SportsWrath

My take on Nicks' future...

Allstarjim

Given Nicks' recent history of nagging injury and up and down production, I'd be surprised if any team offers him anything more than what Cruz got. He might be pricing himself back to us.

I always say you measure a player's performance over a period of time... sure Nicks was intrumental in our SB run... outside of that what though? As Jim correctly pointed out, he looks like he lost interest... why? Is he playing for free or is he now under contract? There are a ton of great WR in this league.. Nicks has the physical ability to be that... where is it? he's just going thru the motion.. to him it's a business... to us fans it's more than that.

That was actually gmenroc who said that. With Nicks, I think he doesn't have the same explosion as he used to, because of the accumulation of all the leg injuries he's sustained. I know he's been working all year to manage himself to stay healthy. He's no dope, he knows a productive season is going to translate into big money. I think the Giants COULD afford him if they wanted to. And I would want him to stay. I just don't think it's the wisest course of action given that the team needs a lot of help on the lines, and IMO, they should address that in part with free agency. And another critical re-sign is Kevin Boothe, who is also a UFA. I think if you focus larger portions of your salary cap to the skill positions and not the lines where it all starts, it's a mistake. You can get away with being cheap sometimes, but you have to make sure those lines have quality starters and quality depth.

I can see how the Giants can "afford" to pay Nicks $10 mil per, which is probably the starting point for what it will take. But I don't think they should, after they gave Cruz a lot of money (even though it was a reasonable deal from the team's standpoint). If we are going to do that, then Eli needs to make a lot less than he does.

I'd like the Giants to have a stud TE again. I love watching Jimmy Graham, Jordan Cameron, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez... these guys, we need to get a guy like that to help Eli. Myers is ok as a receiver. But he isn't in any of these guys' class from an athletic or physical standpoint, and lacks blocking ability. I think if you can draft a TE relatively early or get Greg Olsen from Carolina, who will be a free agent, it would help a lot. Jermichael Finely also will be a UFA.

That was actually gmenroc who said that. With Nicks, I think he doesn't have the same explosion as he used to, because of the accumulation of all the leg injuries he's sustained. I know he's been working all year to manage himself to stay healthy. He's no dope, he knows a productive season is going to translate into big money. I think the Giants COULD afford him if they wanted to. And I would want him to stay. I just don't think it's the wisest course of action given that the team needs a lot of help on the lines, and IMO, they should address that in part with free agency. And another critical re-sign is Kevin Boothe, who is also a UFA. I think if you focus larger portions of your salary cap to the skill positions and not the lines where it all starts, it's a mistake. You can get away with being cheap sometimes, but you have to make sure those lines have quality starters and quality depth.

I can see how the Giants can "afford" to pay Nicks $10 mil per, which is probably the starting point for what it will take. But I don't think they should, after they gave Cruz a lot of money (even though it was a reasonable deal from the team's standpoint). If we are going to do that, then Eli needs to make a lot less than he does.

I'd like the Giants to have a stud TE again. I love watching Jimmy Graham, Jordan Cameron, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez... these guys, we need to get a guy like that to help Eli. Myers is ok as a receiver. But he isn't in any of these guys' class from an athletic or physical standpoint, and lacks blocking ability. I think if you can draft a TE relatively early or get Greg Olsen from Carolina, who will be a free agent, it would help a lot. Jermichael Finely also will be a UFA.

Well said... and I'm ok with Nicks leaving given the vibe I as a fan has been getting from him.... and of course the cap issue. Long passes work great in Madden Football but that's not how I want my Giants to play... I want be able to run the ball at will... I want teams to know we're going to run and not a damn thing they can do about it... that as you and others have stated starts in the trenches.

So you don't see guys that are hobbled on the field all season, every season as injury-prone? I think Tuck just teared a little bit...

And I'm not saying Nicks is in Tuck's category--but playing injured isn't really all that great, either. It will catch up with him eventually.

i see a distinction between a player who is banged up but producing and a player who never sees the field. as long as we're getting what we pay for (or way more in his case) i don't care about some mild strain or dislocated finger

Like Bennett? <_<

Did Bennett end up signing for more than we paid Myers?

From Rotoworld.

Bennett:

Signed a four-year, $20.4 million contract. The deal contains $5.215 million guaranteed, including a $4.5 million signing bonus. Bennett is eligible for an annual $100,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2013: $715,000, 2014: $4.8 million, 2015: $4.9 million, 2016: $5.085 million, 2017: Free Agent.

