SportsWrath

Anxious: Tired of the Late Draft this Year

mastershake

Anyone else annoyed that the NFL pushed the draft back by three weeks this year, to produce "hype" for it? It's actually led me to stop following the draft as closely, as I'm simply tired of waiting at this point. I don't have any figures, but I doubt it's producing any hype, and may even be hurting. Pro days are over, free agency is over, interviews are over etc... draft rooms are just sitting on their hands now and so are fans.

I think everyone is sick of it. I know I am.

However, I also realize it's a lot like sex... that is, as soon as it's over...there is a huge let down...sorta like "post-coital disgust" when you've settled for the ugly fat chick that no one else wanted.

But...if you believe in delayed gratification, the NFL certainly has built anticipation up to a premium.

I've grown to accept the 3-day draft now that I have kids. I can't neglect them for a whole weekend like when it used to be all day Saturday and all day Sunday. So that doesn't bother me as much.

Stretching it to 4 days, expanding the number of playoff teams, some of the defenseless rule changes over the past few years...neither are good ideas from a fan perspective, but they will continue to make money so both will likely happen in spite of what the fans think.

I will say though, that I read the NFL moved the draft due to a scheduling conflict at RCMH...not simply to create hype, so I'm hoping it gets moved back next year.

it's bullshit, and having it during the week during primetime is bullshit too. they really fucked up a great annual football weekend by doing this

Agreed! I used to love to get up early on Saturday, fire up the smoker with a pork butt. Have a cooler full of beers ready start watching all the pre-draft stuff, couple buddies come over and make a day out of it.. Now I will be working all day, going to the gym and flipping channels until the Giants pick then go to bed.

I don't mind the prime time so much as I fucking hated them moving it back a few weeks. Prime time at least I get to watch... granted.. having it on the weekend was fine too..but to fucking wait till May is just stupid.

I don't mind the prime time so much as I fucking hated them moving it back a few weeks. Prime time at least I get to watch... granted.. having it on the weekend was fine too..but to fucking wait till May is just stupid.

Agreed, same here.

Apparently, GMs and coaches are not happy with this either. It's 2-3 less weeks to prepare rookies to play in the NFL. That may not seem like much, but consider they have only 10-12 weeks to prepare for camp, and now the NFL is biting into that, which makes up 20-25% of their preparation time.

Apparently, GMs and coaches are not happy with this either. It's 2-3 less weeks to prepare rookies to play in the NFL. That may not seem like much, but consider they have only 10-12 weeks to prepare for camp, and now the NFL is biting into that, which makes up 20-25% of their preparation time.

Not only that, but it often takes several weeks (sometimes more) to get all your drafted players signed...especially the high draft picks. By cutting into the off time, it gives teams 3 less weeks to practice and prepare for the season. That's bullshit.

Not only that, but it often takes several weeks (sometimes more) to get all your drafted players signed...especially the high draft picks. By cutting into the off time, it gives teams 3 less weeks to practice and prepare for the season. That's bullshit.

That's less of an issue with the new way rookie contracts are handled... but it's still maddening nonetheless... I wonder what the rationale is/was for having the draft in May.

There are reports every year about players being more prepared than ever coming out of college...running pro-style systems at the college level...

Further, with the opportunity of a lifetime sitting there, there's no reason not to be in shape ready to go. Learning a playbook...eh, they can do that in 12 weeks. The other stuff, they can be ready.

Rookie wage scale solved that.

Hey, at least we already know who they will draft from all the talk.

You know who the fans want to draft. The only first round pick that was obvious in recent memory was Eli because Ernie had a man crush that couldn't be hidden.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014-nfl-draft-mock-order-prospects-picks-new-york-giants/2014/4/29/5662230/2014-nfl-draft-rumors-new-york-giants-rumors-visits-prospects

That is a link of players the Giants have been in contact with, and we will not draft any of them. That helps more.

You know who the fans want to draft. The only first round pick that was obvious in recent memory was Eli because Ernie had a man crush that couldn't be hidden.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014-nfl-draft-mock-order-prospects-picks-new-york-giants/2014/4/29/5662230/2014-nfl-draft-rumors-new-york-giants-rumors-visits-prospects

That is a link of players the Giants have been in contact with, and we will not draft any of them. That helps more.

I almost hope they suprise us, but doubt it myself.

Actually, of the 30-40 players we brought in last year, we drafted on (Eric Herman or Michael Cox, can't remember which).

But you are right, they rarely bring in players they have their eyes on...at least in the first few rounds. They might take one after the 5th round, but I can't remember a time they brought in a top 100 guy that they drafted. And if that's the case this year, we won't be drafting Taylor Lewan because we worked him out.

Actually, of the 30-40 players we brought in last year, we drafted on (Eric Herman or Michael Cox, can't remember which).

But you are right, they rarely bring in players they have their eyes on...at least in the first few rounds. They might take one after the 5th round, but I can't remember a time they brought in a top 100 guy that they drafted. And if that's the case this year, we won't be drafting Taylor Lewan because we worked him out.

I think the players they bring in are on the bubble for them. They just want a closer look with the benefit of confusing everyone.

I wonder how much of the interview selections are an attempt by the giants (or any team) to deliberately cause misdirection to other teams. There's probably some of this to a certain degree, while perhaps the interview focus is on the middle round players?

Also, wasn't Cooper Taylor interviewed last year?

And if that's the case this year, we won't be drafting Taylor Lewan because we worked him out.

I think the players they bring in are on the bubble for them. They just want a closer look with the benefit of confusing everyone.

Maybe Lewan was on the bubble due to his off the field stuff and not so much his ability...could still be a possibility.

Maybe Lewan was on the bubble due to his off the field stuff and not so much his ability...could still be a possibility.

I believe there are 4 difference makers at OT and they will all be gone by the 14-16th pick, probably earlier (IMHO). A lot of teams are high on Martin and if he's gone at 12, but Lewan is still there - I imagine we'll grab him. I can only think of two scenarios in which we don't go with OT, and that is if the front office and TC are higher on Evans and Donald than we are led to believe...and assuming one of them is still there.

I have to believe the Giants are looking at the trenches first and the skill players later and I gotta believe that protecting Eli trumps everything else - hence an OT in the first: Martin or Lewan. But I also know that I'm surprised every year because I think I have it figured out not to mention, you never know who is going to fall in their laps at 12. Heck, Jake Mathews might have been passed up and be sitting there. We just never know. It wasn't long ago that Prince Amakumura was going to be off the board by the 5th pick and he fell right into our laps.