SportsWrath

Giants Sign RB Shane Vereen

Mr. P

A source tells the New York Daily News the Giants are "very serious" about trying to sign free agent RB Shane Vereen.

The source added it's at least possible Vereen, who is reportedly seeking $3.5M annually, will sign with the Giants Tuesday. He'd add much-needed diversity to a backfield that currently consists of bruisers Andre Williams and Rashad Jennings. The Patriots could then compensate by going after Roy Helu as their new passing back.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/308162/Giants-are-%27very-serious%27-about-Shane-Vereen?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also interested in Roy Helu and Antone Smith from what I read.

I'd be pretty happy with Vereen.

update:

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo 44s44 seconds ago

RB Shane Vereen to the Giants. Done deal, source says.

The Jerry Reese problem.

We have so many gaping holes everywhere that we need to sign a slew of B- to C+ guys just to try and fill out the roster. Instead of getting one or two impact guys we get a whole bunch of also-rans like Charles Brown and J.D. Walton.

I haven't seen Shane Vereen very much but my guess is he's not much better or different than Jennings. It'd be a plus if he was more durable, however.

With Vereen, you know you're getting a polished backfield blocker and receiver, so he's a guy that will fit in with what McAdoo likes to do. I like him. I don't think this precludes the Giants from going into the draft to pick a RB in the mid to late rounds, either.

vereen would be here to bring a different element than jennings. he's primarily a pass catcher out of the backfield

But Jennings can do that, too. They just don't do it. Every year we are supposedly bringing in a back to catch out of the backfield and they end up getting 20 targets all season.

I know some here don't think this is a good signing... but I really do. Rashad Jennings is entering the upcoming season in his age 30 year, Vereen is 26. Jennings has been dinged here and there, although Vereen has had his own durability issues at times. But what you are getting is a running back stable where both guys are effective, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some packages with both players on the field at the same time in McAdoo's offense. Or perhaps Andre Williams and Vereen.

You should want good players to join the Giants, and a good player just did. I like this a lot, he is going to help this football team. You probably won't see huge statistical numbers, but he's going to make plenty of big plays to help you win. 3rd down conversions, red zone option, all of that.

I know some here don't think this is a good signing... but I really do. Rashad Jennings is entering the upcoming season in his age 30 year, Vereen is 26. Jennings has been dinged here and there, although Vereen has had his own durability issues at times. But what you are getting is a running back stable where both guys are effective, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some packages with both players on the field at the same time in McAdoo's offense. Or perhaps Andre Williams and Vereen.

You should want good players to join the Giants, and a good player just did. I like this a lot, he is going to help this football team. You probably won't see huge statistical numbers, but he's going to make plenty of big plays to help you win. 3rd down conversions, red zone option, all of that.

and with Jennings, any year the giants can decide to make him a post june 1st cut and only have $562,500 of dead money on the cap.

If you watched Giants football over the last four years you would have a grasp on the lack of durability of our RB corps and our inability to run the football. Its a known fact that Coughlin prefers experienced players and Reese like 30 other GMs are interested in bringing in younger players.

Only question now is when does he start? After Jennings or behind Williams.

Vereen brings a different game to the table and its more about depth than doubts concerning Jennings & Williams.

I'm not impressed. Not with Antone Smith and CJ Spiller out there.

And with the deepest RB crop in the draft in probably a dozen years.

I'd like to see what the terms of the deal are. If it was pricey I'll be pissed.