SportsWrath

Giants Waive Chad Jones

BleedinBlue

Kinda sad really.

Giants waive Chad Jones

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 14, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT

Chad Jones two-year struggle to get back on the football field after serious injuries in a car crash was dealt a big setback today when the Giants announced that they have waived him.

Last week the Giants’ medical staff did not clear Jones to participate in the team’s minicamp, and in the Giants’ statement about placing Jones on waivers they gave more information about his condition.

Chad had a severe injury to his left leg, involving a complex tibial fracture with associated injury to muscle, nerves, and vascular structures,” Giants associate team physician Dr. Scott Rodeo said. “This type of injury is often limb threatening, and can sometimes require amputation. He has made a remarkable recovery to date, with successful salvage of the leg. However, at this time he has residual sensory loss, muscle weakness, and tenuous soft tissue coverage in the involved lower leg. The resultant functional impairment precludes his ability to perform physically at the level required for professional football.”

Jones’ agent called the Giants’ decision “a minor setback” and said Jones expects to be at 100 percent soon. That would be a great comeback story, but at this point it’s hard to envision. The Giants don’t sound optimistic that their 2010 third-round draft pick will ever get back on the football field.

Yeah, that pretty much seals it. If the Giants don't think he will ever be ready to play professional football again, I highly doubt other teams will find the opposite. It's time for Chad to go back to baseball....

Sorry to hear, he has had a bad hand dealt to him with the injury.

Maybe he ends up on another teams squad but if the Giants dont think he can play any meaningful football then I doubt he is ever going to do anything meaningful on the field.

Reality.. he's not fit to play professional football. I know it's hard for a young guy to accept no for an answer... and often we want to be "the one who proved the doubters wrong".... we saw how far Steve Smith got with that... He's lucky to be alive and able to walk. Good luck to him but I think professional sports is not in the stars for him.

Reality.. he's not fit to play professional football. I know it's hard for a young guy to accept no for an answer... and often we want to be "the one who proved the doubters wrong".... we saw how far Steve Smith got with that... He's lucky to be alive and able to walk. Good luck to him but I think professional sports is not in the stars for him.

I hope he can play baseball again.

If he never plays a down, he's got no complaints. He walked away with his signing bonus, and his medical expenses paid. He walked away--does that even happen without the Giants covering his medical bills?

It would be a fantastic story if he made it all the way back, but as it is, it's a pretty good tale.

If he never plays a down, he's got no complaints. He walked away with his signing bonus, and his medical expenses paid. He walked away--does that even happen without the Giants covering his medical bills?

It would be a fantastic story if he made it all the way back, but as it is, it's a pretty good tale.

This. I was rooting for him to make it back to the field. Just a damn shame...you still gotta feel bad for the guy despite what he does have going for him.

I feel for the kid, but you are right, Fish, the Giants did right by him. I still hope he makes it all the way back, however unlikely that is.

Yeah, that pretty much seals it. If the Giants don't think he will ever be ready to play professional football again, I highly doubt other teams will find the opposite. It's time for Chad to go back to baseball....

Yeah the Giants tend to be pretty good and honest with guys concerning their ability to get back to the field. Sad though...but yes he should focus on baseball and life outside of athletic sports...maybe bone up on that communications degree or whatever he took in college.

Oh don't get me wrong--I'm rooting for the kid, too. I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't forget a relatively happy ending in the hunt for a fantastic one.

Exactly Gut...and I would rather for him to be able to walk unassisted from his 40's on up after any type of potential sports career. Like Nas wrote sometimes young guys don't have enough perspective to make long range plans based on reality rather than wish fulfillment.