SportsWrath

Wacky For Macky

BlueInCanada

Ben McAdoo Gives New York Giants Continuity—for Better or Worse By Gary Davenport, Featured Columnist Jan 13, 2016
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
hi-res-8550c811d069f85141267882916de5ac_
Bill Kostroun/Associated Press
Reads
Comments

As soon as it became available, the head coaching job for theNew York Giants was considered the crown jewel of this year's class of vacancies.

A storied franchise in America's largest media market with a Pro Bowl quarterback and arguably the game's best wide receiver.

A team that not too long ago lifted the Lombardi Trophy as NFLchampion.

On Wednesday, the Giants settled on their next head coach, elevating Ben McAdoo from offensive coordinator to the big chair. While retaining McAdoo affords the team continuityat least offensivelythe team may eventually realize that "settling" is exactly what it did.

As ESPN's Adam Schefter reported, the Giants and McAdoo were finalizing a deal to make him the 18th head coach in franchise history on Wednesday evening:

It isn't exactly a surprising move. The 38-year-old, who was considered the leading in-house candidate to succeed Tom Coughlin with Big Blue, has drawn praise for his work with the New York offense over the past two years.

In 2015, the G-Men ranked inside the league's top 10 in both total offense (eighth with 372.0 yards per game) and points scored (sixth with 26.2 points per game).

McAdoo also worked well with quarterback Eli Manning. The 12th-year veteran has thrown 65 touchdown passes against only 28 interceptions in the past two seasons under McAdoo. Manning's 35 touchdown passes and 93.6 passer rating in 2015 were both career bests.

Jordan Ranaan of NJ.com speculated that McAdoo's promotion will not be met with an appearance of the world-renowned Manning face:

In fact, after Coughlin departed, Manning told WFAN (via James Kratch of NJ.com) that McAdoo was a viable candidate to replace him:

I think there are some similarities between him and coach Coughlin, and their passion for football. He loves it. He loves thinking of concepts and plays, and what's going to work, and talking about it, and going over scenarios and situations. I think he's been a coordinator now two years. I think that's a possibility.

It appears the continuity won't end there, either.

Per ESPN.com, it's believed that defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will at least have the opportunity to keep his job in the new regime.

Former Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin, who worked with McAdoo in Green Bay, is reportedly among the leading candidates to become the team's new offensive coordinator.

The Giants may feel that they aren't that far off from a return to the postseason. That maintaining continuity on offense was an important key to that return. That it made no sense to fix things that weren't broken.

Or the Giants may have gotten a case of the yips, panicked and shot themselves in the foot.

You see, as Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer tweeted, the Giants weren't the only NFC East team sniffing around McAdoo:

The Giants had already watched Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase take the head coaching job with the Dolphins. They had watched Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson pass on so much as interviewing with the team to accept the head coaching job in Cleveland, per ESPN.com.

Cleveland!

Grade the hiring of Ben McAdoo as head coach by the New York Giants
ABCDFSUBMIT VOTE vote to see results

It's entirely possible that the Giants felt backed into a corner. That if they didn't act the Eagles would, and rather than an up-and-coming young assistant like McAdoo, the team would have been left with retreads like Mike Smith or Doug "I quit" Marrone.

So the Giants rolled the dice. And make no mistake: This is a gamble.

Yes, McAdoo is a bright young offensive mind. He also has all of two years of experience as a coordinator, and none as a head coach.

Mind you, it wasn't that long ago, after the Giants offense sputtered early in the 2014 season, that many questioned the wisdom of making McAdoo a coordinator at allmuch less a head coach.

And it was even more recently that some were calling for McAdoo's head on a stick when the Giants' 2015 season began with multiple exercises in how to lose games late.

That writer wasn't alone.

Not by any stretch of the imagination.

That isn't to say I'm panning the hire. Given how well Manning has played these past two years and the fact that he's much closer to the end of the line than the beginning, there's something to be said for keeping him comfortable. For making one last run with the quarterback who has won two Super Bowls in New York.

