eight of 793 total blocks last season, a 1% blown block rate that was third best among SEC offensive tackles and 20th in FBS, according to research by ESPN Stats & Information. And he fits with what the Giants want to do offensively under coordinator Jason Garrett.

Passing on Simmons: There seemed to be a split between fans who wanted an offensive tackle and those who wanted Clemson's do-it-all defender Isaiah Simmons. There is no doubt that Simmons is a special athlete, and the Giants liked him a lot. But he doesn't play a premium position and the Giants needed to protect their investments in quarterback Daniel Jones and running back Saquon Barkley. This was a move more about roster construction than an indictment on Simmons. There were coaches on the Giants' staff who were said to be especially high on the Clemson playmaker.

No trade: The Giants might have wanted to move down. It's just not so easy. As Gettleman noted, there weren't a lot of trades at the top of this year's draft. He received a lot of touchy-feely conversations but "no firm offers." Nothing serious. "Really not much there," he said. At least nothing he felt was good enough to present to owner John Mara and Judge. So the streak lives on. Gettleman has never traded back in any draft as a general manager. There is always a tomorrow.

Round 2, No. 36 overall: Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama

play
1:08

Xavier McKinney's NFL draft profile

Xavier McKinney is a versatile defensive back who was a staple of Nick Saban's Alabama defense and is a top prospect in the 2020 NFL draft.

My take: This is a combination of value and need. McKinney was Mel Kiper Jr.'s 15th-ranked player overall. The Giants got him at No. 36 because he fell out of the first round after running the 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds at the combine. But the Giants needed a safety to start alongside Jabrill Peppers. That then frees up Julian Love, who played well late last season, to be utilized as the third safety/nickel.

The Giants had McKinney as a first-round talent and were happy he fell into their laps. He's a physical playmaker joining a defense that desperately needs more playmakers.

"Good pick for them," one executive texted about the selection.

Have to agree with that assessment. Good player and good value. ESPN analyst Louis Riddick raved about McKinney's versatility, and fellow ESPN analyst Rex Ryan called him a future "star" and first-year starter.

Round 3, No. 99 overall: Matt Peart, OT, UConn

play
0:47

Matt Peart's NFL draft profile

Take a look back at some of the highlights of former UConn offensive tackle Matt Peart's career as a Husky.

My take: Keep pounding the offensive line. That is what is happening in this NFL draft with Gettleman and the Giants. Can you blame them? Peart was considered the best value. He was the Giants' second tackle selected in their first three picks. Peart is a developmental offensive tackle with tremendous length. His 36⅝-inch arms were the longest of all linemen at the NFL combine. It's worth a shot with him. Gettleman had to fix this O-line and Peart has talent. The prototypical "upside" prospect. Gettleman used the word multiple times when talking of his third-round pick.

Round 4, No. 110 overall: Darnay Holmes, CB, UCLA

play
0:51

Darnay Holmes' NFL draft profile

Check out highlights from UCLA corner and playmaker Darnay Holmes a prospect for the 2020 NFL draft.

My take: This seems like another high-upside shot. Holmes is a playmaker with some talent. He had eight interceptions in his three seasons at UCLA and his naturally aggressive style should fit well with the Giants playing a lot of man coverage. He also graduated in 2 1/2 years. It's clear the Giants are going to keep throwing young pieces into this secondary, specifically at the cornerback position. The thinking appears to be between Holmes, DeAndre Baker, Corey Ballentine and Sam Beal, one or two them have to hit.

Round 5, No. 150 overall: Shane Lemieux, OG, Oregon

The Giants shored up their offensive line by drafting Oregon's Shane Lemieux in the fifth round. John Bunch/Icon Sportswire

My take: It's a surprise that the Giants didn't address bigger positions of need like edge rusher or center, especially with San Diego State’s Keith Ismael still on the board. But Lemieux is a solid player who is "tough, smart and scrappy," according to one scout. He adds depth to the position, having started 52 games at left guard while at Oregon. It’s possible the Giants are looking at Lemieux as a future option at right guard with Kevin Zeitler already in his 30s.

Round 6, No. 183 overall: Cam Brown, LB, Penn State

Cam Brown is headed to New York after the Giants drafted him in the sixth round. Matthew O'Haren/USA TODAY Sports

My take: Judge talked about finding usable traits in players when he was first hired. It appears we’re at the point of the draft in which that is the Giants' focus. Brown brings length and speed from the linebacker position. Brown had 10 passes defended the past two seasons. With outside linebacker one of the more troubling positions on the roster, it could be worth throwing a player like Brown into the mix there.

Round 7, No. 218 overall: Carter Coughlin, LB, Minnesota

play
0:57

Carter Coughlin's NFL draft profile

Minnesota linebacker Carter Coughlin hopes to be a top prospect in this year's NFL draft, and his college football highlights don't disappoint.

My take: Coughlin had a strong combine workout. But he's not especially long and isn't known for his coverage. He's not a natural outside linebacker. The Giants seem to be trying to strike gold with a pass-rusher at the end of the draft. It’s not ideal, but it can’t hurt if they can find a contributor. Coughlin might be that. He produced in the Big Ten.

