SportsWrath

Thinking about draft day - what direction do we take?

BleedinBlue

Tons of guards and centers in free agency this year. In any case, I still do believe you can find high quality guards and centers after the first round. And if we don't address the glaring hole at the X-WR, whether or not the O-line is fixed isn't going to matter much. You are right, Nicks could possibly resign for a short-term, prove your healthy kind of deal. Does anyone really think that is going to happen? If you are trying to re-establish your market on a deal like that, do you really do it in Gilly's offense? Maybe Detroit, or New England, or New Orleans. Not here. I don't think Nicks wants to stay, and I'm also not convinced we're ever going to see him play like he did when he was at his best, and it's sad. He's too young to be a shadow of himself already on the field. I think the injury he sustained to both his foot and the thigh when he had that blood/muscle issue... anyone remember what that was called? That was a serious one. I just don't think he's going to be the same.

Randle, in my judgement, appears to be a good #2. He could still blossom into something more, sure. But I'm not seeing the explosion from him or the desire for excellence on the field that the great ones have. And that may be the reason he slid to us in the draft on the back end of the 2nd.

If I'm Reese, I'm not going to wait for a rookie and cross my fingers and hope they can fix my offensive line trouble. I'm going to go into free agency and address it. Then I'm going to take the guy this offense REALLY needs. That's Evans, a match-up nightmare who is going to really open up the field for Cruz and Myers.

I don't care who you draft, you're not going to fix that mess on the line with one guy. But you can completely change the complexion of your offense with a special talent at receiver like Evans. Take a look at what he does to Alabama -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl2OfgKbEBs

Hightlights -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFOGBY0jR2U

Okay, we can agree that Nicks likely won't be here next year. Though, I still think there's a greater, albeit still small, chance than some may realize, that he'll be back...his lack of production and injuries have to have brought his asking price way, way down. Does that make him affordable for us, perhaps....but only if the whole league views him from the same platform...which is the kicker. It'll only take one team of 31 others that will view him as he was 2 years ago. I think that's what happens...he gets a large 2 year deal from someone and leaves.

So yeah, he'll need replaced...but with another #1? I don't think so. Cruz and Randle are our 1-2 next year. Do we look for a #3, yes, but I disagree it should happen in the first.

The argument for offensive line is simple and I'm surprised you aren't on the offensive line side of the fence at this point. Returning, for certain, next year...Beatty at LT and Pugh at RT. Booth, Cordle are free agents. Snee, Baas are injured to the point they may very likely retire. Diehl, he's aged his way to ineffective, and I believe he too, may be a free agent. Brewer, while satisfactory, hasn't shown himself to be a starter just yet. Our interior line, in 2014, is non-existent in every way possible. I don't see us getting 3 starting FA linemen, and even if we did, we'd be fools for neglecting our depth at the position. In the first round, one of the premier offensive tackles should be available, allowing us to shift Pugh to guard and giving us some security should Beatty shit the bed again. That also provides us a young and upcoming right side for years to come. Re-signing Booth at RG/C I think is really important this offseason. I think the FA we look for is also a G/C type guy who we can have for the next 4-5 years.

Not sure about Evans speed for the NFL. Plus this WR class is stocked. I think we got one later. I am still 90% on an olineman, the other 10% would be LB.

I doubt Evans will even be on the board. The Bills are salivating over him and will almost assuredly draft ahead of the Giants. The worst thing the Giants could do would be to run the board for the rest of the season. A couple of wins and we drop to 12 or 13 in the draft. We'll probably beat the Skins in the last game at MetLife stadium, but it would hurt us long term to beat either Seattle or Detroit....even though, I can't root for the Giants to lose.

It will depend an awful lot on where we end up at the end of the season. There are three stud LT's in the top 10 and we have a shot at one of them if they fall to us. If they are gone and Evans is gone, I suspect the Giants will snag Justin Gilbert, CB out of Oklahoma State who is by far, the top CB in the draft. They would then target an offensive lineman in the 2nd round.

Regardless...we need to cross our fingers that Tampa Bay, Pittsburg, Tennessee, ST Louis, etc., run the table for the last 3 games (or at least a couple games), and even hope that Green Bay wins at least one more game so that we will move up the board.

I doubt Evans will even be on the board. The Bills are salivating over him and will almost assuredly draft ahead of the Giants. The worst thing the Giants could do would be to run the board for the rest of the season. A couple of wins and we drop to 12 or 13 in the draft. We'll probably beat the Skins in the last game at MetLife stadium, but it would hurt us long term to beat either Seattle or Detroit....even though, I can't root for the Giants to lose.

It will depend an awful lot on where we end up at the end of the season. There are three stud LT's in the top 10 and we have a shot at one of them if they fall to us. If they are gone and Evans is gone, I suspect the Giants will snag Justin Gilbert, CB out of Oklahoma State who is by far, the top CB in the draft. They would then target an offensive lineman in the 2nd round.

