SportsWrath

ESPN Analyst says he'd "cut Sam today"

BleedinBlue

ESPN will probably fire this guy for his blatant honesty, which we've seen lately that media pressure will destroy a person if they ever discover that you think (and dare admit) anything that is not politically correct.

Well, anyway, this guy did. He will probably be roasted.

ESPN analyst Jason Whitlock joined Booger and Rich to discuss Michael Sam's docuseries about coming out and being drafted in the NFL.

Whitlock said that he feels like Michael Sam is contradicting himself. Sam said that he wants to be viewed as a football player, but now he's doing a docuseries that's going to take away from football. He also said he's a staunch supporter of Sam coming out but right now he feels duped.

"I think it's very contradictory, and I'm someone who supported Michael Sam and understood the importance of his involvement in professional football; but he has certainly called into question to me everything about him, including what we saw on draft day," he said. "Everything seems orchestrated now. We didn't know that there was a documentary TV show already in the process of being filmed and now we do. Now we judge everything in that light and we have to wonder, was it genuine emotion? Or is this a part of a reality TV show?"

Whitlock pointed out that it seems like Sam is taking advantage of his position and it's evident by him selling his own merchandise online:

"I feel duped. Again, he's got a website up selling t-shirts it's a merchandise store. This all looks like a cash grab more than a guy that wants to be a great football player as he has said. I don't wanna come down too hard on Michael Sam, he comes from a very difficult background with his family and as we saw on draft day he was not surrounded by family as most people are on draft day, he was surrounded by two of his handlers and his boyfriend. You have to wonder if he's not being manipulated and influenced because everyone that I know that knows him as a football player says he's very passionate about football, but here he is now as a 7th-round pick, a guy who is a longshot to make the roster, he's now involving himself with a reality TV show, he's got a website up hawking t-shirts, his agents cut a deal to be producers on this show, his publicist cut a deal to be a producer on this show, again it just doesn't pass the smell test in terms of authenticity. It's disappointing because I think whoever is maneuvering him needs to understand, the most important thing he has to do is make the football team. If he doesn't make the football team all their causes, concerns about the LGBT community, the selling of merchandise, it all goes away."

Whitlock also admitted that if he was a Rams decision-maker, he'd consider cutting Sam immediately.

"I do think there's extra pressure in terms of there's potential risk of a fallout if they let Michael Sam go, and I'm gonna be honest, I would consider letting him go today. He's a marginal player who has a questionable focus on football. I would consider letting him go," he said. "When you come into a team environment, it has to be about the team and so I'm wondering, there are guys in the Rams locker room that to me probably said, 'You know what I'm going to do my best to embrace this guy and embrace the situation,' but I can't imagine they wanna spend their entire training camp and entire season reacting to Michael Sam's personal life and that's what's gonna be showcased on this reality show. I don't think that's gonna play well in the locker room.

"I'm a Michael Sam supporter, I'm a supporter of the gay and lesbian community I think that their freedom and equality is important to the freedom of African Americans, I get all that, but I'm telling you, I'd be very tempted to cut the guy today."

Whitlock said he's sure he'll receive some criticism after his latest column on ESPN.com that disagrees with certain comparisons of Sam to Jackie Robinson, but he's not worried about it. He supports Sam as a gay athlete, but not his decision to do the documentary.

I see a firestorm ahead.

Two things. The series will help the lbgt community.

Who cares if the guy makes a few bucks in it? That's why he is playing pro ball, to make money. As a 7th round draft pick he's not getting a huge deal. LeBron James and everyone else has endorsements and many players have had reality shows. Even the league has the hbo show.

Jason Whitlock isn't going to be turning down offers tp make money and get his name out there tp be more popular, why should Sam?

Who cares if the guy makes a few bucks in it? That's why he is playing pro ball, to make money. As a 7th round draft pick he's not getting a huge deal. LeBron James and everyone else has endorsements and many players have had reality shows. Even the league has the hbo show.

