SportsWrath

KP an Eagle

Mr. P

To summarize...KP is a good player when healthy, but his health has definite question marks. Giants (and Eagles) took those question marks into account when offering deals. KP took the shorter deal, in hopes of a top notch season, where he can cash in much bigger next offseason.

I really don't fault any of the three parties involved here.

Exactly.

Osi, can you post which teams we played with KP, and which ones we played without him? I'm just curious about the correlation v causation.

I wanted to point that out but that's only one factor of many... sometimes it has to do with how our O was playing that day too... among many other reasons... I liked KP but if he's not on the field, what's the point?

I wanted to point that out but that's only one factor of many... sometimes it has to do with how our O was playing that day too... among many other reasons... I liked KP but if he's not on the field, what's the point?

Well, I'm pretty sure one was the Eagles game we gave away....

KP played in the following games this year: vs. Dallas, vs. Tampa Bay, @ Carolina, @ Philly (injured), vs. Green Bay, @ Washington (re-injured), vs. Philly

Which means he missed the following: vs. Cleveland, @ San Francisco, vs. Washington, @ Dallas, vs. Pittsburgh, @ Cincy, vs. New Orleans, @ Atlanta, @ Baltimore

He missed the three games where he was needed the most: Cincy, Atlanta, and Baltimore. He was sorely missed in those games, as the Giants were beaten deep on numerous occasions in each.

I don't understand why the details of the contract haven't been released yet. He's already been officially introuduced by the Eagles and had an interview. I just want to see what salary the Giants wouldn't risk on him. I asked one of the Giants beat writers who thinks that he took the veteran's minimum. If that's true, I am going to be PISSED OFF. Why would the Giants trade KP for Mundy if both contracts are the same? I don't want to overreact now because the details aren't out yet, but if that's true, I got some problems with how we are doing business.

KP played in the following games this year: vs. Dallas, vs. Tampa Bay, @ Carolina, @ Philly (injured), vs. Green Bay, @ Washington (re-injured), vs. Philly

Which means he missed the following: vs. Cleveland, @ San Francisco, vs. Washington, @ Dallas, vs. Pittsburgh, @ Cincy, vs. New Orleans, @ Atlanta, @ Baltimore

He missed the three games where he was needed the most: Cincy, Atlanta, and Baltimore. He was sorely missed in those games, as the Giants were beaten deep on numerous occasions in each.

I don't understand why the details of the contract haven't been released yet. He's already been officially introuduced by the Eagles and had an interview. I just want to see what salary the Giants wouldn't risk on him. I asked one of the Giants beat writers who thinks that he took the veteran's minimum. If that's true, I am going to be PISSED OFF. Why would the Giants trade KP for Mundy if both contracts are the same? I don't want to overreact now because the details aren't out yet, but if that's true, I got some problems with how we are doing business.

It's possible KP just wanted to leave.

Maybe the team doctors didn't approve? See also: Smith, Steve.

This.

What i've read about his knee condition isn't encouraging.

But Osi is absolutely right about how good Phillips has been. He doesn't get turnovers because nobody bothers throwing anywhere near him.

It's possible KP just wanted to leave.

This is what I'm starting to think too. He never sounded like he wanted to be back when he was asked during the year. I think it's because the Giants wouldn't let him play in the box as much as he liked. He was always single-deep safety which doesn't give him many opportunities to make big plays. That isn't going to get him paid. He's trying to prove-it on the Eagles for a year for a big pay day.

This is what I'm starting to think too. He never sounded like he wanted to be back when he was asked during the year. I think it's because the Giants wouldn't let him play in the box as much as he liked. He was always single-deep safety which doesn't give him many opportunities to make big plays. That isn't going to get him paid. He's trying to prove-it on the Eagles for a year for a big pay day.

Its a shame he never got more recognition, but I'm sure people watching the all-22 for a living know whats up. Thats why I'm thinking the $$ is more about medical issues than quality of play.

Its a shame he never got more recognition, but I'm sure people watching the all-22 for a living know whats up. Thats why I'm thinking the $$ is more about medical issues than quality of play.

Yeah I mean as fans we only get to see highlights and re-watch the games, these guys we try to criticise in the FO do this for a living and watch every single angle of every single game, I imagine thousands of times during the off season.

