SportsWrath

Some things I took out of this week's game.

Sephiroth

We won two Superbowls because of Defense. Gilbride just had to keep us in the game.

We wouldn't have even seen the playoffs in 2011 if we had to rely on that defense. Your QB throws for nearly 5,000 yards, has multiple comeback wins and you have a 9-7 record, it isn't your offense that's the problem. If you bring in Chase Blackburn in to save your linebackers, your defense has serious problems. I give them credit for finally showing up at the end of the season and in the playoffs, but this statement is revisionist.

http://www.fbschedules.com/nfl-11/2011-new-york-giants-football-schedule.php

Do those scores look like the defense was carrying the day? They kept the opponent under 20 points 6 times the entire regular season--the offense did their job 5 of those times. For nearly the rest of that season, the defense was getting slaughtered. We were 2-5 when the defense gave up 25 points or more, and 2 of those losses were by 6 points or less, with an additional one by 7pts: the offense was keeping them in those games.

We scored over 20 points in 11 regular season games--8-3. (The one missing win was 20-17 against Miami. And there were a couple of losses where we sucked on both sides of the ball.) Not one win where the offense did not score at least 20 points. Not in the regular season. Not in the playoffs. Not the SB.

Clearly, if the defense did a decent job, the offense came through for them 83% of the time. That isn't so evident in the converse, where more games were flat-out blown by the defense (72% winning percentage). The offense couldn't expect any help when they came out flat in 3 games--the defense at least had a chance if they stunk up the field, which they did 7 times.

If you guys want to discredit Gilbride by saying that the season was all Manning, Nicks, and Cruz--fine. You could make that argument, I guess. But don't credit the defense for the 2011 SB--they simply don't deserve it.

2007, you have a better argument, at least after the first couple of games.

Thank god! I thought I was the only one that remembered that half the dline had microfracture surgery after that season...or that Robbins' hand was broken.

Or that Brandon Jacobs basically drained the tank in that Carolina game, incredible performance that it was. (Now that I think about it, he never was quite the same after that game, was he?)

We were completely spent at the end of that regular season--mentally and physically.

(As an aside, just like I wasn't about to break out with "I told you so" after two losses, I'm not going to eat crow after two wins. But if we keep going and win against Atlanta, I may have to think about pre-heating the oven.)

Fred Robbins... man, what an underrated player he was. I did forget he was hurt, but you're right, he was a big factor in the late fade that season too.

We wouldn't have even seen the playoffs in 2011 if we had to rely on that defense. Your QB throws for nearly 5,000 yards, has multiple comeback wins and you have a 9-7 record, it isn't your offense that's the problem. If you bring in Chase Blackburn in to save your linebackers, your defense has serious problems. I give them credit for finally showing up at the end of the season and in the playoffs, but this statement is revisionist.

Do those scores look like the defense was carrying the day? They kept the opponent under 20 points 6 times the entire regular season--the offense did their job 5 of those times. For nearly the rest of that season, the defense was getting slaughtered. We were 2-5 when the defense gave up 25 points or more, and 2 of those losses were by 6 points or less, with an additional one by 7pts: the offense was keeping them in those games.

We scored over 20 points in 11 regular season games--8-3. (The one missing win was 20-17 against Miami. And there were a couple of losses where we sucked on both sides of the ball.) Not one win where the offense did not score at least 20 points. Not in the regular season. Not in the playoffs. Not the SB.

Clearly, if the defense did a decent job, the offense came through for them 83% of the time. That isn't so evident in the converse, where more games were flat-out blown by the defense (72% winning percentage). The offense couldn't expect any help when they came out flat in 3 games--the defense at least had a chance if they stunk up the field, which they did 7 times.

If you guys want to discredit Gilbride by saying that the season was all Manning, Nicks, and Cruz--fine. You could make that argument, I guess. But don't credit the defense for the 2011 SB--they simply don't deserve it.

Beat me to it.

I just want to say, for all the ugly throws we've seen Eli make over the years, 2011 was the finest performance by a QB I've ever seen. The defense always seems to get casual credit, I guess because JPP came on the scene, but they were actually average at best in 2011. And the offense had a rapidly fading offensive line, running backs who weren't what they once were; they weren't the '99 Rams by any means. That championship was the Eli/Cruz/Nicks show, and many of the throws that Eli made that season, deep down field, while under duress, were remarkable. Eli carried that team and should have won the league MVP, in my opinion.

I was talking about the Superbowl games themselves, I don't disagree with anything you wrote here. I do think the offense gets far too much credit for the title games because of a pair of memorable catches.

these are some great play designs. where does gilbride come up with this stuff?

