• 122.0 INCH
    Top Performer

Blue Star = Combine Top Performer

• 6'4" Height
  • 34 3/4" Arm Length
  • 250LBS. Weight
  • 10 1/4" Hands

Overview

Ever since Moore appeared in College Station, hes shown great potential. In fact, even when Von Miller was making plays for the Aggies on his way to being selected No. 2 overall by Denver in the 2011 draft, it was easy to see that "DaMonster," as his teammates call him, would help veteran linebacker Sean Porter pick up the slack when the Butkus Award winner moved on to the next level. His experience at both 3-4 rush linebacker and 4-3 defensive end (a move coming after Kevin Sumlin took over for the fired Mike Sherman in 2012) makes his combination of strength and athleticism even more enticing for teams looking to harass opposing quarterbacks.

Moores career got off to a fast start at Texas A&M, where he recorded 6.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks as a reserve pass-rushing outside linebacker. He stepped into the starting role his sophomore season, finishing with 72 tackles, 17.5 for loss, and 8.5 sacks. After moving to defensive end his junior season, Moore exploded onto the national consciousness for an A&M team that took the country by storm, recording 85 tackles, 21 for loss, and 12.5 sacks on his was to second-team All-America honors.

Analysis

Strengths

Tall rush end/linebacker hybrid with nice length and a frame still not maxed out. Has played in a stand-up and hand-down role and threatens quarterbacks from either side of the line. Good snap anticipation and initial quickness to threaten the edge. Flashes the punch and arm extension to bull tackles backwards. Possesses the ability to flatten down the line as a pass rusher. Shows the flexibility to bend the edge as a pass rusher and get skinny and reduce his surface area through creases on the inside. Good second effort even when beaten with initial hand play, can close on quarterbacks and running backs coming to his side and he chases from the back side. Presents good bend for his size in a three-point stance. Length and increased upper-body strength helps him reach ball carriers and pop/drag them down with authority. Excellent at inside stunts and slant. Quickness helps him win the B-gap even when lined up outside the tackle, also helps him get to the sideline to chase down ball carriers. Tight ends have little chance of handling his rip move on the outside. Moves well when standing up, has the change of direction ability to contain on his side, handle himself against tight ends off the line and in short zone coverage as a 3-4 backer. Breaks down and drops his drops to stone backs in the hole or catch them if they try to elude him. Anchors against linemen in the run game, holds the edge adeptly. Excellent upside.

Weaknesses

Hand usage should improve with time, will allow better tackles to get their punch inside at times to knock him back a bit. Can play high, failing to anchor and getting knocked aside or to the ground by stronger linemen, especially when moving laterally. Still learning to use his flexibility to turn the corner consistently, and needs to use his spin move (and keep his balance during it) to prevent getting taken outside the pocket too often. More of a coordinated and fluid athlete than a downright explosive one. Doesnt like to hold his ground and set the edge on runs at him, preferring to run himself upfield or dance around the block. A lot of his production and success came from slanting inside, is he a consistent edge threat? Lacks athletic upside.

NFL Comparison

Robert Ayers

Bottom Line

The pass rusher his teammates call DaMonster looked like a potential star even while he backed up 2010 Butkus Award winner and No. 2 overall pick in the 2011 draft, Von Miller. After one season as the Aggies top rush linebacker (17.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks in 2011), he moved to defensive end for new head coach Kevin Sumlin, developing into one of the most destructive defensive players in the country. He lacks edge athleticism, but Moore wins with a great motor and has flashed hand use to disengage.

Atleast we can pronounce his name.

Sounds like a solid pick up and a replacement for Osi.

Mayock had him pegged getting picked in the first half of the 2nd round and he's been pretty much on the money with players. Hope that means something. Also, virtually every sheet I have from every site has him in the top 30 except two of them that have him at 32 and 38 respectively. Hopefully he matches the hype.

Well...we've gotten some youth on the o-line with one of the best technicians in the game. We got a run stuffer on the d-line and now a DE his teammates call "Da Monster" as a cute take on Damonte.

I have to say...Reese making that speech about taking the best player available and ignoring needs falls flat on it's face. The Giants went straight need in the first 3 rounds. And it's going back to TC's original philosophy when he first came to NY, and that is when he said, "the game is won in the trenches and we're going to build great lines". When he first started, apart from going after Eli...he picked up players like Snee and Cofield. Apart from JPP though, they've kind of deviated from the "trench first" philosophy. But it looks like that philosophy is back.

Mayock had him pegged getting picked in the first half of the 2nd round and he's been pretty much on the money with players. Hope that means something. Also, virtually every sheet I have from every site has him in the top 30 except two of them that have him at 32 and 38 respectively. Hopefully he matches the hype.

Well...we've gotten some youth on the o-line with one of the best technicians in the game. We got a run stuffer on the d-line and now a DE his teammates call "Da Monster" as a cute take on Damonte.

I have to say...Reese making that speech about taking the best player available and ignoring needs falls flat on it's face. The Giants went straight need in the first 3 rounds. And it's going back to TC's original philosophy when he first came to NY, and that is when he said, "the game is won in the trenches and we're going to build great lines". When he first started, apart from going after Eli...he picked up players like Snee and Cofield. Apart from JPP though, they've kind of deviated from the "trench first" philosophy. But it looks like that philosophy is back.

