SportsWrath

Jerry Reese continues to make an ass out of himself.

JMFP

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/2/29/11132268/gm-jerry-reese-ny-giants-mocked-by-national-media

Now, in his Monday Morning Quarterback column, Peter King has shredded Reese's "we could have been 10-6" diatribe. Here is what King wrote:

I think I've had enough of the if-we-could-just-close-out-games-we'd-have-been-a-playoff-team palaver from Giants GM Jerry Reese. At the combine he said, "If we close out a couple of games, you know, we can be 10-6. We lost a lot of games close. We had the lead late in the fourth quarter in a few games ... A few plays here or there and we could be 10-6 instead of 6-10." Two points. The Giants closed the season 2-7, allowing 30.7 points per game in those nine games. That's not a good team. That's not close to being a good team. And the game is 60 minutes long. It's cute and interesting (the first 74 times) to hear the Giants would have been the '85 Bears if the games were only 57 minutes long, or whatever, in 2015. They don't give shiny trophies for 57 minutes of football. A long time ago, I covered the Giants, and I asked Bill Parcells, then the coach, some question having to do with progress his team was making, and he asked me to see the Giants media guide. I handed him one, and he turned to the year-by-year won-lost records. "Look," he said, pointing to some past season. "L, W, W, W, L, L, L ... Do you see anywhere in there what actually happened in the game? No. It doesn't matter. All that matters is the W or the L. Nobody years from now is going to look at our record and say, ‘Well, the quarterback was hurt for this game, or you missed whoever for another game.' Did you win or lose? That's it."

Not sure I see what was so wrong with what Reese said that warranted that sort of response. I'm not standing up for the guy just seems pretty harmless

Basically him STILL throwing Coughlin under the bus and not taking any blame for the current state of the team.

Not sure I see what was so wrong with what Reese said that warranted that sort of response. I'm not standing up for the guy just seems pretty harmless

I just think most people are annoyed with his "We were a playoff team if we could finish games" bit every time he's asked about the season.

Every off season he seems to come up with an excuse as to why the Giants have been a mediocre and declining team the past five seasons. The coaching, the players, the injuries, the schedule, whatever else he can come up with, he's pretty good at deflecting any blame away from him.

Would be nice to see an article from Little Bitch Mara one day saying "Shut the fuck up JR and do your job"

But he's not his father.

With respect to what he said, he's right.. we did lose games because of coaching decisions that were questionable... case in point: Going for it o 4th down against the Jets instead of kicking a very short FG....

With respect to what he said, he's right.. we did lose games because of coaching decisions that were questionable... case in point: Going for it o 4th down against the Jets instead of kicking a very short FG....

To which the Jets responded with back to back TD drives that would've just beaten us in regulation rather than on a missed fg in overtime. That happened against the "playoff defense" that Jerry Reese put together. Stop making excuses for him.

To which the Jets responded with back to back TD drives that would've just beaten us in regulation rather than on a missed fg in overtime. That happened against the "playoff defense" that Jerry Reese put together. Stop making excuses for him.

I would not have gotten to overtime.... Not making excuses as much as we all saw a rash of questionable decisions indicative of diminished judgement...

I would not have gotten to overtime.... Not making excuses as much as we all saw a rash of questionable decisions indicative of diminished judgement...

It wouldn't have gotten to ot. It would've ended the game in regulation with a loss.

And yea... the first Dallas game... I'll give you that... to a point, because a competent Defense still could've stopped the Cowboys from driving the length of the field for a gw TD. Jets, Patriots, Saints games among others came down to the fact that the talent just wasn't there and hasn't been there in years. Reese gets no passes, excuses, nor "benefits of the doubt".

Repeatedly collapsing in the last 3 minutes is not a roster issue, it's a coaching issue.

So you believe we were a playoff team? You believe that the 2015 Giants were contenders for a Super Bowl? You believe that another coach could've taken the trash that we had to trot onto the field into the playoffs and made us a threat to anyone? Or are you just playing Devil's Advocate for Reese again?

Repeatedly collapsing in the last 3 minutes is not a roster issue, it's a coaching issue.

