SportsWrath

Coaching Changes wanted?

Lughead

Gilbride will probably be here as long as Tom Coughlin is. Unfortunately, the argument for his effectiveness will be his offense's pretty numbers, like it is every year. Everyone will continue to miss the intangibles of a good playcaller....like situational instances like 3rd and 1 inside the 20 and you're running a draw play for the third play in a row instead of something logical.

Exactly...the essential result of the run and shoot.

see thats the other side too if Gilbride goes what is out there? Is hopefully keeping Gilbride going to be the lesser of two evils?

I think that's a good point.

Really when it comes to OC they rarely hit the market, most either stay with a team or are giving HC jobs around the league or at the college level. When it comes to new OC talent they are mostly hired from withing the team's organization or brought over from the previous coaches regime.

I think that's a good point.

Really when it comes to OC they rarely hit the market, most either stay with a team or are giving HC jobs around the league or at the college level. When it comes to new OC talent they are mostly hired from withing the team's organization or brought over from the previous coaches regime.

Wasn't Gilbride somehow actually interviewed by a couple teams for a HC job last year?

The Raiders were asking about him a couple of years back I believe.

Wasn't Gilbride somehow actually interviewed by a couple teams for a HC job last year?

The Raiders were asking about him a few of years back. I want to say after '09. I think UCONN was interested too.

I know there is dissatisfaction with our coaching staff. but a lot can be said for continuity as well. It is also worth remembering that every change is not necessarily an upgrade.

I think Fewell will land finally land one of the Head Coaching jobs this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Gilbride landed in the mix as well (possibly with a college team).

We are going to see a lot of turnover this year with teams like Detroit, Buffalo, San Diego, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Arizona, New York Jets and Philadelphia all but certain to fire their coaches and teams like Dallas, Carolina, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Oakland and Chicago possibilities for coaching changes

I guess the real question is: if Fewell or Gilbride were to depart, who do you think the viable options are for offensive and defensive coordinators under Coughlin (and why)?

I know there is dissatisfaction with our coaching staff. but a lot can be said for continuity as well. It is also worth remembering that every change is not necessarily an upgrade.

I think Fewell will land finally land one of the Head Coaching jobs this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Gilbride landed in the mix as well (possibly with a college team).

We are going to see a lot of turnover this year with teams like Detroit, Buffalo, San Diego, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Arizona, New York Jets and Philadelphia all but certain to fire their coaches and teams like Dallas, Carolina, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Oakland and Chicago possibilities for coaching changes

I guess the real question is: if Fewell or Gilbride were to depart, who do you think the viable options are for offensive and defensive coordinators under Coughlin (and why)?

I know that most ex-players do not make good coaches but If Fewell miraculously does get a HC job I would like to see Banks get a shot at DC for the Giants.

Fewell was a HC at Buffalo wasnt he.......how did that work out

He has about as much chance of a HC job as Sanchez does of ever being an NFL starting QB again.........both have a timid streak that betrays them

Every once and a while Fewell gets aggressive and the results are spectacular with our personnel but mostly he is content to rush 4

Fewell was a HC at Buffalo wasnt he.......how did that work out

He has about as much chance of a HC job as Sanchez does of ever being an NFL starting QB again.........both have a timid streak that betrays them

Every once and a while Fewell gets aggressive and the results are spectacular with our personnel but mostly he is content to rush 4

He was a lame duck coach, who had to step in mid season and got the obligatory interview for the job, that was fairly obvious he wasn't getting that job. His HC pedigree is based on everything around that.

Romeo Crennel's second go around is going to be damaging to a lot of defensive coordinators going forward including Fewell

He was a lame duck coach, who had to step in mid season and got the obligatory interview for the job, that was fairly obvious he wasn't getting that job. His HC pedigree is based on everything around that.

Romeo Crennel's second go around is going to be damaging to a lot of defensive coordinators going forward including Fewell

Yeah the Tampa 2 has become ancient

I know that most ex-players do not make good coaches but If Fewell miraculously does get a HC job I would like to see Banks get a shot at DC for the Giants.