Or maybe these guys were rated high on the Giants draft board.

I'm pretty sure they arnt using the same rating system as Mayock heh.

He worked out poorly, which caused his stock to drop, his tape and production are great though, he will be a situational rusher and then then possibly take over for Tuck, I had has taken him in round two. On tape aline, before the pre-draft b.s, he was rated has a top five pick. What a fucking steal

I hate to rain on the parade, but the player I watched on tape had slow get off, not a quick twitch player. And I really believe that is why he fell so far, despite the great production he had. But you have to respect that production, and for that reason he's a solid pick in the 3rd, despite the value that could have been had at linebacker. I really really hope we get a linebacker or two tomorrow. Ty Powell, that's my guy.

Is it just me, or does he look almost exactly like Kiwi?

I think that's probably a good thing.

I was thinking the same thing. Everything I've read about him says he was first round talent that fell because of character issues (got busted with pot a couple years ago, likes to party too much, etc.). He's only 20 years old and has some growing up to do and between the coaches having "the talk" and good influence surrounding him, he should mature quickly.

But as far as being like Kiwi, you're right because he can play OLB as well as DE and can play either position well. The Giants considered him in the second round because of his freakish skills and were flabbergasted he was still on the board when they were on the clock in the third. TC said there was no way they could pass him up.

I like it. It's about time we had a formidable d-line again.

He needs to really dedicate himself. He's a ST this year and not anything more. He needs at least 10 lbs of muscle added on that frame, he really needs to fill out. Hopefull Tuck can teach him what it takes, but so far, he hasn't done that with JPP, who also hasn't shown the requisite dedication. But Moore doesn't have the advantage of being a freakish athlete with great size. We'll see with Moore. You see potential, but he's not an NFL ready player right now.

He needs to really dedicate himself. He's a ST this year and not anything more. He needs at least 10 lbs of muscle added on that frame, he really needs to fill out. Hopefull Tuck can teach him what it takes, but so far, he hasn't done that with JPP, who also hasn't shown the requisite dedication. But Moore doesn't have the advantage of being a freakish athlete with great size. We'll see with Moore. You see potential, but he's not an NFL ready player right now.

The kid is only 20 years old.. maybe 21. He can easily add 20 lbs if not more.

Btw, GG, who told you that Strahan played at 250? Pretty sure it was around 270, even in 2007.

One Giant said that when Strahan reported to the team Monday, he weighed in at under 250 pounds, slightly below his playing weight of 255 pounds.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8020c63e/article/giants-strahan-takes-200000-hit-in-the-wallet

Cullen noted that when the New York Giants won the Super Bowl after the 2007 season, Michael Strahan played in the 250- to 252-pound range and Justin Tuck weighed about 262

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2010-06-08/story/need-speed-driving-jaguars-defensive-end-derrick-harvey

Man don't you know everyone on here knows more about football then guys like JR and the FO.

Obviously this draft has been the worst thing to happen in the history of forever.

It's like the Giants are going to never win a SB with who we have running the team, fuck we might as well all be Bears fans, the drafted a LB who is going to be a ST star for them.

One note about Strahan's weight......he dropped down in weight because he was getting older. By the time he dropped down, he was basically an expert on the position (diagnosing a play, handwork, footwork, getting leverage, playing angles, etc).

There's a HUGE difference between a veteran like Strahan and some rookie at 250.

Man don't you know everyone on here knows more about football then guys like JR and the FO.

Obviously this draft has been the worst thing to happen in the history of forever.

It's like the Giants are going to never win a SB with who we have running the team, fuck we might as well all be Bears fans, the drafted a LB who is going to be a ST star for them.

The Ravens won the Super Bowl last year. The Giants missed the playoffs. I remember they still had the inside track on the playoffs but were absolutely humiliated last year by the Falcons and Ravens because they couldn't stop them on the ground, in the air, on 3rd and short, or 3rd and 20.

It was like the Green Eggs and Ham version of shitty defense.

Bears defense: #5 in NFL

Giants defense: #31 in NFL

If Nassib sees a snap this season with a game on the line, I'll send you the sixpack of your choice.

Let me know what you'll give me when Khaseem Greene picks off a pass, sacks a QB, or otherwise is a difference maker for the Bears in a game that matters.

Settle down Nancy, we don't all have to b Reese worshipping zombies. We are capable of thinking for ourselves and some of us watch these guys and are students of the game. Being paid by an NFL team isn't a requirement to know a thing or two about prospects. And shit, some of us know more than the guys that actually run a team. Have u seen Casserly on NFL Network? Damn, THAT guy got paid to be a GM! But even he was not as bad as Vinny Cerrato!

Settle down Nancy, we don't all have to b Reese worshipping zombies. We are capable of thinking for ourselves and some of us watch these guys and are students of the game. Being paid by an NFL team isn't a requirement to know a thing or two about prospects. And shit, some of us know more than the guys that actually run a team. Have u seen Casserly on NFL Network? Damn, THAT guy got paid to be a GM! But even he was not as bad as Vinny Cerrato!

God forbid you question Reese.

This rookie is already better than David Carr, apparently. And Eli Manning is 38 years old and missed half of 2012 with various injuries.