SportsWrath

KP an Eagle

Mr. P

I think Will Hill has the talent to fill the void a little bit an make Roll Cut friendly.

Brown isn't the long term answer.

Giants may look at Kenny Vacuro at 19 now

I actually like both Hill and Brown. Both have tons of potential and can be coached into being starters in the secondary. They just aren't ready right now. Hill has tons of talent, but he's no KP when it comes to coverage and reliable tackling. Brown doesn't have the talent like Hill, but he really showed off some fantastic ball skills last year.

I highly doubt Giants go safety in the 1st with Rolle/Brown/Hill/T2/Mundy already on the roster. It is honestly a luxury when compared to positions like LG, RT, TE, LB, etc. Doesn't mean the Giants won't draft a luxury position, because I have them going DE in the first round.

T2 can see time at S but we can't rely on him.

I love T2, and he played pretty well at safety in limited snaps in 2010, but he can't be relied on at this point, like you said. Anything he gives this team will be more than they expected. Hoping for the best with him though, seems like a humble guy and I feel terrible about how his career has sputtered.

Figured I'd throw some YouTube links in here that pertain to the guys mentioned in the thread. These guys put up some great Giants videos, and maybe it will change some perceptions on some of these safeties.

First of all, farewell KP. Here's a video of his 2012 highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzsp2n3LAUU ;

and here is some career highlights, in case you guys forgot how good he was for us - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDrbYXhy05Q

And now we got Stevie Brown. Here's some 2012 highlights from his breakout season with the Giants - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcaBbTpTL_k

Lastly, we got a compilation of defensive snaps that Will Hill played last year. Honestly, he played a lot more defense than I remember. He didn't make any spectacular plays, but he wasn't a liability either. But I am warning you, this video is 13 minutes long. Watch it if you got some extra time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Tf2zvp0X8

Now, it's been awhile since I've posted here, so I hope you guys don't have some vendetta against posting YouTube videos or anything.

Notice I didn't post any Antrel Rolle clips... it's because he has none! He has had very few impact plays since joining the Giants on that monstrous contract that pays him like he is Eric Weddle or Dashon Goldson.

When I saw this, it made me absolutely sick to my stomach. It was like a dagger piercing through the heart. KP was the most underrated player on this defense, and the most important outside of the D-Line. He was as reliable as it gets, which is what you look for in a safety. Never blew coverages that allowed big plays and was a sure tackler. I am definitely going to miss him, although not as much because he went to the Eagles. The fact that he went to the Eagles made me dislike him much more than I did before, but I'd still love for him to come back next year after that contract is over. The Giants should have been smart and got rid of Rolle and his ludicrous contract and use some of that money to keep KP.

And to those of you who are questioning him because of injuries, you are wrong. Yeah, he missed 14 games in 2009 when he got microfracture surgery. And yeah, he missed 7 games last year with a sprained MCL in the OTHER knee. So all of these concerns over his knees are overblown. The guy played at least 15 games in 2008, 2010, and 2011. He's had one major injury and another freak injury last year where his knee got bent backwards. His mistake was trying to return when he wasn't 100%.

The guy unquestionably was the best defender in the secondary for this team in 2010 and 2011. Losing him, especially on a one-year deal to Philly, is just pouring salt in the wound. I have to wait to hear the financial numbers, but I highly doubt he got more than $4m on that one-year deal. Dumb, dumb mistake by the Giants. The Giants defense gave up far too many big plays with Rolle and Stevie deep, and that is just going to continue this year. And I'll tell you one thing, Ryan Mundy sure as hell isn't going to soften this blow whatsoever.

Look, I'm not saying the dude sucks.. he was good while he was on the field... however, the Giants couldn't resign him... he paid attention to what teams like Jacksonville, Eagles, and Oakland was giving out.. and he made up his mind to go after the big bucks long before the season was even over. He took the big bucks on a team in a rebuilding phase over staying with the team that drafted him... a business move on his part.. and us not paying a ton for a guy who seems to be more on the bench than in the game is also a business decision. And to fucking go to the Eagles... congrats...

To your point, I think Rolle should have been cut but I'm not sure how much the Giants would save... from what I recall his contract didn't give the Giants that option.. which I blame Reese for that one....

Rolle plays out of position, doesn't miss any games and is a tough dude. Gimme a break.

Forgive me but I don't buy this "out of position argument"... safety and DB are pretty interchangeable... Having an OL playing QB is out of position... Safety and CB isn't... just my $0.02

However to your point, at least the guy is on the field earning his paycheck.

He signed for one year because the Eagles are taking a flyer on him due to injuries, I don't get how you guys are that upset at this.

Actually he went there because the eagles system will allow him to be aggressive and make plays.

Fewell just had him neutralize the deep ball and underutilized him while banging Rolle into the ground.

For the record I've never said such a thing. Not saying your targeting me. Just saying.

haha i don't remember who did but i remember it was quite a few people and i know you weren't one of them

Like Nas, this gets a big "MEH" from me. Kenny Phillips was never the game-breaking safety we brought him in here to be. The knee injuries and lack of speed do not help him out any in the "expendable" department. Because that's what he is, sorry to say....he was FAR from our best defensive player outside of the defensive line, like Kyle says. Shit, in 2011, that was probably Chase Blackburn for the half the season he was a Giant, anyway. And I would say a guy like Linval Joseph or even Prince Amukamara were members of our best defensive players this past season.

And Osi, you can pull tons of stats from wherever you like, the fact of the matter is Stevie Brown forced more turnovers in like 12 games than Kenny Phillips, touted as a ball-hawk, game-breaking safety, has his WHOLE career.

Yea cuz individual stats mean more then team stats.

Turnovers prevent defenses from scoring and put the ball in the hands of your offense, typically in better field position than had they returned a punt or allowed the other team to score and kickoff. I didn't think I had to reiterate what a turnover means to a football team for you, a superstar poster. Christ.

But yeah, individual stats like sacks, turnovers, shit, even tackles, are meaningless when evaluating a player. Yet, you look at Phillips, who missed nearly a season and a half in what, 4 years....don't forget to add that we replaced him with a safety who plays with way more fire, yet may be a little rawer than Phillips.....and for some reason still believe he's played such an integral role in this team's success? You're hung up on subjective, coincidental stats, Osi.

No, it's like saying Tom Brady is better than Joe Flacco because he throws more touchdown passes. Turnovers are to a defense what touchdowns are to an offense. I don't see where Stevie Brown is a liability in pass coverage when he seems to catch them more often than not....a liability would be a player that we pay a lot of money to who is not as good as his backup, nor is he on the field enough to justify paying his salary.

To summarize...KP is a good player when healthy, but his health has definite question marks. Giants (and Eagles) took those question marks into account when offering deals. KP took the shorter deal, in hopes of a top notch season, where he can cash in much bigger next offseason.

I really don't fault any of the three parties involved here.

It's like saying Osi is better then Tuck because he gets more sacks and FFs

They Tuck has been playing, I wouldn't put either one of them in high regard... Tuck is another case where we're waiting for him to a level he ONCE showed... almost like Shockey's rookie year... I think the train has left the station...