SportsWrath

Damontre Moore

BlueInCanada

The draft grade thread was killing me, lol. A bunch of 30 somethings in their skivvies giving a professional football team a grade for their picks one day after they picked them. A humorous thought, to me....

But it's hilarious to me that professionals waste time doing that, too, and that people actually read it.

Lighten up dude, there's NOTHING wrong with football fans discussing football and kicking the shit.. especially in fucking April. I enjoy reading what posters say here more than ANY other site... and I love having Jim, Fish, BB25, and Kyle among others like Gmen etc to just talk football... we ALL have opinions (me and stretching.. yoga being mandatory for pro athletes :rules: is just an example).

So I'm here telling you to light up or else :girlfight:

Even professionals get it wrong a lot... look at the Raiders.

See, that is the point. Why would anyone waste precious time on shit like that when it's worthless and no one gives a shit about it when professionals do it? I've never spent time going over draft grades because it's a waste of time. Don't read them, don't care what Mike Mayock has to say. Hence, humorous that you guys all waste your time doing this. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just lame.

It's a crap shoot for everyone. I think there are two types of fans when it comes to drafts. Fans that enjoy just seeing who we got, and trusting that the organization did it right, and if they didn't, it probably couldn't have done much better without the benefit of hindsight, so their judgement on players and their picks are perpetually deferred to. It's totally fine to take that position, to. These organizations have tremendous resources to evaluate, and have much more film, access to the person behind the player, etc, with which to evaluate players. The level of information they have access to is going to be greater than any of us. And so it makes sense to take that position.

Then you have the other types of fans like myself, Bleedin', bigblue25, gmenroc, pdouble, and others, that enjoy dissecting what we do have access to, analyzing players and thinking about potential fits. While it may seem stupid to some, isn't "fan" short for "fanatic"? It's not like we are all normal in our love of the Giants. These guys are just people that play a kid's game for a lot of our money... and we buy jerseys, dedicate countless hours to watching and following them, and make an all day event out of watching them play at the stadium. In that light, we are all somewhat irrational.

And to that notion, I concede that overly strong opinions on here and knee jerk reactions on picks definitely fall into the irrational category. Irrational behavior always opens one up to mocking. However, in this community, united not only by the love of football and the NY Giants, but by the years of communicating with one another on this forum, there is a certain trust we have in one another to allow ourselves to be irrational with each other, without being called out and subject to humiliation. On other forums, I expect that. BBI and the Giants board is notorious for it, but because of the closer-knit, smaller community we have here, I expect more from us, and at times, many of us are guilty of bad posting behavior anyway.

As I said, there are some that just enjoy the draft more than others, and we have strong opinions, get irrational, and that's fine. Give us a few days and we're back to "normal", or whatever our "normal" is. I don't begrudge you, GG, or Storm, for talking a little shit. Just bear in mind that this is what you guys are going to get from us every year around draft time. It's part of our fan-dom, and we enjoy it. I enjoy watching all the youtube videos evaluating players in the draft. And I will still give out my opinion, and some may like it and some may think it's stupid. I have an unhealthy obsession with football, and I embrace it. I will continue to study football and watch it because I just love the game. There's a lot I admit I don't know, but I like to believe that the guys here that really study the players in the draft add value to this site this time of year talking about and evaluating players, and introducing some players in the later rounds that some aren't as familiar with, as we come across them either in our study or during college football season. If that's not you, that's ok. We are still friends here. And I would ask as friends, give us a little leeway when we get (irrationally) disappointed with the results sometimes. That just comes from the passion we have for the draft, but that passion also results in some great discussion.

Thanks.

I'd rather see a thread targeting who people think will be cut, now that free agency and the draft is out of the way, and UDFA is ramping up.

Well I think there will be a lot of roster maneuvering, and we have another free agency period in June to look forward to, after cuts. I think the team will be acquiring another linebacker, I don't see how we can go into the season with what we currently have. One guy that will be cut at some point early in the process will be Curtis Painter.

