SportsWrath

Let's Say Coughlin does Retire

fringe

Personally, I'm intriqued by Ken Whisenhunt. An offensive mind, that got a decrepit Curt Warner and mediocre Cardinal team to the brink of a Lombardi. But he'd have to pick an outstanding DC, because that entire side really needs to be blown up and rebuilt.

I think he'd be good for Manning, and good for the offense, which would probably be the easiest side to fix and get us back into the mix. For all we know, we might have decent guards already, if they get experience, and some consistency in position--we desperately need a center that's on the field, though.

Right now, the defense is held together by duct tape and nostalgia, and went into the season that way. When a guy comes in a week ago and immediately becomes your best LB (from everything I've seen/read, I was working Thurs. night), that's a sign. When a guy with a previously blown achilles and recovering from microfracture surgery comes in a week ago and immediately becomes your best LB--well, that's a slap to the back of your collective heads.

If Fewell gets a new contract after this season, I will flip out. After 3 years, I think it's safe to say that the SB run was the exception to the rule. The defense is playing better than last year, but considering last year they were historically bad, what the hell does that mean? He is not the guy for a rebuild.

Gilbride can go, too. You'll never convince me that he was as bad as some of you guys seem to think, and we've seen some of the best offensive production ever seen in Giant's blue: but he isn't adjusting to realities that are obviously happening on the field, and that's damning. I'm not talking about in-game play calling--that's always going to be hit-or-miss with any coordinator: but he's shown he's game-planning for ghosts. If he'd shown even an ounce of flexibility 3 or so games ago when it was obvious things weren't working as planned, I'd be more forgiving--but your QB has already thrown double-digit INTs, you still don't have a consistent running game, your offensive weapons are still not on the same page; and you're still running the same plays? Bye-bye.

You could argue that Whisenhunt got to the SB in the weakest division in the league (at that point). Frankly, guess where this division is at right now? And he did it with basically a broken down QB and 1 superstar WR. We're actually in a bit better position.

Personally, I'm intriqued by Ken Whisenhunt. An offensive mind, that got a decrepit Curt Warner and mediocre Cardinal team to the brink of a Lombardi. But he'd have to pick an outstanding DC, because that entire side really needs to be blown up and rebuilt.

I think he'd be good for Manning, and good for the offense, which would probably be the easiest side to fix and get us back into the mix. For all we know, we might have decent guards already, if they get experience, and some consistency in position--we desperately need a center that's on the field, though.

Right now, the defense is held together by duct tape and nostalgia, and went into the season that way. When a guy comes in a week ago and immediately becomes your best LB (from everything I've seen/read, I was working Thurs. night), that's a sign. When a guy with a previously blown achilles and recovering from microfracture surgery comes in a week ago and immediately becomes your best LB--well, that's a slap to the back of your collective heads.

If Fewell gets a new contract after this season, I will flip out. After 3 years, I think it's safe to say that the SB run was the exception to the rule. The defense is playing better than last year, but considering last year they were historically bad, what the hell does that mean? He is not the guy for a rebuild.

Gilbride can go, too. You'll never convince me that he was as bad as some of you guys seem to think, and we've seen some of the best offensive production ever seen in Giant's blue: but he isn't adjusting to realities that are obviously happening on the field, and that's damning. I'm not talking about in-game play calling--that's always going to be hit-or-miss with any coordinator: but he's shown he's game-planning for ghosts. If he'd shown even an ounce of flexibility 3 or so games ago when it was obvious things weren't working as planned, I'd be more forgiving--but your QB has already thrown double-digit INTs, you still don't have a consistent running game, your offensive weapons are still not on the same page; and you're still running the same plays? Bye-bye.

You could argue that Whisenhunt got to the SB in the weakest division in the league (at that point). Frankly, guess where this division is at right now? And he did it with basically a broken down QB and 1 superstar WR. We're actually in a bit better position.

I'm also very impressed with Whisenhunt and think Arizona made a huge mistake letting him go. He's a phenomenal coach and would be at the top of my list if Coughlin were to walk or be fired (which can still happen, despite statements to the contrary). Also, Fish's assessment of Gilbride is spot on. It's time for the Shady Oaks Retirement Community for Gilly.