SportsWrath

My take on Nicks' future...

Allstarjim

we should trade Nicks ...NOW ....IMO ....for something like a 2nd and a 4th round pick.

the season is over , he cant really stay healthy , we cant afford to resign him anyway .....plenty of teams need WR's now ......I wish JR would just get on and do it

Who would give us a 2nd and 4th for guy who will be very expensive next year, can't stay healthy, and hasn't played up to the hype?

at this point i think nas is just trying to troll me lol

Look I like Nicks... but he isn't the #1 WR in the NFL you seem to mae him out to be. And quite frankly I think another team will pay him what he wants... the Giants will make him an offer based on what he's worth... he probably will go to the highest bidder.

he's on pace for almost 1200 yards, has put up #1 wr seasons in all but 1 injury plagued year since becoming a starter and had the greatest postseason for a wr ever. what the fuck else do you want him to do, nas?

If he walks in free agency, most likley they get a compensatory 3rd round pick in 2015.

So, unless they get a 2nd for 2014, the Giants really don't need to push this.

Some other team (e.g., Patriots, KC, etc) that has a legitimate shot at going deep in the playoffs should be pitching the Giants, not the other way around.

he's on pace for almost 1200 yards, has put up #1 wr seasons in all but 1 injury plagued year since becoming a starter and had the greatest postseason for a wr ever. what the fuck else do you want him to do, nas?

I like Nicks... you LOVE nicks. That's all. Right now there hasn't been an issue... his contract issue will come up in the offseason... and if he wants to stay, he knows us fans and the organization want him to stay... but I'm not one who's willing to hamstring the team's finances because of a handful of players... Eli included. I think a team is better built around blue collar well paid (not highly paid) players like the Patriots.... what fucked us up and got us here are the highly paid underperforming guys we have on the roster... and we're not going to have that again... Nicks will be made a FAIR offer... we will not overpay for him and we will not try to squeeze him... look at Cruz.. he got what I think was his worth.. Nicks will get an offer... once the #s are on the table then we can picker on which side is fucking up.

Sometime these guys need to learn how to answer simple questions... from the sound of it... he wants out:

And then there’s this: Does Nicks even want to be back? Unlike most other free agents-to-be, he has steadfastly refused to answer that question with even a half-hearted yes. When asked on Monday if he wanted to stay here and suffer with the rest of his teammates for the rest of the season, Nicks again hedged, saying “At the end of the day, business is business. … I’m a Giant right now. I’m going to enjoy it.”

The issue with Nicks being traded is that essentially, he'd be rental for whatever team who'd trade for him. Part of the trade condition would rely upon his signing a new contract with that new team I'm sure. I just don't see that happening. I don't see Nicks necessarily signing a new deal, rushed into two weeks of negotiations, with a limited number of suitors when he could enter lengthy negotiations with a much larger pool of candidates in just a few months.

In all honesty, Nicks has been playing like he's lost interest...to me anyhow. Seems as if he's going through the motions only. Maybe the injuries have slowed him to the point where he's not getting separation, but he's had some drops here and there now too that just don't sit well with me.

As good as he's been, and as good as he could have been, I don't need to see him back next year. And with that said, if a team came offering a 4th round pick, I'd strongly consider the deal. I'd likely counter by accepting a 4th or 3rd, depending upon where the interested team is drafting. Top 4th or bottom 3rd would be my target compensation.

As far as gathering a replacement, I'd draft WR no earlier than the 3rd round. Offensive line, linebacker, defensive back...they need to be in the top 4 rounds as well. I'm also strongly considering trading Nassib at this point, but his trade value is so low that it'd likely not be worth it. Giants should have gotten the kid some playing time in the blowout losses we've had to tryout before the trade deadline.

nas, i have no problems with your stance on resigning him and i can understand if we decide to rebuild and not commit 20 mil against the cap to wide receivers. i will hate it, but i will understand.

i do think we made the wrong move by not letting cruz just sign his tender and instead giving nicks an extension this offseason but i am not privy to any negotiations between the giants and nicks' agent so i have no idea if they were very far apart in any preliminary discussions. it would not surprise me seeing as how a team would understandably try to take advantage of an injury plagued year while a player would understandably say "hey, that's not my typical year".