It's a crap shoot for everyone. I think there are two types of fans when it comes to drafts. Fans that enjoy just seeing who we got, and trusting that the organization did it right, and if they didn't, it probably couldn't have done much better without the benefit of hindsight, so their judgement on players and their picks are perpetually deferred to. It's totally fine to take that position, to. These organizations have tremendous resources to evaluate, and have much more film, access to the person behind the player, etc, with which to evaluate players. The level of information they have access to is going to be greater than any of us. And so it makes sense to take that position.

Then you have the other types of fans like myself, Bleedin', bigblue25, gmenroc, pdouble, and others, that enjoy dissecting what we do have access to, analyzing players and thinking about potential fits. While it may seem stupid to some, isn't "fan" short for "fanatic"? It's not like we are all normal in our love of the Giants. These guys are just people that play a kid's game for a lot of our money... and we buy jerseys, dedicate countless hours to watching and following them, and make an all day event out of watching them play at the stadium. In that light, we are all somewhat irrational.

And to that notion, I concede that overly strong opinions on here and knee jerk reactions on picks definitely fall into the irrational category. Irrational behavior always opens one up to mocking. However, in this community, united not only by the love of football and the NY Giants, but by the years of communicating with one another on this forum, there is a certain trust we have in one another to allow ourselves to be irrational with each other, without being called out and subject to humiliation. On other forums, I expect that. BBI and the Giants board is notorious for it, but because of the closer-knit, smaller community we have here, I expect more from us, and at times, many of us are guilty of bad posting behavior anyway.

As I said, there are some that just enjoy the draft more than others, and we have strong opinions, get irrational, and that's fine. Give us a few days and we're back to "normal", or whatever our "normal" is. I don't begrudge you, GG, or Storm, for talking a little shit. Just bear in mind that this is what you guys are going to get from us every year around draft time. It's part of our fan-dom, and we enjoy it. I enjoy watching all the youtube videos evaluating players in the draft. And I will still give out my opinion, and some may like it and some may think it's stupid. I have an unhealthy obsession with football, and I embrace it. I will continue to study football and watch it because I just love the game. There's a lot I admit I don't know, but I like to believe that the guys here that really study the players in the draft add value to this site this time of year talking about and evaluating players, and introducing some players in the later rounds that some aren't as familiar with, as we come across them either in our study or during college football season. If that's not you, that's ok. We are still friends here. And I would ask as friends, give us a little leeway when we get (irrationally) disappointed with the results sometimes. That just comes from the passion we have for the draft, but that passion also results in some great discussion.

Thanks.

Perfectly said.

Personally, I think every year that the draft won't stir up something in me that makes me become obsessed with the team for a week or so. Then every year, I go nuts with excitement. It's like when I was a kid and trying to sleep on Christmas Eve or when I was a teen the day before deer season with visions of nailing a giant 14 point trophy buck in the morning (never got a trophy though, just a few spike horns and crotch horns - got a six point once, no big deal). I can't think of one other yearly event in my life that makes me feel like a kid again. As a kid, I didn't have squat for toys and any present under the tree on Christmas morning would get me so excited I couldn't hold still. 55 years later, waiting for draft day and the Giants on the clock gives me that same rush...and I wonder what exciting new toy we're going to get to add to the team. It takes me a couple of weeks just to settle down. I have no idea what makes me do that. I'm a die hard Yankee fan and Knicks fan and I have no idea when the draft takes place nor do I even care. It's a phenomenon of mine for the Giants only. Go figure.

Regardless...a couple of weeks from now and I slide back into anonymity and occasionally keep up with training camp and new transactions. My big hope is that Cruz puts his signature on a contract and get that crap behind us.

Well I think there will be a lot of roster maneuvering, and we have another free agency period in June to look forward to, after cuts. I think the team will be acquiring another linebacker, I don't see how we can go into the season with what we currently have. One guy that will be cut at some point early in the process will be Curtis Painter.

