SportsWrath

Some things I took out of this week's game.

Sephiroth

Gilbrides offense was like Chitty Chitty bang bang.....took forever to get started but looked cool when it worked.

I'm excited to watch the game on Sunday. I have no idea what McAdoo is gonna call next, he's fairly unpredictable when calling plays.

He did however call the same play 3 straight times against the Texans and it worked pretty well. So what the fuck do I know....

That's what's great about McAdoo so far. When something works, he sticks with it.

Gilbride got a little better later on in his career but I don't know how many times we'd see the Giants run for 14, run for 27, then throw three incomplete passes. That Eagles playoff game in 2009 was a prime example of it... why the fuck was Eli throwing the ball 40 times into 40mph winds when our running game was averaging 6.0 per clip?

Loving the Big Daddy Mac offense. Stick with something until they stop it.

That's what's great about McAdoo so far. When something works, he sticks with it.

Gilbride got a little better later on in his career but I don't know how many times we'd see the Giants run for 14, run for 27, then throw three incomplete passes. That Eagles playoff game in 2009 was a prime example of it... why the fuck was Eli throwing the ball 40 times into 40mph winds when our running game was averaging 6.0 per clip?

That Eagles playoff game was awful...on paper we should have routed them.....even without Plax, the Giants had beaten every contender that season, including the teams that went on to play in the Super Bowl. Very disappointing....I recall having 1st and 10 inside their 20 toward the end of the 1st half, and instead of pounding the ball on the ground, they decided to pass.....saving enough clock time and time outs for Philly to get the ball back and kick a field goal to end the half.....just terrible play calling the entire day.

And like you said, the Giants had success against the run v. the Eagles. Reminded me of last year against the Cowboys.......the Cowboys linebackers were decimated.....they had signed guys off the street.....and yet despite ripping off huge gains on virtually every play, Gilbride decided to go with low percentage passes against a decent Dallas secondary. I also recall a game years ago v. Redskins when Eli dropped back to pass around 50 times into a swirling Meadowlands wind.....shockingly, that decision backfired.

I'll thank Gilbride for the role he played in those 2 championships, but I'm convinced there is no way they win those 2 games without Eli hustling down the field in the final minutes, doing all the shit that McAdoo is allowing him to do every time he's on the field, and not just when the game is on the line.

In 2007, the Giants don't even make the Super Bowl without Eli's scramble down the field to end the 1st half against Dallas.

In 2011, how many times did Eli rally the team down the field in the 4th quarter?

In short, I think McAdoo incorporates Eli's strengths into the playbook. Yes, Eli has a nice touch on the deep ball, and Gilbride used that effectively in his schemes. But as the line deteriorated through a combination of age, neglect, injuries, and lousy Reese picks, Gilbride's system was gradually exposed.

Gilbrides offense was like Chitty Chitty bang bang.....took forever to get started but looked cool when it worked.

I'm excited to watch the game on Sunday. I have no idea what McAdoo is gonna call next, he's fairly unpredictable when calling plays.

He did however call the same play 3 straight times against the Texans and it worked pretty well. So what the fuck do I know....

And his red zone offense has been pretty flexible as well. Its good watching a game and not knowing as a fan what is coming next. Cause if we can figure it out for free...just imagine what the opposition can do. :P

This... and please don't remind me of that nightmare year where we had a chance to repeat that was sidetracked by Plax shooting himself...Mayor Formerly For Life Bloomberg making a scapegoat out of him...and Saint Gilbride's stubbornness and inability to adapt to the game unfolding in front of him...

That Eagles playoff game was awful...on paper we should have routed them.....even without Plax, the Giants had beaten every contender that season, including the teams that went on to play in the Super Bowl. Very disappointing....I recall having 1st and 10 inside their 20 toward the end of the 1st half, and instead of pounding the ball on the ground, they decided to pass.....saving enough clock time and time outs for Philly to get the ball back and kick a field goal to end the half.....just terrible play calling the entire day.

And like you said, the Giants had success against the run v. the Eagles. Reminded me of last year against the Cowboys.......the Cowboys linebackers were decimated.....they had signed guys off the street.....and yet despite ripping off huge gains on virtually every play, Gilbride decided to go with low percentage passes against a decent Dallas secondary. I also recall a game years ago v. Redskins when Eli dropped back to pass around 50 times into a swirling Meadowlands wind.....shockingly, that decision backfired.

