SportsWrath

Why does Curtis Painter have a roster spot?

osi724dasack

He outplayed Carr in preseason. Simple as that. Carr had to know there are no free rides under Coughlin, that you have to justify your spot every day. If he or any of the other Giants forgot that, this was a reminder.

Why I ask?

Why?

in order for us to keep Nassib .......waste a roster spot .......then have to cut Kyle Bosworth so that the Cowboys can claim him ......and play him against us on Sept 8 ....when he will then break Eli's legs so that we need to use Painter ! .....obviously

This I say

This

Know why we don't do this? Because we'd be putting Nassib in position to fail, not succeed. And because we're not the Jets, that's why.

While i agree that if Eli goes down for any significant period of time, we're screwed, anyway but with Painter, we just might be able to steal a game or two, if that's all that's needed. Nassib has no chance to win an NFL game right now. And go ask David Carr about the drawbacks of being thrown to the wolves too early. It's a poor form of on the job training.

Know why we don't do this? Because we'd be putting Nassib in position to fail, not succeed. And because we're not the Jets, that's why.

While i agree that if Eli goes down for any significant period of time, we're screwed, anyway but with Painter, we just might be able to steal a game or two, if that's all that's needed. Nassib has no chance to win an NFL game right now. And go ask David Carr about the drawbacks of being thrown to the wolves too early. It's a poor form of on the job training.

In the long run, it probably extended his career. He's lived on and on with the thinking that he would've been good had he not endured all those sacks in Houston. Fact is, he's sucked from the start.

Why I ask?

Why?

I know its from bleacher report but you will see the stats at the end

When quarterback Curtis Painter was signed to a reserve/futures contract, many people didn't give the transaction a second thought, figuring that Painter would be nothing more than an extra arm for training camp—if he made it to training camp.

Well, not only did Painter make it to camp, before too long, he had created what offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride called "a legitimate competition" with longtime Giants veteran David Carr for the role of Eli Manning's understudy.

When it was Carr, and not Painter, who was announced as being on the team’s roster transactions, many people were shocked that they would go with Painter, who last year was out of football, over Carr, who’s been in the Giants system four of the last five seasons.

A closer look at the numbers, though, reveal why head coach Tom Coughlin opined that Painter had a better preseason performance.

Painter topped Carr in passing yards (289 to 163) and touchdowns (one to zero), which in itself wasn’t that impressive.

What was impressive, however, is that he engineered five scoring drives for 19 of the Giants' 71 preseason points while working with the same second- and third-string players as Carr, who only engineered three of 10 drives into nine points.

There is one reason and one reason only Painter is the backup QB over Carr. He's cheaper.

yes apparently their where 400,000 reasons to go with Painter over Carr. If either guy is in for extended period where fucked so we should spend the money elsewhere

yes apparently their where 400,000 reasons to go with Painter over Carr. If either guy is in for extended period where fucked so we should spend the money elsewhere

Like on the backups backup....Ryan Nassib.

Yeah, you want to say he can be a competent NFL QB....OK, I'd like to think there's a good chance of that. But "special" for a 4th round pick who is clearly a project is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Yeah, you want to say he can be a competent NFL QB....OK, I'd like to think there's a good chance of that. But "special" for a 4th round pick who is clearly a project is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

No I don't think it's a stretch at all... I don't mean Aaron Rogers special but special nonetheless.