Myers:

Signed a one-year, $2.25 million contract. The deal included a $1.5 million signing bonus. 2013: $725,000 (+ $25,000 workout bonus), 2014: Free Agent.

It's not surprising that the Giants wouldn't pay Bennett though. The organisation doesn't seem to care much for LBs and TEs. If a TE does well and wants a reasonable contract it's good bye.

From Rotoworld.

Bennett:

Signed a four-year, $20.4 million contract. The deal contains $5.215 million guaranteed, including a $4.5 million signing bonus. Bennett is eligible for an annual $100,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2013: $715,000, 2014: $4.8 million, 2015: $4.9 million, 2016: $5.085 million, 2017: Free Agent.

Myers:

Signed a one-year, $2.25 million contract. The deal included a $1.5 million signing bonus. 2013: $725,000 (+ $25,000 workout bonus), 2014: Free Agent.

It's not surprising that the Giants wouldn't pay Bennett though. The organisation doesn't seem to care much for LBs and TEs. If a TE does well and wants a reasonable contract it's good bye.

My guess is that's about to change.

My guess is that's about to change.

Your guess is wrong. The Giants don't value the position very highly, just like LB. You can pay only so many positions so TE and LB is relegated. The least Reese should have done is went with good blocking TEs.

We should trade him now for whatever we can get within reason.

Nicks is going to want in the neighborhood of 10 million per season. If we paid him that, then a third of all our cap money would be tied up in three players: Eli, Cruz, and Nicks. Reese would have a tough time building any other position on the team.

What the team needs now is cheap labor, and you get that in the draft. We should take a conditional third for him and hope Reese doesn't use it on the next Ramses Barden, Chad Jones, or Jayron Hoseley.

We should trade him now for whatever we can get within reason.

Nicks is going to want in the neighborhood of 10 million per season. If we paid him that, then a third of all our cap money would be tied up in three players: Eli, Cruz, and Nicks. Reese would have a tough time building any other position on the team.

What the team needs now is cheap labor, and you get that in the draft. We should take a conditional third for him and hope Reese doesn't use it on the next Ramses Barden, Chad Jones, or Jayron Hoseley.

A conditional 3rd for Nicks??? Come on Seph. I can understand skeptical and pissed off. But thats just ridiculous

A conditional 3rd for Nicks??? Come on Seph. I can understand skeptical and pissed off. But thats just ridiculous

What do you expect to get for him? He's a player who has been injured every year he's been in the league that you're only guarnateed ten games out of. Nobody is going to give you a second or first... if you make it conditional, maybe you get a second out of the deal if you're lucky and the team we trade him to goes on a playoff run. Honestly, I have no idea where people on this board are getting their player values from.

The Giants choices with Nicks are:

1. Pay him what he wants after this season and hamstring the rest of your team for the duration of the contract,

2. Let him walk after this season and get nothing,

3. Get something of value in a trade now and hope Reese doesn't blow the pick.

What do you expect to get for him? He's a player who has been injured every year he's been in the league that you're only guarnateed ten games out of. Nobody is going to give you a second or first... if you make it conditional, maybe you get a second out of the deal if you're lucky and the team we trade him to goes on a playoff run. Honestly, I have no idea where people on this board are getting their player values from.

1. Pay him what he wants after this season and hamstring the rest of your team for the duration of the contract,

Reese wont get anything of value from a trade, not because Nicks is injured throughout the season but the fact is Nicks has 10 games left on his contract.

Not a single contending team is going to trade away anything let alone of maybe a seventh round pick for a guy who is going to come in, have to learn the system and then maybe give you four or five solid games.

We might be able to get something if we sign Nicks to a contract, take the cap hit then trade him away to a team that will take the contract as well, but I highly doubt any single team is stupid enough to trade anything other then maybe another player for Nicks.

Reese wont get anything of value from a trade, not because Nicks is injured throughout the season but the fact is Nicks has 10 games left on his contract.

Not a single contending team is going to trade away anything let alone of maybe a seventh round pick for a guy who is going to come in, have to learn the system and then maybe give you four or five solid games.

We might be able to get something if we sign Nicks to a contract, take the cap hit then trade him away to a team that will take the contract as well, but I highly doubt any single team is stupid enough to trade anything other then maybe another player for Nicks.

This.