Jason Whitlock isn't going to be turning down offers tp make money and get his name out there tp be more popular, why should Sam?

I think the series has been cancelled if I heard right. Most likely because the Rams front office probably told him to choose the series or choose the team.

I think the guy makes a good point when he talks about team chemistry and focusing on football. It could bring down the whole team if the players have to fret or worry about what they say and how they act once they become a part of a reality TV show right along side of him instead of simply focusing 100% on football.

I think the series has been cancelled if I heard right. Most likely because the Rams front office probably told him to choose the series or choose the team.

I think the guy makes a good point when he talks about team chemistry and focusing on football. It could bring down the whole team if the players have to fret or worry about what they say and how they act once they become a part of a reality TV show right along side of him instead of simply focusing 100% on football.

I think grown men can handle cameras. Same way they can avoid making racist comments on Hard Knocks, even though I'm sure plenty of them are racist; they can avoid making homophobic remarks.

Exactly.

I wonder what he thinks about Dick Sherman, who essentially did the same thing but with being a loudmouthed asshole instead of being gay. Sherman is a hell of a player but his rants sound pretty orchestrated too, and he's got a site that sells merchandise and whatnot.

I don't see this of as big as a deal as I think the writer makes it out to be.

Johnny Football is going to be bringing much more press and turmoil to the Browns when they start losing and the media and fans are calling from him to start and then his head when he fails to deliver.

Bob the Generation of Three had a media circuit going on in the Redskins camp when he was drafted but no one even lifted a finger to say what type of affect it will have on the team.

But a third day back up DE, "OH FUCK LORDY LORDY WATCH OUT HE'S GONNA RUIN THE TEAM"

I do agree with you though, if you have any opinion that goes against what is considered PC for the year you basically ruin your career.

Because Sam said, "I want to be known has a football player" "Football is my focus" etc. The reality show seems to contradict that.

Yeah we've never seen contradiction in sports before. I guess he deserves some criticism from that stand point but Chad Johnson had a show, other guys have had shows or been on shows like DWTS, or have had interests outside of football. Nobody said they should be cut.

Sorry, but anyone who's suggesting he came out publicly just to sell t-shirts is being ridiculous. Every NFL player takes every chance they can to use their profile to make extra income. I don't see how it's any different to other rookies getting endorsement contracts, or tv/radio spots.

Sounds like he is following the advice of his handlers.

Can't blame him for cashing in.

At the same time, if he has a crappy camp and gets cut, they really can't blame the Rams.

Figure I have the writer beat...I would've never drafted him in the first place.

Frankly, I think that's why he dropped to the 7th round.....teams don't want to deal with the distractions, and they don't want to deal with explaining why they cut the gay guy if he doesn't pan out.

Frankly, I think that's why he dropped to the 7th round.....teams don't want to deal with the distractions, and they don't want to deal with explaining why they cut the gay guy if he doesn't pan out.

I believe you're right that teams don't want the circus. I'm not sure that teams are as anti-gay as the fans are.

I believe if Sam wants to be gay, he can make that choice all day long. But don't expect me to accept it as okay, because it's not. In other words, I'm all for free will, but I'm also not going to condone the wrong choice.

I believe you're right that teams don't want the circus. I'm not sure that teams are as anti-gay as the fans are.

I believe if Sam wants to be gay, he can make that choice all day long. But don't expect me to accept it as okay, because it's not. In other words, I'm all for free will, but I'm also not going to condone the wrong choice.

Who's asking you to condone it? I think gays and the rest of society are just wishing people like you would stfu about it.

Who's asking you to condone it? I think gays and the rest of society are just wishing people like you would stfu about it.

I get upset when I see it on TV. I then get criticized for being upset. Essentially, there is an expectation for heteros to be okay with gays. Being accepting of the behavior is the same as condoning it.

When they stfu about it, perhaps I will too.

what "choice' is that?