Eventhough I'm sure that KP leaving came down to the almighty dollar and maybe wanting to leave, I'm sure the Giants FO did their own homework and figured we could lose KP and still win games.

This.

What i've read about his knee condition isn't encouraging.

But Osi is absolutely right about how good Phillips has been. He doesn't get turnovers because nobody bothers throwing anywhere near him.

Yeah, can't score touchdowns throwing it at the guy in sweats and a hoodie standing on the sidelines. :freaked:

Lol don't take the bait CD. It's a lost cause.

Your point stands because its true.

We all know Kp missed time last year Storm. There's a history of play from KP prior to last season where he was Injured because his foot got stuck in the turf and his good knee got sprained.

Anyone who says this loss isn't atleast somewhat concerning simply is in LaLa land.

I'm personally not scared that we lost him. Options like Hill or Kenny Vaccuro are there for the taking.

But KP is a proven good S and young. Still has 2-4 years before that knee will flare up again also. Rolle and Brown get torched on the deep pass.

He left for Philly because its an aggressive scheme and it can earn him more money next year when the Safety market is crap. He's taking a risk but he's confident in his decision obviously.

He's a traitor, but it's a business.

Turnovers prevent defenses from scoring and put the ball in the hands of your offense, typically in better field position than had they returned a punt or allowed the other team to score and kickoff. I didn't think I had to reiterate what a turnover means to a football team for you, a superstar poster. Christ.

But yeah, individual stats like sacks, turnovers, shit, even tackles, are meaningless when evaluating a player. Yet, you look at Phillips, who missed nearly a season and a half in what, 4 years....don't forget to add that we replaced him with a safety who plays with way more fire, yet may be a little rawer than Phillips.....and for some reason still believe he's played such an integral role in this team's success? You're hung up on subjective, coincidental stats, Osi.

Yeah to's are great, but when you get burnt for threes td's, equal to one int. I'll take the guy who is doesn't give up the deep ball vs. The turnover machine

Anyone who says this loss isn't atleast somewhat concerning simply is in LaLa land.

I'm personally not scared that we lost him. Options like Hill or Kenny Vaccuro are there for the taking.

But KP is a proven good S and young. Still has 2-4 years before that knee will flare up again also. Rolle and Brown get torched on the deep pass.

He left for Philly because its an aggressive scheme and it can earn him more money next year when the Safety market is crap. He's taking a risk but he's confident in his decision obviously.

He's a traitor, but it's a business.

Not that high on Vaccaro, I like Elam better. I really like Jonathan Cyprien

Yeah to's are great, but when you get burnt for threes td's, equal to one int. I'll take the guy who is doesn't give up the deep ball vs. The turnover machine

Yet it was Corey Webster and Antrel Rolle getting beat all season. Not the other side.

Free agency can make unexpected bedfellows.

Longtime Green Bay Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings just signed with the Minnesota Vikings. Indianapolis Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri won three Super Bowls with the New England Patriots. Marcus Allen went from the Oakland Raiders to the Kansas City Chiefs. The list goes on.

Former New York Giants safety Kenny Phillips, who signed with the Philadelphia Eagles last week, reportedly said he has to adjust to sleeping with the enemy.

"I just knew I didn't like the Eagles," Phillips said at introductory press conference Friday, Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia reported. "You're playing against them for so long, that's what you were taught as a Giant. Just like the Eagles were taught, you don't like the Giants. That's just how it goes.

"It's weird. It's definitely weird. But at this point I can't say I hate the Giants. When I was with the Giants I kind of disliked the Eagles. But I can't just say right now I hate the Giants. I guess I'll have to learn to hate them."

The Giants made Phillips a first-round draft pick in 2009, and they won a Super Bowl in 2011. He was a playmaker when healthy, but recurring knee problems made him expendable. The Eagles were cautious themselves with a one-year deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151426/article/former-ny-giant-kenny-phillips-didnt-like-the-eagles

every secondary gets burnt in today's NFL. that's why you build your defense to rush the passer and create turnovers on the backend if he gets the ball out

I'd be fine with a secondary that keeps plays in front of them and forces turnovers....at times they did that last season....other times they were a major reason we got beat :(