SportsWrath

Seattle Vs. Greenbay

Balloonknot

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the NFL has no incentive to settle with the regular officials. Attendance and TV ratings are as strong as ever and everyone is talking about the NFL! Doesn't matter that they're being raked over the coals - it's the old Steinbrenner philosophy: no such thing as bad press as long as eyes are on the Tv screen and fannies are in the seats. The NFL beieves they can recruit and train a new crop of refs and until then, they'll weather the storm. By this time next year, it's all forgotten and they have the new refs entirely under control. That's the way the suits on Madison Ave see this going.....

But when it comes to the officials lockout, I'm on the NFL's side. The officials demands are ridiculous...its a part time job, why do they get a pension? And worse, they're refusing to agree to transition to full time employment. I think thats the real sticking point here; all the existing officials have successful full time jobs already, and the NFL gig is just an extremely lucrative part time job. And those guys... aren't that good anyway. We may have to suffer for the short term, but if what we get out of it in the long run are full time, professional officials and refs, then I think thats a good thing.

I don't know...if I read correctly, the officials HAD/HAVE a pension that the NFL is trying to take away. It'd seem to me that the NFL is the bad guy in their proposal. But from the outside looking in, this appears to be the bargaining chip that the NFL would be willing to give up. I would think, that the goal would be for the refs to transition to full time employment, which given the age of some of them, probably isn't all that entertaining.

I agree with the NFL in the sense that it appears they're looking to give pensions to full time employees and that currently, they don't consider the refs full time employees. If the refs become more full time, I think the NFL would be more willing to continue the pensions.

The replay official in the booth, I believe, simply decides whether or not the play should be reviewed in those circumstances, like under 2 minutes in each half. I'm not completely sure on this point, but I think the head official still has the responsibility of making the final call after watching the replays.

I thought though they were consulted. When the ref watched the replay and was unsure he could ask for clarification.

Watching Mike and Mike and they quoted one of the NFL rules stating that the commissioner has complete authority to change the outcome of a game in a case of "extreme unfairness". Your move Goodell.

Now that would cause chaos. He'd be capitulating that the replacement refs are not competent.

Aaron Rodgers has been feeling the rush since the regular season matchup against the Giants last season. I'm not sure he's the same guy now.

Some of those sacks were definitely on him. I didn't watch after half-time but on one sack he rolled out and had a wide open field. He didn't run or throw the ball away and just fancy footed around. If the QB never throws or runs a sack in inevitable. The OLine can't do anything about that.

I don't know...if I read correctly, the officials HAD/HAVE a pension that the NFL is trying to take away. It'd seem to me that the NFL is the bad guy in their proposal. But from the outside looking in, this appears to be the bargaining chip that the NFL would be willing to give up. I would think, that the goal would be for the refs to transition to full time employment, which given the age of some of them, probably isn't all that entertaining.

I agree with the NFL in the sense that it appears they're looking to give pensions to full time employees and that currently, they don't consider the refs full time employees. If the refs become more full time, I think the NFL would be more willing to continue the pensions.

True, they have one now. I hope it plays out as you describe. If its the opposite, the pension is the hold up, and transitioning to full time is just a bargaining chip?... well, then the NFL are being total dicks.

Some of those sacks were definitely on him. I didn't watch after half-time but on one sack he rolled out and had a wide open field. He didn't run or throw the ball away and just fancy footed around. If the QB never throws or runs a sack in inevitable. The OLine can't do anything about that.

I agree. Although I meant to say 'seeing the rush'. Eli feels the rush.

Rodgers started off his career so hot; their offensive line was money, he wasn't getting hit, he played with confidence.... but then the hits came. Get a couple shots on him early and he definitely gets squeamish in the pocket. It was evident last night, against San Francisco earlier this season, and in the NFC divisional round last season. Pretty much every time I see him play, once he takes a couple hits he changes.

like this one:

original.gif

there were no camera angles showing where Tates hands were as both came to the ground.........in baseball tie goes to the offense....id imagine football is the same

There were plenty of other opportunitites for the Packers to take the game

We responded by pounding the Packers 6 weeks later in 2011.......they should suck it up and move on

I agree. Although I meant to say 'seeing the rush'. Eli feels the rush.

Rodgers started off his career so hot; their offensive line was money, he wasn't getting hit, he played with confidence.... but then the hits came. Get a couple shots on him early and he definitely gets squeamish in the pocket. It was evident last night, against San Francisco earlier this season, and in the NFC divisional round last season. Pretty much every time I see him play, once he takes a couple hits he changes.

Yeah that O-line of the Packers aint what it used to be, Seattle was getting to Rodgers all night. I didn't think the Packers O-line has been changed up to much from recent years and I know the addition of Saturday should of helped.

It did help

Saturday recovered the fumble that would have made all this Ref nonsense moot.......the "Regular" refs do not even want to allow the NFL to have reserve Ref teams to replace Refs who are grading out terrible.....these Part Time Refs need to get off their high horse fast or forget about Refing in the NFL again

These guys should get the Ronald Regan Air Controller treatment (no planes fell from the sky) and none of those controllers ever worked that job again

Theres at least one ref that I know of that was fired from the lingerie football league. The fucking lingerie football league! The regular refs are far from perfect but they know the rules and the procedural stuff that goes along with it. The players and coaches don't respect these guys and its compromising the integrity of the game. Unfortunately, the league and the owners feel their pride and a few bucks(for them) is more important than maintaining the high standards they set for themselves so these replacement officials aren't going anywhere. A situation like last night WILL happen again. Lets just hope it's not our Giants on the wrong end.

I thought though they were consulted. When the ref watched the replay and was unsure he could ask for clarification.

The ultimate deciding authority who makes the final call is the head referee. The replay assistant consults, but can't make the decision. The most damning part of the play, is that one official was signaling for clock stoppage for the INT, and the other official signaled for a TD, and the head referee does not consult with either official, before going to the replay booth. So in essence, there was no official call on the field prior to going to the booth, just confusion. You had a massive scrum of players, where the refs are in there trying to sort it out, while coaches are in there, shit, Pete Carroll was in there, and TV cameras were in there. Completely ridiculous.

There was never simulataneous possession, the video evidence makes that abundantly clear, as both players have to gain control of the ball at the same time. All Tate did was initially grab the arm of Jennings, pull him down, and then wrap one arm around him and put at least one hand on the ball. A complete failure of interpretation of the rules, as well as a procedural failure. The head official at minimum, should have consulted with the back judge and the side judge to gather what they saw and didn't see, make the best official call on the field prior to going to replay, and that didn't happen. Totally inexcusable, and an embarrassment to the NFL, and despite their statement, the NFL knows it.

at least these guys are not on Vegas payroll........you guys have short bad call memories

How do you know? Given what these guys are getting paid versus the actual officials, I think there is a much bigger chance outside influences could be at play with the replacement referees. They could hit the lottery for themselves, and they know this gig is only temporary.