Espn did a feature on Adrian Tracy

Herc

'Yosi' ready to seize opportunity

June, 5, 2013

JUN 5

6:00

AM ET

By Ohm Youngmisuk | ESPNNewYork.com

With Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul absent from a voluntary OTA last week, Adrian Tracywas elevated to the first team.

And Tracy was happy for the opportunity to work with Mathias Kiwanuka as the starting defensive ends in practice last Thursday.

[+] Enlarge

ny_u_tracy01jr_200.jpgJim O'Connor/USA TODAY SportsAdrian Tracy has an opportunity to prove he is ready for a bigger role in the Giants' defense.With Pierre-Paul sidelined now for an expected 12 weeks due to back surgery, Kiwanuka will clearly benefit the most and is likely to move up to the first team with Tuck.

But Tracy will see plenty of chances to prove that he is ready for a much bigger role. The young defensive end nicknamed "Yosi" -- as in Young Osi -- hopes he can help fill the void left behind by Osi Umenyiora’s departure to Atlanta and serve as the third defensive end now while JPP is sidelined.

"It is big not only for me but for everybody," Tracy said last week of the opportunity to move up with Umenyiora gone. "Somebody of that stature leaves for whatever reason, an opportunity always opens. Whoever seizes it will step in that place and hopefully that is me this year."

Tracy was drafted in the sixth round in 2010, the same year Pierre-Paul was selected 15th overall by the Giants.

But Tracy, who was converted to linebacker as a rookie, spent 2010 on injured reserve with an elbow and biceps injury. In 2011, Tracy was a practice squad player as the Giants made their Super Bowl run.

This past season, Tracy saw his first playing time, albeit sparingly. Rotating in behind a stacked rotation of Tuck, Pierre-Paul, Umenyiora and Kiwanuka, Tracy had 12 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble in 16 games.

His best game came in the Giants’ 26-3 rout in San Francisco in Week 6. Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell threw a wrinkle in his game plan by utilizing Tracy from different spots on the field. And Tracy responded with four tackles and one sack.

Tracy believes he will be able to show more of what he can do with more opportunities like that Niners game.

"I am very confident in my skills and my abilities," he said. "And I think the coaches recognize my versatility and what I can bring to the table."

Giants' Greatest Draft Thefts

ny_g_bavaro_b1_203.jpg

From Bavaro to LT, we ranked the 10 greatest Giants draft steals. Top 10 photo.pngTracy will not be the only defensive end to get a chance to show what he can do. Third-round pick Damontre Moore, 20, collected total of 26.5 sacks in three seasons at Texas A&M, including 12.5 sacks this past season.

Adewale Ojomo turned heads last summer in training camp and will certainly get a shot to do the same again this summer. And Justin Trattouis hoping to show what he can do when healthy.

"There are some flashes," head coach Tom Coughlin said of what he saw from the young pass rushers in OTA last week. "Some good things are happening. He has shown some good ability to get off on the snap ... Tracy, Moore and a couple of these guys."

There’s always a chance the Giants will go out and sign a veteran defensive end, but they may want to first see what they have in Tracy and their other young pass rushers.

"Anytime you have an opportunity, you got to take it," Tracy said of getting to work with the first team last week. "Anytime you have an opportunity and you don’t, somebody else will take it.

"For me personally," Tracy continued. "If you give me an opportunity, I will take it and make the most of it."

He is a talented kid. The part I never understood was that he is a lifelong linebacker. Why the Giants took a good linebacker and parked him on a bench for 3 years made little sense....and then to turn him into a lineman. It's just one thing about the Giants I never really understood. We need linebackers...."hey, I know...let's draft a good one and spend 3 years turning him into a DE where we already have a surplus"......duhhh

I would really like to see some of our young players make the leap and hold the position instead of Kiwanuka moving back to the line yet again. We already know he is a great player that has shown incredible flexibility moving from linebacker to the defensive line from play to play.

While he's done a good job, I think Kiwi is miscast at the joker LB position. He's a DE and I think he's very happy to be getting back there. I look for a big year from Kiwi.

While he's done a good job, I think Kiwi is miscast at the joker LB position. He's a DE and I think he's very happy to be getting back there. I look for a big year from Kiwi.

It will certainly be interesting to see him play as a dedicated DE. I suspect if he doesn't shine bright, he'll find himself back in the joker position.

This is going to be one of the most interesting years for the Giants....IMO. The single biggest fear I have is in the person of Fewell. I think the man is extremely smart and runs some of the most complex defensive schemes in the NFL, but not sure he's able to sift through those complex strategies to the point of seeing the obvious. Sorta like Einstein trying to figure out how to change a tire.