The Gints gave up 60+ yard winning drives in the final two minutes of the game multiple times last season.

A starting LB/DE/Safety who could of made a single play on a sack/pick/deflection/tackle that wasnt made probably stops that from happening.

Or a starting WR/Oline/RB who picks up a first down/catches a pass/breaks a tackle probably doesnt give the other team a chance to win.

The team doesnt have playmakers (besides OBJ) on it, it doesnt even have a starting quality players at most positions.

So you believe we were a playoff team? You believe that the 2015 Giants were contenders for a Super Bowl? You believe that another coach could've taken the trash that we had to trot onto the field into the playoffs and made us a threat to anyone? Or are you just playing Devil's Advocate for Reese again?

I believe that, given the shit show that was the NFC East, the blame for not making the playoffs was entirely placed on the head of the person responsible.

I believe that, given the shit show that was the NFC East, the blame for not making the playoffs was entirely placed on the head of the person responsible.

By who? Mara and Tisch who basically put that same GM on notice? Cause if that's the case that's not much of an endorsement. There's blame to go both ways, but the majority of the blame belongs to Reese and he skated through it and continues to deflect responsibility to everyone other than himself.

By who? Mara and Tisch who basically put that same GM on notice? Cause if that's the case that's not much of an endorsement. There's blame to go both ways, but the majority of the blame belongs to Reese and he skated through it and continues to deflect responsibility to everyone other than himself.

What in-game adjustments should Reese have made to prevent those 5 or so last-3-minute losses?

What in-game adjustments should Reese have made to prevent those 5 or so last-3-minute losses?

None. His job is to provide the coaching staff with NFL Caliber players which he did not do on a consistent basis.

This has been pointed out multiple times, but if JPP and Prince aren't re-signed (assuming the 2012 class is allowed to walk too) we will have 1 player (Zak DeOssie) on the roster from drafts prior to 2013. When was the last time we brought in an impact lb? In fact... no reason to keep repeating things.

http://www.sportswrath.com/index.php?showtopic=54090&page=1

I saw this on BBI too, have the response as well.

They're both right, Jerry Reese and Bill Parcells.

Right up until the beginning of next season we will be thinking on how close we were in those games and how different the season would have turned out. We won't care about how close we were once the next season begins and we have an opportunity to do better. Five years from now we'll just see 2015 6-10 third place in the division and few of us will remember how close it was to being a 10-6 season or better.

None. His job is to provide the coaching staff with NFL Caliber players which he did not do on a consistent basis.

This has been pointed out multiple times, but if JPP and Prince aren't re-signed (assuming the 2012 class is allowed to walk too) we will have 1 player (Zak DeOssie) on the roster from drafts prior to 2013. When was the last time we brought in an impact lb? In fact... no reason to keep repeating things.

http://www.sportswrath.com/index.php?showtopic=54090&page=1

There really isn't any point, as you're somehow convinced the coaching staff play no role in W's and L's.

It wouldn't have gotten to ot. It would've ended the game in regulation with a loss.

And yea... the first Dallas game... I'll give you that... to a point, because a competent Defense still could've stopped the Cowboys from driving the length of the field for a gw TD. Jets, Patriots, Saints games among others came down to the fact that the talent just wasn't there and hasn't been there in years. Reese gets no passes, excuses, nor "benefits of the doubt".

Bro the Jets game stood out to me like a sore thumb... I was watching it in a bar with friends and I told them right there and then we were going to be stopped on that 4th down and will lose the game... The Jets would have needed to drive the entire field TWICE and that's with us not adding any more points to the board...

I'm honestly at a loss as to how anyone can think there wasn't enough talent on the field to win at least 4-5 more games when we were winning those very same games up until the last few minutes.

Depends on how you look at it Tree. I would argue it was fantastic coaching that even got us that close to winning those games in the 1st place considering the complete lack of talent across most of the roster.

I'm honestly at a loss as to how anyone can think there wasn't enough talent on the field to win at least 4-5 more games when we were winning those very same games up until the last few minutes.

Explosive offense, opportunistic defense. Not sustainable