SportsWrath

3 OL , 4LBs, 3 DBs.

BlueInCanada

3 hours ago, boohyah said:

Ok guy.Folks on Giants own website were asking about drafting a center and asking if guys had experience, but hey let's call it "fandom".

You have to wonder why these guys just play the position for 3-4 years in college and then it's a meaningless distinction when it's over.

Well that at least explains what 'true center' means for you. Were you citing someone in particular when you said that, or did you just pull the term off another message board? Because if that's coming from someone like Shaun O'Hara, that is something I would like to see. But elsewhere I've seen it used like a bludgeon by folks who I know do not understand OL play at all --- which is where my push back on that phrase is coming from, if that helps. 

Experience is a fair question. But in terms of technique, I'm more worried about a tackle switching from right to left than I am about an interior lineman bouncing between interior positions. 

49 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

Well that at least explains what 'true center' means for you. Were you citing someone in particular when you said that, or did you just pull the term off another message board? Because if that's coming from someone like Shaun O'Hara, that is something I would like to see. But elsewhere I've seen it used like a bludgeon by folks who I know do not understand OL play at all --- which is where my push back on that phrase is coming from, if that helps. 

Experience is a fair question. But in terms of technique, I'm more worried about a tackle switching from right to left than I am about an interior lineman bouncing between interior positions. 

That's my thing it's not like there's some vast difference between center and guard play, most guards are back up centers and most centers are back up guards.

Lots of NFL centers didn't even play the positions fully in college. Pouncey was a guard till his starting year in college, Kelce bounced between both, and even Travis Frederick only played a single year if center in college. 

Id much rather believe the coaches when they say they think Gates or the rookie can play center then what anyone on the internet would try to have me believe.

5 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

I genuinely don't know what the fuck you are talking about. I don't go on other Giants message boards, had a hard enough time getting back on this one. I logged into Giants.com yesterday sometime after the Lemieux pick and schmeek and one of the other hosts were discussing whether he had experience at center or not. And so what if others had discussed the need. You don't like it, fine. But look at the depth chart now and see how we are set in that spot as opposed to others where right now there is no position short of depth. You and BIC should have called the Jets a few weeks back and told them not to shell out $27 million to Shane McGovern, just shove one of the guards over. 

Last season, I didn't think the same. Hilapio lost a season and deserved a chance to earn the spot last year.Problem was, he was terrible. And hindsight showed maybe why, since he had a hard time maintaining a job elsewhere prior to coming here. And so the Giants let him and his low salary into free agency.  There were plenty of good centers in this draft, and we got none. That's not good, and now we have to plug that hole somehow.

I wrote this on April 9th, 2 weeks ago.

110th pick : Tyler Biadasz – OL Wiconsin

Part 3 of the rebuild. Biadasz is a  center and could go straight into the lineup this year. Voted Nations best center last year in college.

I think this was Dave Gettleman's worst draft.  Did some reaching and I won't talk about his failure to address the pass rush because he has been drafting them and they need to start producing before we start replacing them;  It's just too soon.  I think they could have done better than Peart in the third round and the third day picks were just equally disappointing.  I will be surprised if they're on the team in September and this will be the nail in Dave Gettleman's career.  I hope he proves me wrong.

10 hours ago, Treehugger said:

Exactly. If anyone thinks we've "addressed the issue" at LB with 6th and 7th round picks they're dreaming. Most of these guys won't even make the roster.

Don’t we already have guys on the roster from last year’s draft and this year’s FA that, at least on paper, look like solid pieces?

I'm surprised how much flack Getty is getting on this site.

I thought we finally got a draft that addressed major weakness on this team in the Oline and secondary, instead of just drafting a single player and hoping it works out like the JR years.

Normally the media pundits hate Gettys drafts, but are actually going wild over every thing he did this weekend.

Oh well.

Atleast we arent  Packers or Eagles fans lol

23 hours ago, boohyah said:

I genuinely don't know what the fuck you are talking about. I don't go on other Giants message boards, had a hard enough time getting back on this one. I logged into Giants.com yesterday sometime after the Lemieux pick and schmeek and one of the other hosts were discussing whether he had experience at center or not. And so what if others had discussed the need. You don't like it, fine. But look at the depth chart now and see how we are set in that spot as opposed to others where right now there is no position short of depth. You and BIC should have called the Jets a few weeks back and told them not to shell out $27 million to Shane McGovern, just shove one of the guards over. 

Last season, I didn't think the same. Hilapio lost a season and deserved a chance to earn the spot last year.Problem was, he was terrible. And hindsight showed maybe why, since he had a hard time maintaining a job elsewhere prior to coming here. And so the Giants let him and his low salary into free agency.  There were plenty of good centers in this draft, and we got none. That's not good, and now we have to plug that hole somehow.

LOL! all I wanted to know is what a 'true center' is. 

23 hours ago, boohyah said:

I wrote this on April 9th, 2 weeks ago.

110th pick : Tyler Biadasz – OL Wiconsin

Part 3 of the rebuild. Biadasz is a  center and could go straight into the lineup this year. Voted Nations best center last year in college.

well he wasn't there at 110. And you realize what the odds are that the rookie 3rd day OL can come in and start, regardless of college awards? 4th round picks usually don't fill 'holes'. They're depth, they're special teams. 

Edit: I thought the Cowboys traded up ahead of our 110 pick to pick him ... But actually we passed on Biadasz at 110. Must not have been very highly thought of by the team.

hmm.... Seahawks are releasing Justin Britt. He's 28 and coming off reconstructive knee surgery, so it would be a roll the dice, kick the tires kind of situation. But he was a solid player until he was hurt.

He's 6'6" though... very tall for a center.... and probably makes it especially difficult to come back from that knee injury. 

Falcons may be about to move on from Alex Mack too. That guy is old, but a future HOFer. 

Bengals are going to try to move Billy Price, a 1st round pick center just a couple years ago. He got passed by others on the depth chart, certainly worth nothing but a late round pick, but still probably an upgrade on Halapio or Pulley. 

Saints have some uncertainty in their interior OL as well. 

There are actually more retread options at C this offseason than I expected. 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Bengals are going to try to move Billy Price, a 1st round pick center just a couple years ago. He got passed by others on the depth chart, certainly worth nothing but a late round pick, but still probably an upgrade on Halapio or Pulley. 

Saints have some uncertainty in their interior OL as well. 

There are actually more retread options at C this offseason than I expected. 

I think that might have factored into the draft and FA as well.

They know someone who is a capable center is going to get cut.