Round 7, No. 238 overall: T.J. Brunson, LB, South Carolina

My take: This is an interesting pick. Brunson is a smaller linebacker at 6-0, 230 pounds. He also has some lack of discipline to his game. He had four personal fouls or unsportsmanlike penalties in 2019. It seems like an out-of-character pick for this regime. Maybe they see something different in Brunson (zero sacks in 2019) than everybody else. Perhaps this is Judge’s special teams background coming into play?

Round 7, No. 247 overall: Chris Williamson, CB, Minnesota

My take: The young defensive back room gets even younger, if that is where Williamson will land. He was used as a big nickel at Minnesota, sometimes serving as a linebacker on passing downs. He started just 10 games (nine as a senior) for the Gophers. Again, special teams will be key if Williamson is going to earn a spot on the roster as a rookie.

Round 7, No. 255: Tae Crowder, LB, Georgia

My take: Another linebacker. This time an inside linebacker. Crowder will provide immediate competition to that unit. He finished second on a strong Georgia defense with 62 total stops. Still, he wasn't invited to the combine. Crowder will now forever have the tag of Mr. Irrelevant in the 2020 NFL draft.

3 problems to me:

What's the point in having a lot of depth along the line if one spot now requires someone to move over and adapt. We had chances to address it and didn't. I'm a little tired that we still do this. I've backed Gettleman on past drafts and on Day 1 and 2 this year. But man I'm not big on Day 3 today. We should have gotten a proper center. Watching Hilapio last year should have cemented the need to solidify the position. For the record, Dallas traded up for a center in the 4th. 

Secondly, we drafted 4 linebackers in the last 2 rounds. When was the last time we addressed linebackers this late and we actually got value. It's been a while, probably decades and yet here we are doing it again. We were supposed to be changing the mindset. 

Last, in a draft deep in wideouts, with 10 picks, we couldn't get one big target out there. Hard to understand.

6 minutes ago, boohyah said:

3 problems to me:

What's the point in having a lot of depth along the line if one spot now requires someone to move over and adapt. We had chances to address it and didn't. I'm a little tired that we still do this. I've backed Gettleman on past drafts and on Day 1 and 2 this year. But man I'm not big on Day 3 today. We should have gotten a proper center. Watching Hilapio last year should have cemented the need to solidify the position. For the record, Dallas traded up for a center in the 4th. 

Secondly, we drafted 4 linebackers in the last 2 rounds. When was the last time we addressed linebackers this late and we actually got value. It's been a while, probably decades and yet here we are doing it again. We were supposed to be changing the mindset. 

Last, in a draft deep in wideouts, with 10 picks, we couldn't get one big target out there. Hard to understand.

Lemieux has experience at center.

Also coaches evaluate players for all positions, just because he's a guard doesn't mean he cant play center, it's like saying Gates can't play center, or O'hara couldn't because he played guard and center in college.

When were the Giants going to get in LB? Who would you trade out in the first three picks for an impact LB?

Its was a deep draft for WR, but by round three something like 19 of them were gone, by they point it was bottom of the barrel.

We just signed to Ohio state WRs UDFAs.

You weren't going to fix all the positions in one draft, this was JRs mentality, just draft a single player and hope they pan out.

When you draft one LB in the fourth and hope he develop and he doesnt you're an idiot GM for banking on that.

Let me start this off by saying I like picks 1 and 2. I think the Giants made a mistake not taking whatever they could, if it was available (and it might not have been, to be honest), any trade out of 4th. But on the surface, this looks like a cohesive plan, fix the second half of the defense and the offensive line. However, I don’t think you focus on position groups to the detriment of the rest of your team in a draft. 

The team desperately needed a center and they desperately need a wide receiver. They didn’t get either. Maybe one of the UDFA, who knows.

Good draft overall -  although after getting Bradberry in FA, I didnt see the concept of picking a DB with the 4th pick when DE/Center help was available. Anyway - am not gonna question too much. Just hope the top 3 guys can make immediate impact and we still somehow manage to get a good edge rusher.

Lets hope the season is held as planned - that orange fuck has been asking people to inject or consume disinfectants and shit - am not sure how the US is gonna cope with this Einstein at the helm

9 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Lemieux has experience at center.

Also coaches evaluate players for all positions, just because he's a guard doesn't mean he cant play center, it's like saying Gates can't play center, or O'hara couldn't because he played guard and center in college.

When were the Giants going to get in LB? Who would you trade out in the first three picks for an impact LB?

Its was a deep draft for WR, but by round three something like 19 of them were gone, by they point it was bottom of the barrel.

We just signed to Ohio state WRs UDFAs.

You weren't going to fix all the positions in one draft, this was JRs mentality, just draft a single player and hope they pan out.

When you draft one LB in the fourth and hope he develop and he doesnt you're an idiot GM for banking on that.

Again, I'm asking why didn't we pick a center in the 4th and you're telling me that the 5th round guy has center experience. My point is there were guys who were true centers and we missed them and drafted into areas where we are already well stocked. 

As for Linebacker, they could have picked Simmons in the first and addressed it there. There were 2 linebackers picked before Peart who probably is there at 110. 