I don't know, I'd like to maybe see him coach in any capacity first before just giving him the DC job.

If anything keep promoting Jessie Armstead and possibly down the road he could earn the job, or if you're hellbent on giving a former giants linebacker the job give it to Pepper Johnson who has actually been coaching for the last 12 years in New England.

Is Jauron available for DC? Norv would make a good OC. Even get in Nick Saban if possible as OC - the game is evolved with college rookie QBs doing extremely well. It might be necessary to have a vision change.

Saban's a defensive guy, he is not gonna leave a team that is in it's third national championship in four years, for a coordinators jobs. Word is, if he wins the NC again, he might go to Cleveland, where he was DC before. This is a year old, but I found it interesting.

[quote HENDERSON, Nev. — Over the past 25 years, 14 men have led New York-area professional teams to a championship game or series. Twelve are still with their team or were hired to comparable head coach or manager positions with other franchises. Only two were not.

Multimedia

jp-fassel-articleInline.jpg

Barton Silverman/The New York Times

Jim Fassel in 2003, his final season with the Giants. His record as an N.F.L. coach is 58-53-1.

One of the two, Pat Burns, led the Devils to the 2003 Stanley Cup title, but he stepped down in 2005 because of cancer and died last year.

The other, Jim Fassel, is here, living in a well-appointed Spanish-style house about 20 miles from the Las Vegas Strip and many more from the city where he nearly reached the pinnacle of N.F.L. success.

“Does it bother me that I’m not on the sideline of the N.F.L.?” Fassel said during a recent interview at his home. “Yeah. Sure it does. But it’s not going to control my life. Otherwise, I’m a miserable person.”

Fassel has a career record of 58-53-1 as an N.F.L. head coach. He has been described, at times, as an “offensive genius” and a “coach who gets results.” In the 2000 season, he took the Giants to the Super Bowl, a run that will be forever remembered for Fassel’s November declaration that he was “shoving my chips to the center of the table” and guaranteeing his 7-4 team would make the playoffs.

Three seasons later, when Fassel and the Giants parted ways, there seemed to be little doubt he would resurface quickly. Fassel had thrived in the league’s biggest market. He was media friendly, charismatic and, most important, a proven winner. The Giants’ president, John Mara, said at the time: “I think without question he’ll be a head coach again. Probably next year.”

But eight years later, that remains Fassel’s last N.F.L. head coaching job. Coaches like Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer have received second and third — and, in the case of Schottenheimer, even fourth — chances despite never reaching the Super Bowl, while more successful Fassel contemporaries like Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden are out of the league but constantly linked to openings. It has been a long time since Fassel has been a serious candidate.

Instead he has bounced around, working as an N.F.L. assistant, on the radio and, currently, as the president, general manager and head coach of the Las Vegas Locomotives, one of four teams in the struggling United Football League.

Fassel has coached the Locomotives to two championships in three years. And he said he still believed he would succeed in the N.F.L.

He is motivated, he said. He is prepared. But he may no longer be wanted.

Successes and Struggles

When the Giants hired Fassel in 1997, they did so because he was, Mara said recently, “a guy we thought could jump-start us — and he did.”

Fassel was best known for his handling of quarterbacks and offenses, including a two-year stint as the Giants’ quarterbacks coach under Ray Handley.

“He was a huge part of my career,” said Kent Graham, who was with the Giants when Fassel was both an assistant and the head coach. “He was incredibly organized and clear with his players. He didn’t make things more complicated than they had to be.”

The Giants went 10-5-1 in Fassel’s first season and he was named the N.F.L.’s coach of the year. In 1998, the Giants struggled but still pulled off a notable upset when they beat John Elway and the 13-0 Denver Broncos in December. Two seasons later, the Giants were in the Super Bowl, where they lost to Baltimore, 34-7.

By 2003, however, Fassel was on his way out after a pair of losing seasons and one playoff meltdown — squandering a 24-point third-quarter lead against San Francisco in 2002. With his team 4-10, he announced on Dec. 17 that he would resign after the season, knowing he almost surely would have been fired anyway. To most observers, it was a classy move by Fassel and one that would usher in a new beginning, not an end.