954 yards after catch combined by those two in 2011. 248 in the playoffs. these two totally carried us with big plays when our offense was stalling out a lot

i wrote the same thing in another thread.

If you take a look at Gilly's offense, it's always "three guys run flys or posts while another guy runs a square out or in." It's really uncreative and it's pretty amazing Eli did as well as he did in that offense... it's a lot of high-risk, low-percentage throws.

these are some great play designs. where does gilbride come up with this stuff?

954 yards after catch combined by those two in 2011. 248 in the playoffs. these two totally carried us with big plays when our offense was stalling out a lot

It's a legit argument. It's giving credit to the defense when the offense (Gilbride or big play--your choice) got them to the show that cheeses me off.

Gilbride is vilified by giants fans, while having one of, if not the best offensive runs in franchise history.

Yet they'd build a Spagnuolo statue tomorrow even though while he was the DC of a great defense, he became one of the worst DC's ever once he left here.

It's tough to hold ANY NFL offense under 20 points in today's NFL. I don't see a magic number of what constitutes a defense carrying the team. I'm much more concerned with turnovers and stops when it counts. Which Fewell's defense has excelled at, for the most part.

Everything bad on offense was Gilbride's fault, everything good on offense was somehow in spite of Gilbride being terrible.

Obviously you are just some Gilbride fanboy who wouldnt say a single bad thing about him and thinks he's the best OC to coach the game.

It can't be any sort of rational opinion of the man, it's obvious you just love him.

Dude.

Everything bad on offense was Gilbride's fault, everything good on offense was somehow in spite of Gilbride being terrible.

yeah you said that earlier. strawman is full of straws. do you have anything to follow up your position other than "he has rings" or "the giants scored a lot of points"?

Obviously you are just some Gilbride fanboy who wouldnt say a single bad thing about him and thinks he's the best OC to coach the game.

It can't be any sort of rational opinion of the man, it's obvious you just love him.

Dude.

Its that mustache. I just can't resist.

Hands down you're my favorite poster in this section. :WS:

Jacobs was not utilized properly by Gilbride, especially against the eagles in that 2008 playoff game.

You don't take a guy like that and run him parallel to scrimmage against an undersized defense.

Should have lined him up in the I and ran at the motherfuckers.

Lucky catch.

A jets fan said :D

haha, the catch itself was phenomenal, but the importance of the catch is a little overblown. it's not in the same league as tyree's

Jacobs was not utilized properly by Gilbride, especially against the eagles in that 2008 playoff game.

You don't take a guy like that and run him parallel to scrimmage against an undersized defense.

If I recall correctly we had more yards rushing then passing that game.

The defense couldn't stop the Eagles offense at all and Eli couldn't complete a pass to save his life.

The only thing Gilly did right that game was call rushing plays.

The Giants ran for 301 yards against Carolina. 138 against Philly. Jacobs for 92 yards--on a knee he tweaked in early December of that year. They averaged around 150 yards a game in 2008.

This is one of the biggest jokes of the whole Gilbride era--that he never stuck with the run. When he had the horses, he ran the horses. When he didn't have a line anymore, and a RB group that resembled bisque dolls, then he passed.

If anything, you could argue that Coughlin and Gilbride shortened Jacob's career by running him as much as they did that December.

It's tough to hold ANY NFL offense under 20 points in today's NFL. I don't see a magic number of what constitutes a defense carrying the team. I'm much more concerned with turnovers and stops when it counts. Which Fewell's defense has excelled at, for the most part.

...and yet we managed to do it twice in 4 games this year. :confused:

Seattle did it 11 times last year.

This year: Detroit 3 times, Cincinnati 3 times, Arizona 3 times...Hell, Dallas has also done it twice this year, and their defense supposedly sucks!

Is it tough to do? Abso-fucking-lutely. Which is why I use it as a "magic number." Good defenses do it, and when they do, they greatly increase the odds of winning, as a good offense should get over 20 points a game.

But once a defense starts giving up over 25 points a game, they make it exponentially harder for the offense to win the game. Putting aside Tom Quinn for a moment. Not only does that mean that they have to score more often, but all the opponent's scoring takes more time off of the clock, meaning that the offense has to do more scoring in less time.

In a nutshell: If the offense scores over 20 points, they're doing their job. If they score over 25, the game should be a win. If the defense allows under 25 points, they're doing their job. If they allow less than 20 that should be a win.

Nah man stop blaspheming against St. Gilbride... you will only increase your time in Purgatory... :o