SportsWrath

Seattle Vs. Greenbay

Balloonknot

How do you know? Given what these guys are getting paid versus the actual officials, I think there is a much bigger chance outside influences could be at play with the replacement referees. They could hit the lottery for themselves, and they know this gig is only temporary.

theres a cure for this...........you get your opponent to beat the crap out of themselves 36-7........then the Refs dont matter

The ultimate deciding authority who makes the final call is the head referee. The replay assistant consults, but can't make the decision. The most damning part of the play, is that one official was signaling for clock stoppage for the INT, and the other official signaled for a TD, and the head referee does not consult with either official, before going to the replay booth. So in essence, there was no official call on the field prior to going to the booth, just confusion. You had a massive scrum of players, where the refs are in there trying to sort it out, while coaches are in there, shit, Pete Carroll was in there, and TV cameras were in there. Completely ridiculous.

There was never simulataneous possession, the video evidence makes that abundantly clear, as both players have to gain control of the ball at the same time. All Tate did was initially grab the arm of Jennings, pull him down, and then wrap one arm around him and put at least one hand on the ball. A complete failure of interpretation of the rules, as well as a procedural failure. The head official at minimum, should have consulted with the back judge and the side judge to gather what they saw and didn't see, make the best official call on the field prior to going to replay, and that didn't happen. Totally inexcusable, and an embarrassment to the NFL, and despite their statement, the NFL knows it.

That's what I meant by using the consultant. Ask what simultaneous possession is and then make the call. I think though with the original refs this could have also been easily the same outcome.

Anyway this has become a real flash point for the NFL. The local non-sports radio station was talking about it and I don't remember them discussing NFL ever. The NFL Network won't shut up about it, which is a little odd but encouraging.