SportsWrath

Gilbride calls out Justin Smith

Treehugger

Giants: Justin Smith 'gets away with murder'

• By Kareem Copeland
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:36 a.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:45 a.m.

New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride pulled a veteran move before the trip to San Francisco this weekend. He praised the 49ers defenders, then gave the officials something to look for.

Gilbride implied that defensive end Justin Smith has a tendency to hold.

"Smith is a beast on the inside," Gilbride told reporters, SFGate.com wrote. "He's strong, he does as good a job of grabbing a hold of offensive linemen and allowing those twists to take place.

"He never gets called for it, so he gets away with murder."

OK, that was a little stronger than "imply."

Gilbride just wants to give officials something to keep in mind - even if that stuff happens weekly on both sides of the ball. Flags are rarely thrown as long as the hands are kept inside the shoulder pads without arms blatantly outstretched. Gilbride's offensive linemen will employ the same tactic Sunday.

Nothing wrong with a little pregame gamesmanship. And Gilbride might have just bought his team a call or two.

Jim Harbaugh fires back at Kevin Gilbride's comments

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League editor
  • Published: Oct. 12, 2012 at 04:31 p.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 12, 2012 at 06:46 p.m.

San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh didn't pass on a chance to fire up his troops before Sunday's game against the New York Giants.

Harbaugh apparently caught wind of Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride's comments that 49ers defensive end Justin Smith "gets away with murder" when it comes to "grabbing a hold of offensive linemen and allowing those twists to take place."

So Harbaugh went to the unusual lengths of releasing a statement before his team's Friday practice.

"Kevin Gilbride's outrageous, irrational statement regarding Justin Smith's play is, first, an absurd analogy," Harbaugh said. "Second, it is an incendiary comment targeting one of the truly exemplary players in this league. It's obvious that the Giants coaching staff's sole purpose is to use their high visibility to both criticize and influence officiating."

Awesome.

Harbaugh was later asked by reporters to elaborate on his comments to Gilbride, but he repeatedly said "I've moved on."

Gilbride actually was very complimentary about Smith overall, but Harbaugh saw an opening and ran with it. For a coach who doesn't love the media, Harbaugh sure gives out a lot of fantastic material.

Through last week game #6 Justin Smith has ZERO sacks, 18 tackles and ZERO force fumbles

Give me a Break......he's a white Justin Tuck.......these guys are getting held not holding people

Come on. The season is young and DT rarely get sacks. The only one I remember getting sacks was by the name of Warren Sapp. Justin smith give lots of pressure at the QB. Something we, the giants D line can hardly produce.

Gilbride was very smart to bring it up. I'm sure the Fox announcers will be more than happy to run a bit with this "controversy". That should include some camera work to see if they can back up Gilbride's claim. I'm sure that's why Harbaugh is so pissed off......he knows that the cameras are going to be looking for evidence.

According to ESPN, there's some smoke behind Gilbride's claim....

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/44284/evidence-supports-gilbride-vs-harbaugh

the refs owe us a phantom defensive holding call from the 2000 superbowl. maybe coughlin's just trying to cash in that IOU

I'm still waiting to see the replay on that one...proved that Phil Simms is not a real Giant...still holding a grudge against them (blame George Young man he of the man crush for that POS Brown at QB) because he never really brought it up as a pivotal call during his commentary during that debacle of a Super Bowl against the Ravens. And Hockafuck can fucking drop dead. If I was at a game he was calling I would scream out to that fuck...did you spend the money you were paid to ensure a Ravens victory for that call yet you bastard? :ermm:

Gilbride was very smart to bring it up. I'm sure the Fox announcers will be more than happy to run a bit with this "controversy". That should include some camera work to see if they can back up Gilbride's claim. I'm sure that's why Harbaugh is so pissed off......he knows that the cameras are going to be looking for evidence.

According to ESPN, there's some smoke behind Gilbride's claim....

http://espn.go.com/b...ide-vs-harbaugh

Fucking hilarious....and no one can say that ESPN is sucking the Giants collective cock because by no means is that organization made up of Giants homers...more like Giants haters/doubters.... Love it. :D

I'm still waiting to see the replay on that one...proved that Phil Simms is not a real Giant...still holding a grudge against them (blame George Young man he of the man crush for that POS Brown at QB) because he never really brought it up as a pivotal call during his commentary during that debacle of a Super Bowl against the Ravens. And Hockafuck can fucking drop dead. If I was at a game he was calling I would scream out to that fuck...did you spend the money you were paid to ensure a Ravens victory for that call yet you bastard? :ermm:

George Young was so fucking overrated. Thank God for Ernie Accorsi.

George Young was so fucking overrated. Thank God for Ernie Accorsi.

Very overrated indeed...but he was better than anything we had here since the Giants Title Era of the late 40's to early 60's. An 18 year playoff drought tends to do that to you. Plus he was a pure compromise candidate between the warring factions of Mara from Wellington Mara and his nephew. Even though I think The Prostitute was and is overrated...him sabotaging his Boss' wishes (e.g. Wellington Mara and Tisch) by not bringing him back to coach the Giants when he clearly wanted to and it would have been like The Prodigal Son returning...well I'm glad he gave way to Ernie not a moment too soon. He also doomed the Giants in the early cap years by overpaying by resigning his own players as opposed to bringing on a decent priced free agent or two. Someone forgot to tell George that free agency in the NFL is not the same as free agency in the NBA where its easier to retain your free agents. That and the shitty replacement team that he put together in the strike year after the Super Bowl 21...that will leave a bad taste in my mouth forever. I don't even count that as a real NFL year...87.

"Kevin Gilbride's outrageous, irrational statement regarding Justin Smith's play is, first, an absurd analogy," Harbaugh said. "Second, it is an incendiary comment targeting one of the truly exemplary players in this league. It's obvious that the Giants coaching staff's sole purpose is to use their high visibility to both criticize and influence officiating."

Wow what an emotional outburst. Gilly wins this one.

He's actually calling out the "getting away with murder" analogy? lol

-Z

Wow what an emotional outburst. Gilly wins this one.

He's actually calling out the "getting away with murder" analogy? lol

-Z

hahaha, yah, go figure a figure of speech would be what set Harbaugh off, lol.

Jim Harbaugh is a whiny cunt.

Yeah, but you know who's worse? Pete Carroll. I can't stand that arrogant prick. When they were playing the Pack, on the last play, when the ref came out and called it a TD and Carroll was standing next to him and threw his arms up? Argh, instantaneous hatred.

1:13 mark -