SportsWrath

So is there actually a debate about Barkley?

BlueInCanada

With Gurley being released and Gordon supposedly getting peanuts for contract offers I've suddenly seen an influx of articles saying "The Giants should move on form Barkley after his rookie contract" or "He might be a perennial HoF player but the Giants might not need him"

Are people really saying the Giants should let Barkley go?

Do they really think RBs are that easy to replace? Do we remember the time we had Jennings and Varene as the main RBs?

I hope they pay him 120 million over 5 years.

People are sheep and sheep are not the smartest animals.  Have to write about something since the Giants did nothing fans and writers thought should have been done.  I don't know about that money though, it is double what any rb in the league is worth these days.

It depends on how he does the next two years...if he endures too much damage and degrades in ability, then yeah, I'd be averse to any long term commitment. But if he's a true generational back with consistent production, then I'd keep him.

Judging by the fact that we haven't really fixed our offensive line this offseason, this year figures to be another tough year for Barkley.

16 minutes ago, MakeMeSomeFoodHo said:

Running back and tight end are the easiest positions to find serviceable talent. They should never be taken in the first round....especially in the top 15.

Yeah, I'm not big on drafting or spending a lot on RBs and TEs.

For the run game, in my view the biggest factor is and always has been the talent at OL.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

Yeah, I'm not big on drafting or spending a lot on RBs and TEs.

For the run game, in my view the biggest factor is and always has been the talent at OL.

Without a doubt the oline makes a huge difference.

Face it...all these 20 year old athletic specimens are built and can run hard and fast. But if they havent got room to run, it wont matter. Sure some have better moves/more elusive and can create space....even then they dont turn it into a huge gain without oline help

He might be a perennial HOF but the Giants don't need him.

???

Last year same guys are talking about the lack of talent on this team. Now wanna get rid of the guy who has it. 

By the way, he's better than Gurley and Gordon. Gurley got knocked out of starting by a guy pick up off waivers.

Given that we didn't address our offensive line in free agency, next year appears to be another wasted season for Barkley.

Unless Solder and Hernandez gets their act together, Gates turn out to be for real, we upgrade at C over Pulley, and/or draft starting caliber OL.

Lots of ifs.

Barkley is a football player...not a running back. I cant think of a skill position you could not plug him into where he would not grade out as a solid B to A other then maybe blocking TE.

He is so much more versatile then the very good running backs that were named. ..he is also very smart ..and a leader.

This guy is special....and the Gman will will alot more games with him...then without him. 

C. Wagon

Dunno what people are talking about. Getty drafted him, front office loves him from top to bottom, he's clearly a generational talent and in a "down" year still had over 1600 scrimmage yards. Imagine how he'd be with NFL caliber coaching and O-line. 

Oh yeah, he's also only 23 and under contract for 2 more years with a fifth year option. 

People just need something to say this time of year. 

On 3/25/2020 at 2:22 PM, Sephiroth said:

Dunno what people are talking about. Getty drafted him, front office loves him from top to bottom, he's clearly a generational talent and in a "down" year still had over 1600 scrimmage yards. Imagine how he'd be with NFL caliber coaching and O-line. 

Oh yeah, he's also only 23 and under contract for 2 more years with a fifth year option. 

People just need something to say this time of year. 

Yep.