Fassel, for his part, acknowledges that he is partly responsible for his seeming exile. He interviewed for three head coaching jobs immediately after leaving the Giants — with the Washington Redskins, the Arizona Cardinals and the Buffalo Bills.

With the Redskins, Fassel was seen as the favorite until Joe Gibbs, the renowned Washington coach, opted to come out of retirement.

With the Cardinals and the Bills, however, Fassel said he was “terrible” in the interviews. He offered an explanation — he had the flu and had been across the country because his son was playing in a college bowl game — but conceded his research for each meeting was careless.

“I just wasn’t prepared,” he said. “I was just shot. It taught me a lesson. I had three interviews within a week after the season ended. I did a bad job in Arizona, I know that, and Buffalo is kind of a blur because I was just fried.”

There were also intimations that some Giants executives did not provide speak highly of Fassel when asked by other teams.

When asked, Fassel would not directly address that issue, though he had words of praise for the Mara family and other team executives. In discussing Ernie Accorsi, the general manager from 1998 to 2007, however, Fassel turned curt.

“We worked fine together — that’s it,” Fassel said. Accorsi, in an interview, dismissed the notion that he lobbied against Fassel. “I never received one phone call regarding Jim’s candidacy anywhere,” he said. He also said that “in all fairness, I never initiated one either.”

Accorsi said that was because he was sensitive to his credibility with other executives around the league. He did not hire Fassel; the previous general manager, George Young, did. And Accorsi, who worked under Young before replacing him, had recommended that Young hire Nick Saban, then the coach at Michigan State.

“George was impressed with Saban; we went and interviewed him,” Accorsi said. “I didn’t know Jim. I never had a problem with him. Was he my choice? No. Would he have been my choice? Probably not. But I thought we cooperated.”

Accorsi added, “I wouldn’t want him to be deprived of a job.”

In interviews, some former players wondered if concerns about Fassel’s personal life had been an issue. Particularly in 2003, players said, there was talk in the locker room about problems in Fassel’s marriage. Some players said they saw a change in Fassel’s focus.

The Fassels had reconnected earlier that year with a son they gave up for adoption, but they went through marriage counseling “for several years,” according to Fassel’s ex-wife, Kitty. The couple divorced in 2006.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

He was 3-4. Wasn't that good. Not good enough that they eventually canned him.

Fewell has always been a Tampa 2 guy, he worked under Lovie Smith. The guy following Fewell, turned them into 3-4 and they still run it now under Wannsedt, who is not a 3-4 guy, well they kinda run both 34 and 43

He was 3-4. Wasn't that good. Not good enough that they eventually canned him.

Because new head coaches typically keep the staff of the old head coach.

That team was better under Fewell, but I didn't intend to hint that they were any good as a unit, to begin with.

Saban's a defensive guy, he is not gonna leave a team that is in it's third national championship in four years, for a coordinators jobs. Word is, if he wins the NC again, he might go to Cleveland, where he was DC before. This is a year old, but I found it interesting.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

Analysis...it seems that Acorsi shit canned this guys career for his own reasons. I have been in a million jobs ...lol...when something like this happens its almost always because of bad press from the previous job. And the article is right...Fassel is definitely better than Norv Turner and he has at least won some playoff games as opposed to Schottenheimer... too bad he had such a love affair with Brian Billick who I also think was instrumental in ruining the guys chances...It would have been better off if he stuck to analysis and would at least be in the public eye. Sometimes that results in a rehabilitation. Also he may have been too proud to go the college route and play off of that to return to the NFL ranks. Too bad for him... a series of bad personal/professional choices have caught up with him.

Fewell has always been a Tampa 2 guy, he worked under Lovie Smith. The guy following Fewell, turned them into 3-4 and they still run it now under Wannsedt, who is not a 3-4 guy, well they kinda run both 34 and 43

They primarily run 4-3 now.