SportsWrath

Giants Sign RB Shane Vereen

Mr. P

The only money information I've seen is this from WalterFootball:

Giants sign RB Shane Vereen (3 years, $12M; $5M guaranteed): A Grade
It makes absolutely no sense that a 26-year-old Shane Vereen is getting less money than a 32-year-old Frank Gore, but that's NFL free agency for you. I think this is a great signing. Vereen is the perfect complement to Andre Williams, as he happens to be a great pass-catching threat and third-down option to go along with Williams' power running.

Vereen will threaten to haul in 50 or more receptions with the Giants in 2015. He'll serve as a nice safety vale for Eli Manning, whose pass protection hasn't improved yet. Vereen will help the blocking issues, as Manning will just be able to dump the ball off to him amid a heavy rush. Vereen will also command attention out of the backfield, which can only help Odell Beckham Jr.

details of the contract will determine how good a signing this is. I think we could've rolled with Williams and Jennings

This maybe true but I think it has to do solidifying the position. The position by its nature ... Players get injured. I think we all remember our running game after Jennings went down last year.

I think this signing, with Jennings back and fourth health and Williams still earning his stripes, bring in the veteran guy who can do it all and help keep legs fresh.

And a very reasonable contract at that as well.

Good move by JR, basically gives MaccaNoodle more options then just having a statue RB stay in to block, cause this guy can make plays out of the backfield.

Cough...cough....linemen...cough.

Didn't realize Vereen was only 26. Thought he was later 20s.

Giants had the best offensive line in football in the years 2007 to 2008 and had the best one in 2010 before everyone started to get hurt. They weren't able to run a successful screen in those years.

Giants had the best offensive line in football in the years 2007 to 2008 and had the best one in 2010 before everyone started to get hurt. They weren't able to run a successful screen in those years.

That's my point...we have a RB who's capable now...it'd be nice to have the linemen to be able to pull it off as well.

I think it's even simpler than that... basically we need RBs who can play.. we can't repeat a situation where a RB goes down and our running game suffers. I see this signing as another Rashad Jennings... which is good.