I think you'll see Mike Patterson cut, too. Him or Shaun Rogers

See, that is the point. Why would anyone waste precious time on shit like that when it's worthless and no one gives a shit about it when professionals do it? I've never spent time going over draft grades because it's a waste of time. Don't read them, don't care what Mike Mayock has to say. Hence, humorous that you guys all waste your time doing this. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just lame.

Some of us don't see it as a waste of time... I find it entertaining... Personally and I think a few other posters here are hungry for football talk... and it's spring time for god's sake.

Some of us don't see it as a waste of time... I find it entertaining... Personally and I think a few other posters here are hungry for football talk... and it's spring time for god's sake.

Let's talk about planting gardens then!

Good idea... let's mark the end zone with flowers.

With Hoffman's body as fertilizer, I bet that would be an awesome garden. All the gay players in the NFL can tiptoe through the tulips into the end zone.

Getting back to the topic...I found a nice writeup on Moore from a newspaper in Texas

'Underdog' Moore slides to Giants, ready to prove himself in camp

One round came and went.

Two rounds came and went.

It was a painstaking process for Damontre Moore, who was projected in January to be a top-10 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, as he watched 32 teams look at his name on the board and opt to go in a different direction.

Finally, after a night-and-a-half of waiting to hear the destination of his future home, the New York Giants rang Moore's cell phone and selected him with the 17th pick in the third round.

Moore, who watched the draft with family and friends at Von Miller Sr.'s house in DeSoto, said seeing 80 names called ahead of his made for a treacherous lesson in patience.

"It was one of the most difficult things in my life," he told Aggie Nation Tuesday. "I was hoping to slip in the first round and then the whole second round goes, and I was like, 'Is this ever going to happen?'

"But, better late than never."

Moore said he was surprised the Giants called because he hadn't heard from the team since talking with them at the NFL Combine. At the Combine, Moore ran a 4.95-second 40-yard dash and did only 12 repetitions in the bench press -- key contributors to his plummet from surefire first-rounder to third-round selection.

Always an underdog

However, Moore said that he's stayed confident in both himself and his ability on the football field throughout the past few months.

"If anything, I just used it as more motivation," he said. "Throughout my career, I've been the underdog. I like being the underdog."

Moore came to A&M as an unknown three-star prospect that didn't even start on his Rowlett High School team. However, in his three seasons in Aggieland, he recorded 26.5 sacks, showing off the potential to be an elite pass rusher. During an All-America junior campaign, Moore led the Aggies with 85 tackles -- becoming the first defensive lineman since Sam Adams in 1993 to lead the team.

Prior to the Aggies' Cotton Bowl victory over Oklahoma, Moore made the decision to forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft. A month later, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. projected Moore as the No. 2 pick -- in the first round.

Things, though, didn't work out as planned. Regardless, Moore said he would make the same decision today as he did in January.

"Everything happens for a reason," he said. "I made the decision that anything can happen on any given Sunday. There were a lot of things that went into it. I gave myself the best case and worst-case scenario, so I don't really regret anything."

In a great situation

All things considered, Moore landed in a great spot in New York. As a third-round pick, the immediate expectations are tempered. And the Giants have a long lineage of premier pass rushers: Lawrence Taylor; Michael Strahan; Justin Tuck; Osi Umenyiora; Jason Pierre-Paul; and Mathias Kiwanuka.

As former Giants' GM Ernie Accorsi told NFL.com, you "draft pass rushers until the cows come home."

Moore said he's proud to go to an organization that puts an onus on getting to the quarterback.

"They've been producing great D-ends for a while," he said. "They have a successful history and I'm ready to go in and learn from the best in the game."

Giants' head coach Tom Coughlin told after the draft that he believed Moore had the tools to be a very productive pass rusher.

"That is why we brought him in here," he said.

Though draft week proved to be difficult for Moore, he said he'd definitely go into camp on May 9 with a chip on his shoulder. And he said the Giants, and their fans, won't be disappointed in the player they felt was worthy of a third-round pick.

"They're getting a hard working guy that's going in there closed mouth, open-minded and eager to work," he said. "A guy that plays with a lot of tenacity, is really competitive and, overall, they're getting a really good player."