SportsWrath

Giants Sign Rashad Jennings

Gman329

Sorry, no link, just heard on radio. Here's what Vacchiano had this AM:

Giants pursuing RB Rashad Jennings

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

With David Wilson recovering from a neck injury and Andre Brown a free agent, the Giants have been left with nothing but questions in their backfield.

In a few hours, they could get an answer.

According to an NFL source, the Giants are very interested in free agent running back Rashad Jennings, who spent the last four years with the Oakland Raiders. It is believed that the Giants are one of the favorites to land him, and he could make a decision soon after the market opens at 4 p.m. The Raiders would also like him back, according to a source, and they have more room under the salary cap to spend.

But the opportunity for the soon-to-be 29-year-old Jennings might be much better in New York.

With the Giants, the 6-1, 231-pounder would instantly step in as the No. 1 back and could be a focal point of new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo’s offense. Jennings made only eight starts last year in 15 games, but rushed for 733 yards and six touchdowns. In a 24-20 loss by the Raiders to the Giants at the Meadowlands on Nov. 10, Jennings rushed 20 times for 88 yards.

Jennings would likely be the main guy in a two-back offense for the Giants, either with Wilson if he’s healthy or perhaps with Peyton Hillis, who is expected to sign a two-year, $1.8 million contract with the Giants on Tuesday, as the Daily News reported earlier in the day.

The Giants are also one of the two finalists for Chiefs guard Geoff Schwartz, a 6-foot-6, 340-pounder who is also being pursued by the St. Louis Rams. The Giants are also not completely out of the chase for Packers center Evan Dietrich-Smith, though at this point it appears that Schwartz is their priority. Dietrich-Smith, who was expected to make a quick decision, is now not likely to make one on Tuesday, a source said. But it is believed that Schwartz will make his call between the Giants and Rams shortly after 4 p.m.

Jennings became the Raiders' every-down back when McFadden went down and he flourished, leading the NFL in total yards (596) in November. He rushed for a career high 733 yards and had six TDs and also caught 36 passes for 292 yards.

Makes me feel a little better about the running game.

Tweet from Jennings:

"Flying to the Big Apple tonight! Looking forward to signing the dotted lines with @Giants

5:12 PM - 11 Mar 2014 "

This is a good signing. Good luck in your new career Andre - there were moments when you shined. But with the signing of Hillis and Wilson still on the payroll, there won't be another back unless some drafted kid beats out Cox for the 4th spot.

From ESPN:

Rashad Jennings: Steady, sturdy, Jennings is the anti-McFadden in terms of staying on the field. He's not necessarily a home run threat, though he did break off an 80-yard touchdown run at Houston last season.

Jennings became the Raiders' every-down back when McFadden went down and he flourished, leading the NFL in total yards (596) in November. He rushed for a career high 733 yards and had six TDs and also caught 36 passes for 292 yards.

He did not fumble in 2013 and his 2.2 yards after first contact average was the second-best in the NFL.

Should be a solid compliment to Wilson.

Jennings and Schwartz...fantastic first day to FA. I agree, it spells the end of Andre Brown...then again, I'd let Brown fight it out with Cox and Hillis to see what shakes out there. But I'm not touching Andre Brown as far as a contract goes until after the draft or just before.

Not for nothing but we signed a 28 year old running back and didnt keep Linval? So we claim to want to get younger while letting go of a DT that is young and best years are ahead of him and sign a RB who has 2 maybe 3 years left in the tank. Horrible signing and if this continues Im selling my PSL's and seson tix because I will not contribute to bullshit like this anymore thank you very much. It boggles my mind anyone likes this.

Jennings and Schwartz...fantastic first day to FA. I agree, it spells the end of Andre Brown...then again, I'd let Brown fight it out with Cox and Hillis to see what shakes out there. But I'm not touching Andre Brown as far as a contract goes until after the draft or just before.

Did Schwartz sign up yet or just speculation?

Not for nothing but we signed a 28 year old running back and didnt keep Linval? So we claim to want to get younger while letting go of a DT that is young and best years are ahead of him and sign a RB who has 2 maybe 3 years left in the tank. Horrible signing and if this continues Im selling my PSL's and seson tix because I will not contribute to bullshit like this anymore thank you very much. It boggles my mind anyone likes this.

Well, not sure how much we are paying Jennings, but it's a good signing for cheap. His #s are there and he seems like the RB we've been in need of.

Jennings was a backup to MJD and McFadden, so he has low wear/tear. He had big time numbers the end of last year.

I don't want to see some 5 year, monstrous deal, but I'm excited to know that we're bringing in a guy who has the talent to succeed. We don't know what we have in Wilson...and behind him we had Hillis and Cox...two guys who are backups at best. RB was extremely thin this offseason and it was addressed by signing arguably the 2nd highest rated RB on the market (behind perhaps Ben Tate).

Further, I think the focus on offensive line improvement is the more important one anyway. But to your point, who'd you rather the team have signed at RB?

As for Joseph, yeah, we're all bummed that he was let walk. I think what's got folks questioning is the seemingly lack of effort in trying to keep him. But, we can't assume what went on behind closed doors. Maybe Joseph was pissed we drafted Hankins last year...maybe he wanted more spotlight that he wasn't getting given our DEs...who knows. Going to a place like Minnesota though...seems he picked a team that was further away from winning than the Giants are. Maybe I'm biased in that opinion given I'm a Giants fan. But it seems, given the Giants (perceived) lack of serious effort and Joseph's signing the first offer that came his way...that Joseph was intent on leaving at any cost and that winning wasn't really a focus.

and yeah jennings is very good. i am not a fan of our front office these days but that was an excellent signing

i think what makes it an excellent signing as opposed to a very good one, is that there was a top-notch offensive linemen that was signed at the same time.

If it had only been Jennings, many of us would have been asking about the offensive line