SportsWrath

Eric Ebron's pro day.

Bigblue25

I would think that Ebron lost some stock in his draft position. A TE that doesn't block, and drops a significant number of passes without a defense on him does not sound ideal.

Three's a significant number? Pro Days are way over exaggerated. All pro days do is help a prospect, they won't hurt a prospect who has good tape.

I would think that Ebron lost some stock in his draft position. A TE that doesn't block, and drops a significant number of passes without a defense on him does not sound ideal.

From what I read he only dropped a few passes but is still the best TE in the draft and a top 10 pick.

I still don't think we should take him but he'll go to some team that uses TEs in the passing game and light up the league for a number of years.

Although I'm not opposed to drafting Lewan I don't think the OT position is as dire of a need as you suggest. It's already been said that Beatty will be ready by camp. He had a very good season only a year ago we just have to hope he regains that form. With a better LG playing beside him and a new offense less dependent on 5-7 step drops we have reason to be opptomistic. With that said, however, we need a back up swing tackle capable of starting on either side. Lucky for us OT is very talented in the top three rounds.

Since it's rare for rookies to start I think we have to plan for the departure of Chris Snee. For that I think the Giants grab Lewan in the first and either a DE or Yankey in the 2nd. I see them going after the best available TE/WR in the 3rd then it's a crapshoot thereafter.

If Lewan OR Martin are available, I'd be stoked with either. Given we lost Joseph AND Tuck, I'd be happy with the top rated DT too. Shit, even Justin Gilbert, the top rated CB, I'd be cool with but don't see that happening given DRC and Thurmond.

But, this team does need a TE and I don't want to be stuck with some shit stain that can't play.

I agree, we need a TE....but they don't need to grab one in the 1st round. They should be able to get a decent tight end in the 4th.

And whatever happened to "The JPP of Tight Ends"?.....when the fuck is that dude going to contribute?

We need an offensive lineman in the 1st round.....the best available, doesn't matter what position he plays, because as far as I'm concerned left tackle is nowhere near settled with Broken Leg Beatme.

I'm with Pdub, a case can be made for nearly every position. It would be hard to be disappointed with just about any pick. As much a I would like another first round offensive lineman to solidify the line, I would really like a true number one WR like Evans or an athletic, receiving TE that can dominate.

I don't understand why CJ Fiedorowicz isn't higher on draft boards. To me, he's a phenomenal talent. I think he's better than previous 1st and 2nd round TE's in recent drafts like Eifert, Fleener, or Rudolph. I've watched some tape of his, he's 6-6, 265, and he can has big, strong hands that swallow up the ball. His hands are top shelf, really good. This guy's game is tailor-made for the NFL. I can see him going in the 2nd round, despite projections that he's a 3rd or 4th rounder. If we got him in the 3rd we'd be stealing him, and I think he's going to be the best TE in this draft. He ran a 4.76 at the combine, plenty fast enough for him. Plus, he was the top guy at his position in the 3-cone with a 7.10, showing great short area quickness. CJ's problem is that he played in a heavy run first offense at Iowa, where he was limited in opportunities. But watch him blossom in the NFL. He's a 2-way TE, a complete TE, and as good an athlete as Ebron is, he's not a 2-way TE.

The problem I have with Ebron at 12 is that he doesn't have the ceiling of Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis, and isn't the freakish athlete that those two players are. He is a talented athlete, he has some speed, but if you watch the tape, he doesn't run routes as well as Fiedo, and doesn't use his body as well in terms of physicality with the defenders, either. The more I watch of Ebron, I think he is a back end 1st rounder and does not have near enough upside or present near enough value to be taken at 12.

I'll have to check out Fiedorowicz.

The more I learn about Troy Niklas, the more I like. He can catch, and is a strong blocker, from a solid program.....might not be around in the 3rd, but if so, could be a solid pick.

I don't understand why CJ Fiedorowicz isn't higher on draft boards. To me, he's a phenomenal talent. I think he's better than previous 1st and 2nd round TE's in recent drafts like Eifert, Fleener, or Rudolph. I've watched some tape of his, he's 6-6, 265, and he can has big, strong hands that swallow up the ball. His hands are top shelf, really good. This guy's game is tailor-made for the NFL. I can see him going in the 2nd round, despite projections that he's a 3rd or 4th rounder. If we got him in the 3rd we'd be stealing him, and I think he's going to be the best TE in this draft. He ran a 4.76 at the combine, plenty fast enough for him. Plus, he was the top guy at his position in the 3-cone with a 7.10, showing great short area quickness. CJ's problem is that he played in a heavy run first offense at Iowa, where he was limited in opportunities. But watch him blossom in the NFL. He's a 2-way TE, a complete TE, and as good an athlete as Ebron is, he's not a 2-way TE.

