SportsWrath

Giants to utilize no-huddle, up-tempo more next season.

JMFP

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/05/will_giants_utilize_no-huddle_up-tempo_offense_more_this_year.html

Ben McAdoo's offense has been getting rave reviews from players so far thanks in part to its simplicity and the way it will feature certain talent.

According to a few who have gone through the early meetings, it's been a firehose approach; there's been a ton of information thrown at everyone in the room in hopes of moving along quicker than ever.

Offensive players have been interviewed and re-interviewed. They've been evaluated using GPS tracking systems that gauge different types of speed on the field.

And, within the first couple days, they were already installing some no-huddle looks, according to multiple people inside the room.

Once a point of contention for some around the Giants, who felt as though the team was missing an opportunity by not attacking more on offense and using the breakneck approach, the no huddle, or at least an emphasis on a more up-tempo style, could be making a comeback under McAdoo.

With an experienced and cerebral quarterback, it seems like a no brainer.

Kevin Gilbride thought about it in a different way, of course, and won two Super Bowls doing it. His approach was to call a play and allow Manning all the time he needed to adjust the routes and protections at the line. Gilbride always saw limiting time for Manning at the line as a weakness.

"You negate the smart quarterback (by going no-huddle)," Gilbride said. "You’re not allowing him to change the play. Three quarters of the training that we do with Manning is to keep educating him on what we want, maybe this is a better play, this is the look we want."

The Giants were 27th in plays from scrimmage in 2013, 14th in 2012 and 8th in 2011 before the use of a rapid no huddle became more widespread.

Trying to reset that number now might be difficult. Each of the past three seasons the Packers finished 11th, 14th and 3rd in total snaps, respectively. Teams coached by Andy Reid, another coach who McAdoo looks up to, finished 16th, 6th and 7th in the past three years. The Seahawks, on the other hand, finished 29th with just 973 plays from scrimmage in 2013. Jerry Reese has mentioned their style and build a few times this offseason.

But the sense is that there may be a little more urgency in McAdoo's offense, especially after the way the Giants floundered last year. If Manning is smart enough to make all of his adjustments at the line, he can be smart enough to do it 30 seconds faster and with half the words.

Having a center that is engrained with the protections and that will voice more of the offensive line calls should help, and could be part of the plan.

Interesting. But who says the no huddle precludes changing the play at the line? Seems to me, that's all Peyton Manning does! The main advantage you gain through the no huddle is not allowing the defense to use their sub packages, based on down & distance. Once you're lined up and ready to snap the ball, they can't be shuttling players in and out but you can take the rest of the play clock to call audibles. But I do like the idea of simpler, though....at least to start.

Interesting. But who says the no huddle precludes changing the play at the line? Seems to me, that's all Peyton Manning does! The main advantage you gain through the no huddle is not allowing the defense to use their sub packages, based on down & distance. Once you're lined up and ready to snap the ball, they can't be shuttling players in and out but you can take the rest of the play clock to call audibles. But I do like the idea of simpler, though....at least to start.

I agree. If anything, that was Gilbride's beef against it.

With no disrespect to Gilbride, in both Super Bowls, Eli scored the winning TD in the final minutes, on his last possession, using an up-tempo attack.

I've been crying for the "no-huddle" to be thrown into the playbood for a couple of years now. It puts the defense on their heels rather than give them the opportunity to get set, adjust as they recognize the offensive formation, etc.

It's not something you do all the time, but to throw it in there as an option is fantastic. To me anyway.

It's going to be an interesting season to watch what McAdoo brings to the table. Can't wait.

So wait... it turns out when your QB excels at the no-huddle, it means we should RUN IT?

Somebody get Kevin Gilbride on the phone... this has to be a misprint. Next they'll be telling us is that 3-step drops work when your O-line is in shambles.

I've been crying for the "no-huddle" to be thrown into the playbood for a couple of years now. It puts the defense on their heels rather than give them the opportunity to get set, adjust as they recognize the offensive formation, etc.

It's not something you do all the time, but to throw it in there as an option is fantastic. To me anyway.

It's going to be an interesting season to watch what McAdoo brings to the table. Can't wait.

Exactly.

Last season, there was no fear from the defense that they might be caught in a personnel mismatch. You had guys subbing in on defense every series, sitting there waiting to jump the snap as the clock ticked down to zero, without fear of a hard count, either.

Not to mention, you've got guys like Cruz, and now Beckham, who can take a quick pass and turn it into a long gain.....these are the types of players you want in a fast-tempo attack.

A fast tempo attack also helps the offensive line.

Lets see how it turns out. Too many times the Giants have lost the momentum of a drive because of how we have used the clock.

Agreed. They're not going to say "we're playing a low-key style, and slowing things down."

Play the game.

Lets see how it turns out. Too many times the Giants have lost the momentum of a drive because of how we have used the clock.

And too many times I've seen them play as though they were trying not to lose rather than trying to win.