Regardless...we need to cross our fingers that Tampa Bay, Pittsburg, Tennessee, ST Louis, etc., run the table for the last 3 games (or at least a couple games), and even hope that Green Bay wins at least one more game so that we will move up the board.

I dont think this Evans guy gets passed Green Bay if they pick ahead of us.

Their claim of being able to have every WR on the team be a #1 on any other team is coming to bite them in the ass. Jennings is gone, and Nelson has emerged as their only real threat.

If Evans is the best player in the draft I cant see Green Bay passing on giving Rodgers another weapon to throw too.

Okay, we can agree that Nicks likely won't be here next year. Though, I still think there's a greater, albeit still small, chance than some may realize, that he'll be back...his lack of production and injuries have to have brought his asking price way, way down. Does that make him affordable for us, perhaps....but only if the whole league views him from the same platform...which is the kicker. It'll only take one team of 31 others that will view him as he was 2 years ago. I think that's what happens...he gets a large 2 year deal from someone and leaves.

So yeah, he'll need replaced...but with another #1? I don't think so. Cruz and Randle are our 1-2 next year. Do we look for a #3, yes, but I disagree it should happen in the first.

The argument for offensive line is simple and I'm surprised you aren't on the offensive line side of the fence at this point. Returning, for certain, next year...Beatty at LT and Pugh at RT. Booth, Cordle are free agents. Snee, Baas are injured to the point they may very likely retire. Diehl, he's aged his way to ineffective, and I believe he too, may be a free agent. Brewer, while satisfactory, hasn't shown himself to be a starter just yet. Our interior line, in 2014, is non-existent in every way possible. I don't see us getting 3 starting FA linemen, and even if we did, we'd be fools for neglecting our depth at the position. In the first round, one of the premier offensive tackles should be available, allowing us to shift Pugh to guard and giving us some security should Beatty shit the bed again. That also provides us a young and upcoming right side for years to come. Re-signing Booth at RG/C I think is really important this offseason. I think the FA we look for is also a G/C type guy who we can have for the next 4-5 years.

I am very much on the side of the fence that the O-line needs a lot of attention and new faces. Baas is likely going to be cut. Diehl is a free agent and unlikely to be resigned (and may retire), and Snee is entering the last year of his deal and it's a voidable year for the Giants, which they should exercise, he would make nearly $7 mil if they don't void that final year. Snee is another candidate to get a gold watch, as you said. I don't think the Giants will try to re-make the O-line with rookies. I think they will try to re-sign Boothe and go into free agency to try to add a legitimate starting Guard. I disagree with the notion that Pugh be moved inside. He's a tackle, he played well in his first season, there is no reason to move him inside. It's easier to find a quality interior lineman than a quality tackle, and cheaper, too. I think the Giants will sign another backup versatile lineman with starting experience, and I believe they will draft a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round, and possibly the future at Center later. The line is fixable without trying to pigeon-hole the first round pick. Remember, Chris Snee was a 2nd rounder, as was Beatty (who despite having a down year, is still the team's future at LT).

I am very much on the side of the fence that the O-line needs a lot of attention and new faces. Baas is likely going to be cut. Diehl is a free agent and unlikely to be resigned (and may retire), and Snee is entering the last year of his deal and it's a voidable year for the Giants, which they should exercise, he would make nearly $7 mil if they don't void that final year. Snee is another candidate to get a gold watch, as you said. I don't think the Giants will try to re-make the O-line with rookies. I think they will try to re-sign Boothe and go into free agency to try to add a legitimate starting Guard. I disagree with the notion that Pugh be moved inside. He's a tackle, he played well in his first season, there is no reason to move him inside. It's easier to find a quality interior lineman than a quality tackle, and cheaper, too. I think the Giants will sign another backup versatile lineman with starting experience, and I believe they will draft a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round, and possibly the future at Center later. The line is fixable without trying to pigeon-hole the first round pick. Remember, Chris Snee was a 2nd rounder, as was Beatty (who despite having a down year, is still the team's future at LT).

Good points.

If there is a stud tackle like Jake Mathews on the board, there's no way we can pass him up...but pretty sure he'll be gone. So we should go for the best LB or CB on the board. Use FA to shore up the line and a 2nd round pick if a stud interior lineman is still there. Centers usually fall and even the top center in the draft often doesn't go until the 3rd round or later, but I'd love to see us get a solid center.

It should be an interesting draft because we need just about everything. We should probably get a decent comp pick or two, assuming some teams snag up Nicks and/or Tuck, who I'm pretty sure we'll let go.

I think Tuck stays and finished out his career in New York.

Dude may not have much left in the tank, but I think he looks at the Michael Strahans, Tiki Barbers, Antonio Pierces, etc. of former Giants teams and realizes there's a lot more opportunities for people who stay in New York than people who bail.

Honestly, he's arguably been our best D-lineman this year. The sacks are finally coming but he's been very active all season.

Good points.