And no, it's not Reese, but it's draft 3 for Gettleman and I'm saying he had a chance and didn't do it. It wasn't a very inspiring day 3. I hope I am wrong.

6th and 7th round picks have like less than a 3% chance of becoming starters in this league, so after round 5 I lose interest and don't care who we draft.

And the two late 7th rounders were so late that they are basically "priority free agent" picks.

If 2 out of these 5 late round picks even make the roster, that will be an accomplishment. 

3 minutes ago, mastershake said:

6th and 7th round picks have like less than a 3% chance of becoming starters in this league, so after round 5 I lose interest and don't care who we draft.

And the two late 7th rounders were so late that they are basically "priority free agent" picks.

If 2 out of these 5 late round picks even make the roster, that will be an accomplishment. 

Even fifth rounders have basically a special teams ceiling, if we're being realistic.

But I blame ESPN for some of our unrealistic expectations. They talk about sixth round picks like they're going to bump starters off the roster. 

14 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

What does 'true center' even mean? That is where the least athletic and/or smallest ol plays.... Why wouldn't we prefer someone that could also hack it at G? 

I get you guys want to support Gettleman's decision, but questioning what I mean here is a bit of a stretch. Since there were guys on the board yesterday with "c" listed as their position in college.

Tyler Biedasz for example is 6 foot 3 and 315 pounds.

Cesar Ruiz, 6 ft 4, 320. (first round pick)

Cushenberry, 6 ft 4,  315.

Yeah, they may be slightly smaller than the guys around then, but least athletic and small. C'mon guy.

'true center' is the Giants fandom phrase of the weekend. I'm just not sure what that even means.

I think I'm most cases it's a meaningless distinction, college OLs change position in the pros as a matter of routine. 

FWIW, if you show me a guy playing C at 6'4", 320 lbs, and I'll show you a guy who has options. 

Ok guy.Folks on Giants own website were asking about drafting a center and asking if guys had experience, but hey let's call it "fandom".

You have to wonder why these guys just play the position for 3-4 years in college and then it's a meaningless distinction when it's over.

Cowboys again, traded for a guy in the 4th. The Cowboys has a good draft again and have learned a lot since they used to get engrossed with flashy players and turned their attention to addressing the offensive line and then look what happened. They drafted Fredericks at 15 for center and he was small also, and he anchored the line until he got hut. They traded for Biedasz to replace him. 

12 hours ago, boohyah said:

3 problems to me:

Exactly. If anyone thinks we've "addressed the issue" at LB with 6th and 7th round picks they're dreaming. Most of these guys won't even make the roster.

13 minutes ago, Treehugger said:

Exactly. If anyone thinks we've "addressed the issue" at LB with 6th and 7th round picks they're dreaming. Most of these guys won't even make the roster.

I don't think they've adressed any issue until we've seen these guy play.

Typically most drafts yield one or two players that stay on the team beyond two or three years.

But atleast they brought guys in, people act like they could of drafted a multiple starters at every position this draft.

11 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Good draft overall -  although after getting Bradberry in FA, I didnt see the concept of picking a DB with the 4th pick when DE/Center help was available. Anyway - am not gonna question too much. Just hope the top 3 guys can make immediate impact and we still somehow manage to get a good edge rusher.

Lets hope the season is held as planned - that orange fuck has been asking people to inject or consume disinfectants and shit - am not sure how the US is gonna cope with this Einstein at the helm

With a 4th round investment in a CB, we're lucky if the guy competes this season for a nickel back role (an important role that could see 50% of snaps), but not much more. If we get more out of him, that's a big win and great value. Heck even if he sticks as a nickel back for the next three years, that's not bad for a 4th round pick.

It also make sense considering Beal can't stay on the field and has been bad when out there, plus the jury is still out on Baker and Ballentine.

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Even fifth rounders have basically a special teams ceiling, if we're being realistic.

But I blame ESPN for some of our unrealistic expectations. They talk about sixth round picks like they're going to bump starters off the roster. 

I agree. If you get anything out of a 5th - 7th rounder, whether it be rotational/backup and/or special teams player, consider that a win. Look back at drafts from 4-5 years ago and most teams 5-7th rounders are out of the league entirely.

Everyone likes to glorify the Tom Brady's or even Ahmad Bradshaw's/Jessie Armsteads of the late rounds, but those instances are very rare.

Just for the record. I'm happy with 1 through 3 and Lemieux because if these guys pan out, they fill 3 holes in 2-3 years which is huge for us. Thomas right away in an upgrade at right tackle.

The rest to me, is just up in the air. Carter Coughlin might be something according to some experts.

50 minutes ago, Treehugger said:

They're just praying they blindly strike gold. That's their entire plan for fixing the worse Giants pass rush unit in decades.

The thing is after the third round that's all you can hope for us really blind luck that a guy develops into anything more than a special teams/bench player.

I'll need to find the article but they looked at the last 30 years of drafts and once you get into the fourth round and beyond the average player lasts maybe two years on the team and plays an average of three games a year.

They addressed the Oline and secondary in the first four picks.

After that your just hoping to find someone who can maybe be a rotational player and you stuck gold if they become a starter.