what we usually do disagree on is how good nicks has been here. i take issue with the "not living up to the hype" comment and your general stance on his performance as a giant because not only do i think he's been a tremendous and extremely valuable #1 receiver for us, i also believe that he's been very underhyped. watch the giants superbowl dvd and see how much they talk about nicks. look how fast a percentage of the fan base turned on him last year for being hurt and trying to play through it. the 2012 postseason should've made him otis anderson at the very least with this fan base but instead he's basically forgotten about and insulted with comments such as "well rueben randle can just step right in and we won't lose anything". it's annoying and yes he's my favorite player but i honestly think he gets a raw deal with the bogus "always injured" crap (9 games missed in 4 years) and not enough credit for his role in the last superbowl run or as a top wr in general

Still most yards though, right?

no it looks like he has the record for catches, yards and td's but he also had a million targets that postseason too.

i think nicks is second across the board and boldin is 3rd

Nicks is so overhyped that it took until the SB win for half of the fan base to get his name right.

lol well i bet cruz remembered his name when his yards fell off 33% last year without a healthy nicks on the other side

nas, i have no problems with your stance on resigning him and i can understand if we decide to rebuild and not commit 20 mil against the cap to wide receivers. i will hate it, but i will understand.

i do think we made the wrong move by not letting cruz just sign his tender and instead giving nicks an extension this offseason but i am not privy to any negotiations between the giants and nicks' agent so i have no idea if they were very far apart in any preliminary discussions. it would not surprise me seeing as how a team would understandably try to take advantage of an injury plagued year while a player would understandably say "hey, that's not my typical year".

what we usually do disagree on is how good nicks has been here. i take issue with the "not living up to the hype" comment and your general stance on his performance as a giant because not only do i think he's been a tremendous and extremely valuable #1 receiver for us, i also believe that he's been very underhyped. watch the giants superbowl dvd and see how much they talk about nicks. look how fast a percentage of the fan base turned on him last year for being hurt and trying to play through it. the 2012 postseason should've made him otis anderson at the very least with this fan base but instead he's basically forgotten about and insulted with comments such as "well rueben randle can just step right in and we won't lose anything". it's annoying and yes he's my favorite player but i honestly think he gets a raw deal with the bogus "always injured" crap (9 games missed in 4 years) and not enough credit for his role in the last superbowl run or as a top wr in general

I always say you measure a player's performance over a period of time... sure Nicks was intrumental in our SB run... outside of that what though? As Jim correctly pointed out, he looks like he lost interest... why? Is he playing for free or is he now under contract? There are a ton of great WR in this league.. Nicks has the physical ability to be that... where is it? he's just going thru the motion.. to him it's a business... to us fans it's more than that.

outside of the superbowl run he put up #1 WR numbers every season that he's been a starter except for last season.

this season he's on pace for almost 1200 yards and has the highest ypc of his career despite losing targets to randle. i'd love to see how good he'd be if he "showed interest" lol

Wellllll....he does get injured a lot. But the rest, I agree with. It's easy to slag him after a bad season due to injury, and then try to not be critical of any player in an 0-6 season.

But the fact of the matter is that regardless of Randle's play, we're going to miss him. He's completely let me forget about Plaxico, and if he doesn't stay on, we'll be robbed of at least one of the guys who would have beat Toomer's career record.

outside of the superbowl run he put up #1 WR numbers every season that he's been a starter except for last season.

this season he's on pace for almost 1200 yards and has the highest ypc of his career despite losing targets to randle. i'd love to see how good he'd be if he "showed interest" lol

I want Nicks to stay... the organization wants Nicks to stay... the question is does Nicks wanna stay?

we'll see how much the organization wanted him to stay when we hear what kind of offer they made him.

without being privy to any negotiations between his agents and the front office all i've seen so far is them prioritize their slot receiver who's production fell by 33% without a healthy nicks in the lineup

Wellllll....he does get injured a lot. But the rest, I agree with. It's easy to slag him after a bad season due to injury, and then try to not be critical of any player in an 0-6 season.

But the fact of the matter is that regardless of Randle's play, we're going to miss him. He's completely let me forget about Plaxico, and if he doesn't stay on, we'll be robbed of at least one of the guys who would have beat Toomer's career record.

i see injury-prone guys as the ones who miss lots of games. nicks is perpetually banged up but he plays and still produces other than last year. so i don't see why people freak out so much about this

i see injury-prone guys as the ones who miss lots of games. nicks is perpetually banged up but he plays and still produces other than last year. so i don't see why people freak out so much about this

So you don't see guys that are hobbled on the field all season, every season as injury-prone? I think Tuck just teared a little bit...

And I'm not saying Nicks is in Tuck's category--but playing injured isn't really all that great, either. It will catch up with him eventually.