If there is a stud tackle like Jake Mathews on the board, there's no way we can pass him up...but pretty sure he'll be gone. So we should go for the best LB or CB on the board. Use FA to shore up the line and a 2nd round pick if a stud interior lineman is still there. Centers usually fall and even the top center in the draft often doesn't go until the 3rd round or later, but I'd love to see us get a solid center.

It should be an interesting draft because we need just about everything. We should probably get a decent comp pick or two, assuming some teams snag up Nicks and/or Tuck, who I'm pretty sure we'll let go.

Comp picks for guys we lose this offseason won't be granted until 2015 draft...AND they're buoyed by the free agents we do bring in. So, if we lose Nicks, but bring in a starting G from another team...we're likely not getting much of a comp pick.

If we let Baas, Snee, Diehl ride off into the sunset...that leaves us with Beatty-Booth-?-?-Pugh. That's two huge holes. I agree on bringing in a free agent or two, but that still leaves us awfully thin depth-wise assuming the two FAs would start.

Given our draft position, our first rounder is far too high for a G/C. I believe at this point we'll have a shot at one of the 3 or 4 tackles. Drafting one of the tackles, does two things. It would allow us the option, not saying it'd be definite, but it'd allow us the flexibility of moving Pugh down to G, starting the rookie at RT. That would plug one of the glaring holes. The second thing is that it'd provide some depth behind Beatty if this year turns into a pattern.

So yeah, I'm with you on the fact we need two FA linemen, but I don't think that negates the need to draft one in the first.

WR Mike Evans from Texas A&M. He's 6'5", with great speed, and a highly productive receiver who has torn up the best of college defenses this year. I can hear you all groan, "We need an O-lineman, we need a linebacker!" Yep, we sure do. This team has a lot of holes that needs to be filled. But one thing you want to do in the first round is hit a homerun, get a guy who is going to give the biggest bang for the buck. That's Evans. If you need convincing, watch what Alshon Jeffery is doing for Josh McCown of all people. Look at what AJ Green does for Cincinatti. Look at what the loss of Julio Jones has done for the Falcons. A great receiver is a game-changer by himself. Forces so much attention and pressure on a defense. These kinds of players don't grow on trees. Nicks is going to be gone after this season, and everyone should know Eli needs a guy like Nicks in his heyday or Plaxico Burress in the '07 run to make this offense really work.

For me, not getting Mike Evans would be a bummer.

Yes, I Like him. Reminds me of a young Brandon Marshall. :)

seriously, I don't watch a lot of College football but I like what I see from that kid.

If we let Baas, Snee, Diehl ride off into the sunset...that leaves us with Beatty-Booth-?-?-Pugh. That's two huge holes. I agree on bringing in a free agent or two, but that still leaves us awfully thin depth-wise assuming the two FAs would start.

Given our draft position, our first rounder is far too high for a G/C. I believe at this point we'll have a shot at one of the 3 or 4 tackles. Drafting one of the tackles, does two things. It would allow us the option, not saying it'd be definite, but it'd allow us the flexibility of moving Pugh down to G, starting the rookie at RT. That would plug one of the glaring holes. The second thing is that it'd provide some depth behind Beatty if this year turns into a pattern.

So yeah, I'm with you on the fact we need two FA linemen, but I don't think that negates the need to draft one in the first.

If we draft a tackle, I'd rather see Beatty move to the inside than Pugh. This is Pugh's rookie year and he has hands down outplayed Beatty. Pugh has the light quick footwork and savvy of a great tackle. Beatty - well, he's big and very strong, but his footwork is heavy and plodding and therein lies his problem IMO.

I'm surprised so many people are calling for Pugh to move to the inside. He was a 4-year left tackle in college and has played well in an unfamiliar position this year as a right tackle in the NFL. I don't think moving Pugh to the inside is a smart move. He's only going to get better where he's at and he is playing better than the tackles taken ahead of him in the draft.

If we draft a tackle, I'd rather see Beatty move to the inside than Pugh. This is Pugh's rookie year and he has hands down outplayed Beatty. Pugh has the light quick footwork and savvy of a great tackle. Beatty - well, he's big and very strong, but his footwork is heavy and plodding and therein lies his problem IMO.

I'm surprised so many people are calling for Pugh to move to the inside. He was a 4-year left tackle in college and has played well in an unfamiliar position this year as a right tackle in the NFL. I don't think moving Pugh to the inside is a smart move. He's only going to get better where he's at and he is playing better than the tackles taken ahead of him in the draft.

I've also read in a few places that the Giants think Pugh is a perfect fit at RT and have every intention of leaving him there. As you mention above, the guy I'd love to get is Mathews. He can play Guard and also provide insurance if Beatty continues to under-perform at LT (in which case, we're stuck with a nightmare contract). I believe most of our problems this year stem from the O line under-performing and getting old overnight. There needs to be a serious infusion of new bodies there, both through the draft and free agency and come training camp, everyone should be on notice that they are competing for jobs.