The problem I have with Ebron at 12 is that he doesn't have the ceiling of Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis, and isn't the freakish athlete that those two players are. He is a talented athlete, he has some speed, but if you watch the tape, he doesn't run routes as well as Fiedo, and doesn't use his body as well in terms of physicality with the defenders, either. The more I watch of Ebron, I think he is a back end 1st rounder and does not have near enough upside or present near enough value to be taken at 12.

I'm with you Jimbo. The more I read about this kid the more I like him. One of the knocks on him is that he hasn't reached his potential:

"Could stand to adopt a more blue-collar work ethic when people aren’t watching -- is not a self-starter and has been able to cruise on his rare size and natural ability".

Sounds like Uncle Tom could get something special out of this kid. I'd be really happy if we took him in the 2nd, and ecstatic if he was there in the 3rd.

I agree, we need a TE....but they don't need to grab one in the 1st round. They should be able to get a decent tight end in the 4th.

And whatever happened to "The JPP of Tight Ends"?.....when the fuck is that dude going to contribute?

We need an offensive lineman in the 1st round.....the best available, doesn't matter what position he plays, because as far as I'm concerned left tackle is nowhere near settled with Broken Leg Beatme.

Arthur Lynch from UGA would be a good candidate and could be had in the fourth. He is a better blocker then Ebron and more of a threat in the a red zone. The whole wild card is what McAdoo plans on doing offensively

I'll have to check out Fiedorowicz.

The more I learn about Troy Niklas, the more I like. He can catch, and is a strong blocker, from a solid program.....might not be around in the 3rd, but if so, could be a solid pick.

I am intrigued by Niklas more and more. His game speed is better then his timed speed and his nickname is Hercules.

I would be legitimately surprised that with the performance of the offensive line last year, Beatty's injury and lack of production, and merely serviceable (in my opinion) free agent pick ups that the Giants front office is content going into the season without an offensive lineman prospect in the first or second round to add to the mix. Thinking they've fixed the biggest issue with the 2013 NYG with what they have done up to this point would be a costly mistake. A tight end in the first round, while flashy, would be completely unwise.

Since it's rare for rookies to start I think we have to plan for the departure of Chris Snee. For that I think the Giants grab Lewan in the first and either a DE or Yankey in the 2nd. I see them going after the best available TE/WR in the 3rd then it's a crapshoot thereafter.

I think they have his replacement with Jerry or Mosley.

Forgot about Jerry. That's one less issue then. I still think they grab Lewan in the first though... A DE in the 2nd and a TE in the 3rd

Mosely has done nothing and Jerry's only signed for 1 year. I wouldn't call either a replacement.

Schwartz is the only reliable plug we've signed to fix an offensive line full of holes. The backup center, who played well, what, two years ago who's coming off significant injury...well, he's a good depth signing and may turn out, but I'm not overly confident there. Beatty is a huge, huge question mark. And Snee is done after this year. There's a need for more to be done on the offensive line and getting a young stud who can play for cheap for the next 4 years...I'm all for that.

I would be legitimately surprised that with the performance of the offensive line last year, Beatty's injury and lack of production, and merely serviceable (in my opinion) free agent pick ups that the Giants front office is content going into the season without an offensive lineman prospect in the first or second round to add to the mix. Thinking they've fixed the biggest issue with the 2013 NYG with what they have done up to this point would be a costly mistake. A tight end in the first round, while flashy, would be completely unwise.

I can absolutely agree with that. I keep going back and forth. It would be awesome to build the line with youth and talent with another first rounder, I really wouldn't mind using the first two picks on the o line. But I worry about the lack of a true number one receiver, I think we have talent t the position and I think Randle can and will be a fine WR, but he's probably going to be more effective at the number 2 spot and cruz in the slot.

We have some serious holes to fil honestly.

I can absolutely agree with that. I keep going back and forth. It would be awesome to build the line with youth and talent with another first rounder, I really wouldn't mind using the first two picks on the o line. But I worry about the lack of a true number one receiver, I think we have talent t the position and I think Randle can and will be a fine WR, but he's probably going to be more effective at the number 2 spot and cruz in the slot.