I'll thank Gilbride for the role he played in those 2 championships, but I'm convinced there is no way they win those 2 games without Eli hustling down the field in the final minutes, doing all the shit that McAdoo is allowing him to do every time he's on the field, and not just when the game is on the line.

In 2007, the Giants don't even make the Super Bowl without Eli's scramble down the field to end the 1st half against Dallas.

In 2011, how many times did Eli rally the team down the field in the 4th quarter?

In short, I think McAdoo incorporates Eli's strengths into the playbook. Yes, Eli has a nice touch on the deep ball, and Gilbride used that effectively in his schemes. But as the line deteriorated through a combination of age, neglect, injuries, and lousy Reese picks, Gilbride's system was gradually exposed.

Every team is right Joe...every team that made the playoffs was beaten by us handily... to have it derailed by Saint Gilbride above all still sticks in my craw... :atomic:

I think 2008 was going down the tubes regardless of Plaxico. Remember what the linebackers looked like by the end of that season? Antonio Pierce lost the last step he had to spare somewhere in the first half of the season, and the defense was getting chewed up by short, quick passes.

Yeah I hear you CD...but I think if we got past the Eagles with a sane offensive game plan we would have gone on the backs of our offense... I know we hired a couple of dudes off the street...but what we needed most was points...

57524fb18d2951178.jpg

Not to burst the board's bubble but McNabb threw 40 times while Eli threw 29 times. Also the Giants had 31 running plays for 138 yards while the Eagles only ran for 59.

Ohh....you say the 4th quarter though. Yeah well it went 10 runs to 8 passes and the passes were only on the Giants last 2 drives. Those were INT and fumble. The Giants had more yards than the Eagles but just couldn't make it to the endzone.

57524fb18d2951178.jpg

Not to burst the board's bubble but McNabb threw 40 times while Eli threw 29 times. Also the Giants had 31 running plays for 138 yards while the Eagles only ran for 59.

Ohh....you say the 4th quarter though. Yeah well it went 10 runs to 8 passes and the passes were only on the Giants last 2 drives. Those were INT and fumble. The Giants had more yards than the Eagles but just couldn't make it to the endzone.

We're not the only ones who thought Gilbride's playcalling sucked that day.

We're not the only ones who thought Gilbride's playcalling sucked that day.

Manning only threw 21 passes until the final 2 drives when the Giants need to desperately score a TD. The Giants could not execute when it mattered and in desperation only were able 1 fourth down conversion in 3 tries. It's always Gilbride's fault but if you read the thread Manning was throwing ducks while McNabb was throwing good balls. The reality fact is that McNabb played much much better than Manning and that's what won the game. Gilbride is always the scape goat for Manning's poor play. Seriously how many more running plays could Gilbride have called? On the first drive of the 4th quarter it was all run. Second 4th quarter drive 4th and 3; run by Jacobs is stuffed. When it mattered most the run failed.

Guys, McAdoo's offense is working for the same reason why we won 2 super bowls under Gilbride. The Offensive line are blocking defenders...

The flip side of the same coin, they're not asked to block for 7 step drops either...

Manning only threw 21 passes until the final 2 drives when the Giants need to desperately score a TD. The Giants could not execute when it mattered and in desperation only were able 1 fourth down conversion in 3 tries. It's always Gilbride's fault but if you read the thread Manning was throwing ducks while McNabb was throwing good balls. The reality fact is that McNabb played much much better than Manning and that's what won the game. Gilbride is always the scape goat for Manning's poor play. Seriously how many more running plays could Gilbride have called? On the first drive of the 4th quarter it was all run. Second 4th quarter drive 4th and 3; run by Jacobs is stuffed. When it mattered most the run failed.

Well, I guess we'll see this year.

I think 2008 was going down the tubes regardless of Plaxico. Remember what the linebackers looked like by the end of that season? Antonio Pierce lost the last step he had to spare somewhere in the first half of the season, and the defense was getting chewed up by short, quick passes.

Thank god! I thought I was the only one that remembered that half the dline had microfracture surgery after that season...or that Robbins' hand was broken.

Or that Brandon Jacobs basically drained the tank in that Carolina game, incredible performance that it was. (Now that I think about it, he never was quite the same after that game, was he?)

We were completely spent at the end of that regular season--mentally and physically.

(As an aside, just like I wasn't about to break out with "I told you so" after two losses, I'm not going to eat crow after two wins. But if we keep going and win against Atlanta, I may have to think about pre-heating the oven.)