As noted by NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, there were worse possibilities floating around:

Sure. Because it's not like he quit on a team in New York or anything, right?

But it's also fair to wonder why, if McAdoo was the guy the Giants wanted all along, the team didn't make this move a week ago. To wonder if instead of hiring the head coach they wanted to, the Giants hired the coach they felt like they had to.

And whether, given the fact that the Giants haven't made the playoffs since winning Super Bowl XLVI, continuity is really such a good thing for the team after all.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2607677-ben-mcadoo-gives-new-york-giants-continuity-for-better-or-worse

Exactly what I said if he was the guy all along why not just pull the trigger a week ago. They let him interview for the Eagles who could of hired him on the spot

Unlike Cowher, McAdoo bleeds blue.

He was just getting intel on the enemy.

Who wouldnt trust this face?

64014152_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Yeah I keep hearing that eagle theory and if true it just makes ownership look bad. Either he's your guy or he isn't. Were they trying to force him onto whoever they hired as coach? If not then who cares if he coaches the Eagles as long as you got your guy

Cowher has a beard, not a mustache, because he realizes it's not 1985.

Can the same be said for McAdoo? I think not. He shaved the beard, leaving only a gnarly dirt squirrel above his lip. Clearly going backwards.

COWHER 2018!

+1

No offense meant to McAdoo.

But this is the best we can do?

I'm disappointed in you, Joe... You'd think we can at least trust ownership did their due diligence... who do you and I and everyone here know about the inner-workings of any of this and what goes on behind closed doors? Why is MacAdoo not getting the love and respect he should be getting? Age discrimination of some sort? I'm totally on board with this "unsexy" hiring... I love it actually.

He's the new coach and fans need to at least give him a chance. If anything, it's the talent on the field they need to get fixed. if anything this will put more pressure on the Giants and Reese to be better.

+1 (well.. I'm using my full SW status here.. +10 bitches lol)

We as fans owe Mac nothing. He owes us, and he better produce a winner or he's gonna get run outta town. He has big shoes to fill.

Really? Why? back to back 6-10 seasons for which at least 4 of the games should have been won in 2015? Look I like TC... but I'm not blind to his pitfalls...

I'm disappointed in you, Joe... You'd think we can at least trust ownership did their due diligence... who do you and I and everyone here know about the inner-workings of any of this and what goes on behind closed doors? Why is MacAdoo not getting the love and respect he should be getting? Age discrimination of some sort? I'm totally on board with this "unsexy" hiring... I love it actually.

Mara is not a football guy. He won the sperm lottery. He doesn't deserve the "well he knows his shit and fans don't" benefit of the doubt argument that people have about coaches and gms

How soon we forget Nas. The man has 2 trophies as world champs. That isn't easy to come by. And listening to the players who he brought to greatness, its clear the problems of recent wasn't his fault.

Im just praying Reece gives Spags something to work with. If he can do that, I think we might to ok this year.

Cowher has a beard, not a mustache, because he realizes it's not 1985.

Can the same be said for McAdoo? I think not. He shaved the beard, leaving only a gnarly dirt squirrel above his lip. Clearly going backwards.

COWHER 2018!

Cowher just realized he didnt have the balls to coach or rock a mustach anymore.

He's the type of guy who would fit in with GD and doesnt deserve to coach the game of football again, only talk about it.

How soon we forget Nas. The man has 2 trophies as world champs. That isn't easy to come by. And listening to the players who he brought to greatness, its clear the problems of recent wasn't his fault.

Im just praying Reece gives Spags something to work with. If he can do that, I think we might to ok this year.

Mac is gonna make you all forget about TC.

Two SB world trophies? Just wait and see what Mac is gonna bring this franchise.

Especially now since he wont have to worry about managing a game clock or calling a coherent offensive drive with Philibin taking over the OC job. He'll have more time to worry about things like "How do I control that loose cannon OBJ?", "How many RBs will I start on gameday? 6 or 7?", "How many last minute drives can we top from last season?".

The man will answer all of these questions.