SportsWrath

these wr contracts must be driving reese insane

Herc

it's one thing for a guy like johnson to raise the ceiling with 60 mil guarenteed

it's another when dudes like laurent robinson are getting 14 mil guarenteed and garcon 21.5. i can't imagine how we'll be able to keep both nicks and cruz with the market looking the way it is now

We may lose Cruz after this year. That's really unfortunate. But if the Giants have taught us one thing, it is that you don't build your team around receivers. You build around QB's and linemen on both sides of the ball. Yes, you need quality everywhere, but when the hard choices come, someone like JPP is more likely to get paid than someone like Cruz. I hope I'm wrong and they can manage to work these contracts to get Cruz, Nicks, and JPP paid. Maybe they take a gamble and give him a very long term deal to spread the bonus out over a lot of years... like an 8 year deal or something. It would be risky, for sure, and not a kind of contract GM's are accustomed to giving out. But he'll only be 26 next year.

All the more reason to focus on the draft and developing younger guys. Salary cap will increase too, but the point is valid that we're going to have some guys walk. Hopefully by the time that happens, we'll have built guys up to fill the eventual hole.

i think if anyone should get a super long deal it's nicks. i can definitely see him being a productive possession receiver by the time he's near the end of a 7 year deal

No doubt, I totally agree. The only reason I didn't mention Nicks is because I think the Giants won't even consider letting him walk, unless he demands for Megatron money.

Guest StrahansGap

Well, if it came down to being forced to pay Cruz or JPP long term........I'll pay JPP 100 out of 100 times.

Well, if it came down to being forced to pay Cruz or JPP long term........I'll pay JPP 100 out of 100 times.

That's a given.. but Cruz is also worth it if he keeps playing at high level. His highlights this season ... I can't recall a Giants WR ever having those...

i will probably be super pissed at the giants if they choose cruz over nicks. it's bad enough he gets more attention

We have a great tandom in both of them... they make each other better. I think they should BOTH be locked to long term deals and they should know it's better to play for a winner for a little bit less money than for a loser. Now add Steve Smith back to the mix and our WR corp is deadly.

Cruz will be a RFA so we should get quality compensation of Reese has to let Cruz walk.

Sadly most fans would rather have Cruz over Nicks. But The real fans Nd Jerry Reese know that Nicks is the guy for the long haul, and he's younger then Cruz and will be able to play onto his 30s at a high level just bases off his physical nature. Hope we keep them all, but Cruz maybe the odd man out. If a WR is picked early then that maybe an indication that We can't pay Cruz.

Cruz will be a RFA so we should get quality compensation of Reese has to let Cruz walk.

Sadly most fans would rather have Cruz over Nicks. But The real fans Nd Jerry Reese know that Nicks is the guy for the long haul, and he's younger then Cruz and will be able to play onto his 30s at a high level just bases off his physical nature. Hope we keep them all, but Cruz maybe the odd man out. If a WR is picked early then that maybe an indication that We can't pay Cruz.

said who? and who said we have to pick one over the other?

Can't wait for the posts calling them traitors and people putting them down if they decide to go elsewhere for the payday.

If it's reported that they don't even give the giants a chance to match the offer whilst going to a division rival then yes I'll probably make one of those posts.

We have a great tandom in both of them... they make each other better. I think they should BOTH be locked to long term deals and they should know it's better to play for a winner for a little bit less money than for a loser. Now add Steve Smith back to the mix and our WR corp is deadly.

nicks put top numbers up with boss and manningham as his supporting cast two years ago so he doesn't need cruz. you could make the argument that cruz makes his personal numbers worse.

i want to keep them both together too, i was just speaking hypothetically if we have to choose between them

idiots like daniel snyder giving garcon 21.5 mil and calvin johnson getting franchise qb money say we might have to

Nah, luckily we have a couple of years with Nicks and Cruz will see that he needs an Eli to throw to him for those #s to shine... I'm not too worried now and I think it would be great if the Giants could offer him a contract NOW making this years earnings respectable and next year's and beyond worth his value as a player and fan favorite.

There aren't many teams in the league who just throw money at WRs anwyay... we're good.

nicks put top numbers up with boss and manningham as his supporting cast two years ago so he doesn't need cruz. you could make the argument that cruz makes his personal numbers worse.

i want to keep them both together too, i was just speaking hypothetically if we have to choose between them

that's humorous. So, Nicks would have had BETTER numbers with Jerrell Jernigan and Devin Thomas as the other starting receivers?

I don't get it, how do you make that argument, exactly? Like, if only Nicks was on the field and he was surrounded by a bunch of scrubs, he'd have better numbers? I don't think that's true at all, necessarily. And I think it makes for an offense that would struggle immensely.

Boss, Manningham, Smith....you had other talented players to take the doubles off him all the time. You had other talented players to move the chains. I don't get your logic here. This lineup was essentially the same as what we have now, except Cruz is a lot better than Steve Smith.

Nah, luckily we have a couple of years with Nicks and Cruz will see that he needs an Eli to throw to him for those #s to shine... I'm not too worried now and I think it would be great if the Giants could offer him a contract NOW making this years earnings respectable and next year's and beyond worth his value as a player and fan favorite.

There aren't many teams in the league who just throw money at WRs anwyay... we're good.

cruz is a RFA next season and nicks is an UFA the next. i think we're in big trouble if we're in the same cap situation next season. hopefully reese can figure it out but it seems like a daunting task

And Nicks put up his best stats of his career in every statistical category other than touchdowns. And part of that was Cruz taking ten yard out patterns 80 yards to the house every time he touched the ball.

cruz is a RFA next season and nicks is an UFA the next. i think we're in big trouble if we're in the same cap situation next season. hopefully reese can figure it out but it seems like a daunting task

YUP!!

Reese offer great value for perduction. I can't imagain giving up any of our high salary guys. Cuz other than rolle I don't think anyone else on the team deserves a lower paycheck base on last year's performance.

Nicks, Cruz and JPP. If base on the current contracts given out. I think they are worth around 5-10 million a year type players. Mario Williams getting a 100million contract. Pierre Cercon(however you spell it) got a crazy paycheck from Skins. Then you have guys like V.Jackson getting pay crazy amounts.

I do hope they all stay but they ain't Peyton manning or Carson Palmer who already got deep pockets from their first contract after the rookie salary. They don't really have the luxury to say they want to stay with a championship bound team. Especially cruz. I won't fualt anyone from getting their money.

But again one of those three will walk.