We have some serious holes to fil honestly.

Check out Donte Moncrief, WR from Ole Miss -- ranked as their #67 overall and 11th best WR...could possibly be had in the 3rd when we pick with #74 overall.

Information below copied from cbssports...

6'2" 221 lbs 4.40 forty

STRENGTHS: Moncrief's thick frame, deceptive speed and smooth route-running make him a nightmare for cornerbacks. He does not possess the explosive moves of Southern Cal's Marqise Lee or Clemson's Sammy Watkins but might be a better player than either of them. He is sudden in his breaks, showing the ability to generate separation even against tight man coverage, and accelerates quickly, often leaving defenders in his dust on double-moves. Moncrief tracks the ball well and generally shows excellent hands (one drop vs. Texas), as well as the body control to make the dazzling grab. Moncrief is also cognizant in the running game, showing awareness and toughness as a downfield blocker

WEAKNESSES: Perhaps the only thing standing in Moncrief's way of becoming the first "skill-position" player from Mississippi to earn a first round draft selection since Eli Manning (No. 1 overall, 2004) is the question about his straight-line speed. Moncrief was not caught from behind on tapes viewed but the big-bodied receiver may not possess elite timed speed.

When it's time for the Giants to pick....it's going to be really tough if Evans, Ebron, Lewan, Donald, and Barr or Mosley are all on the board. If they are - TRADE DOWN a few picks!!!

Ideal situation:

Giants trade down to 18th overall and gain a 2nd round pick

1) Zack Martin

2) Troy Nicklas

2) David Yankey

I'd be so happy I would (in the infamous words of Clark Griswald), be "whistling dippidy-doo-da out my asshole"!

Trading down only works if there's a team willing to come up for a player they think could go off the board in the next few picks...

I'm also not sure that Yankey is going to last that far into the 2nd round. I'm seeing him going in the first 5-7 picks of the 2nd round on a lot of mocks...not that they're the ultimate deciding factor...but I get the feeling he won't be there for us.

Trading down only works if there's a team willing to come up for a player they think could go off the board in the next few picks...

I'm also not sure that Yankey is going to last that far into the 2nd round. I'm seeing him going in the first 5-7 picks of the 2nd round on a lot of mocks...not that they're the ultimate deciding factor...but I get the feeling he won't be there for us.

A lot of teams in the late first early second will be looking OG. Su'a Filo and Yankey will be gone. I also agree that nobody will come up to our spot to get ahead of St. Louis.

schwartz played very well last year but it was a pretty small sample size. we certainly have plenty of work to do on that o-line still

The Giants are his third team in three years. The only year he was a full time starter was 2010 in Carolina.

Forgot about Jerry. That's one less issue then. I still think they grab Lewan in the first though... A DE in the 2nd and a TE in the 3rd

I wouldn't be mad at that. I just have huge concerns with what's happening at DT. We rely on a heavy rotation, currently that's Jenkins and Hankins.

I wouldn't be mad at that. I just have huge concerns with what's happening at DT. We rely on a heavy rotation, currently that's Jenkins and Hankins.

I had high hopes for Kuhn. He should be back to health...I just don't know how he'll do. He had a mean streak and a non-stop motor and looked like he'd pan out. Perhaps the coaches think he is ready. That would be a nice surprise.

Mosely has done nothing and Jerry's only signed for 1 year. I wouldn't call either a replacement.

Schwartz is the only reliable plug we've signed to fix an offensive line full of holes. The backup center, who played well, what, two years ago who's coming off significant injury...well, he's a good depth signing and may turn out, but I'm not overly confident there. Beatty is a huge, huge question mark. And Snee is done after this year. There's a need for more to be done on the offensive line and getting a young stud who can play for cheap for the next 4 years...I'm all for that.

For this year, I think both qualify as a replacement in the event Snee gets injured. Jerry has done well with the phins and is serviceable as a starter. If/when Snee gets injured this is a good try out year to see if Jerry fits in our long term plans. Having Schwartz at LG should really help Beatty. Like I said though, a back up swing T should still be drafted within the top 3 rounds but doesn't necessarily have to be in round one considering the talent in this years class.

I'm a bit concerned with center as well but they gave him a starters contract. He has plenty of starting experience and should be fully healed by now. I would like to add a center somewhere in rounds 3-5 to compete.