SportsWrath

Free Agency

Nas

I'm not so sure that anyone was asking for their head or shipping them off just yet. Rather, I think folks were simply looking at our cap situation, gravitating towards those making the most, and seeing what options were available, to include what impact cutting them would have cap-wise. Yes they're strong players, but in the case of Canty, we've drafted DT recently and may have a replacement already lined up. If it weren't for the Chad Jones accident, we might not have entered into the large contract with Rolle. Again, both have been valuable for us and again, I don't see anyone stating that they didn't contribute heavily to the SB run, but at the same time, if you're always looking to improve, all options should be considered.

Are you suggesting Marvin Austin would be the replacement for the 2012 season? Because he is coming off the knee surgery, and didn't even play college ball the entire year before that... he's 2 years removed from playing any organized football. Rocky Bernard and Jimmy Kennedy are both UFA's. We're left with Martin Parker. Just so we're clear, the only guys we have on the roster are Linval, Canty, Austin, and Martin Parker. I'm not saying this to be argumentative, just that I'm not sure cutting Canty is a smart move at all right now. I understand Reese could shop around in free agency for a cheaper alternative. But I don't think there is a good replacement for him on our roster at all.

Anyway, the only reason I said something is because people were saying scenarios of what if we cut this guy or that guy. I don't really like that, because these guys just won a Super Bowl, and they are good players, for one, and secondly, what the heck are we going to do about filling their shoes?

If you want to make a prediction about a player, I can understand talking about Jacobs because he is entering the last year of his deal, makes a larger amount of money commensurate to his role on the team, and will be 30 going into the 2012 season. If they can work something out with him, great. I'd love to have him back. But I don't see how they can keep him under the way his contract currently stands.

But let's not get to charged up over talk of cutting our guys that just won the Lombardi... it just feels wrong! :)

Like I said, I think folks are simply exploring possibilities and repercussions of the what-if scenarios. Not saying we should or shouldn't do anything specifically. So there's no need to get defensive and argue that we should keep this guy or that guy.

Yea I feel like Jones is gonna be able to make the team this year.

And I think Austin had a torn pectoral, his knee should be fine, I do agree that he won't be ready to contribute significantly right away since he hasn't played in 2 years. But the guy is a freak talent. So I expect BIGTIME contributions by 2013

Yea I feel like Jones is gonna be able to make the team this year.

And I think Austin had a torn pectoral, his knee should be fine, I do agree that he won't be ready to contribute significantly right away since he hasn't played in 2 years. But the guy is a freak talent. So I expect BIGTIME contributions by 2013

Thanks for the correction on the injury. I expect the same things from Austin but there always is that bust potential, you never know until they prove themselves. I'm definitely looking forward to watching what he can do during the preseason. If we hit a home run with Austin, and this line can stay healthy, it should be fun to watch... JPP lining up next to Austin for years to come... that would be awesome.

Can't argue with you that there overpaid.

When we signed Rolle we were DESPERATE for a legit Saftey. Phillips had the knee issue and we had Cc Brown and Michael Johnson. So Reese was pressured to pay the man.

But it's safe to say those signings were well worth the cap hell IMO since super bowls are great!

Canty is more expendable then I though. Wouldn't be surprised to see him re-structure. He was signed as more of a luxury to replace Fred Robbins.

Dude? :rules: There are names that should never be mentioned :ban:

Like I said, I think folks are simply exploring possibilities and repercussions of the what-if scenarios. Not saying we should or shouldn't do anything specifically. So there's no need to get defensive and argue that we should keep this guy or that guy.

Correct and if I'm the GM the first name that will be mentioned when it comes to salary is Rolle... he's 2nd behind Eli Manning... and the Giants have a huge cap problem. Rolle isn't worth $9M.. easily. Then Canty.. also he's not worth what he's getting paid.

Thanks for the correction on the injury. I expect the same things from Austin but there always is that bust potential, you never know until they prove themselves. I'm definitely looking forward to watching what he can do during the preseason. If we hit a home run with Austin, and this line can stay healthy, it should be fun to watch... JPP lining up next to Austin for years to come... that would be awesome.

I wouldn't mind up picking up someone like Amobi Okoye at DT. He is still only 24 and was once the 9th overall pick in the draft. On a rotational basis in our system, I think he could be good. He wasn't bad in Chicago last year. We could sign him to a one year deal and if he plays well, he could get a starting job in 2013 somewhere.

Are you suggesting Marvin Austin would be the replacement for the 2012 season? Because he is coming off the knee surgery, and didn't even play college ball the entire year before that... he's 2 years removed from playing any organized football. Rocky Bernard and Jimmy Kennedy are both UFA's. We're left with Martin Parker. Just so we're clear, the only guys we have on the roster are Linval, Canty, Austin, and Martin Parker. I'm not saying this to be argumentative, just that I'm not sure cutting Canty is a smart move at all right now. I understand Reese could shop around in free agency for a cheaper alternative. But I don't think there is a good replacement for him on our roster at all.

Anyway, the only reason I said something is because people were saying scenarios of what if we cut this guy or that guy. I don't really like that, because these guys just won a Super Bowl, and they are good players, for one, and secondly, what the heck are we going to do about filling their shoes?

If you want to make a prediction about a player, I can understand talking about Jacobs because he is entering the last year of his deal, makes a larger amount of money commensurate to his role on the team, and will be 30 going into the 2012 season. If they can work something out with him, great. I'd love to have him back. But I don't see how they can keep him under the way his contract currently stands.

But let's not get to charged up over talk of cutting our guys that just won the Lombardi... it just feels wrong! :)

I agree on canty, I'm not a big fan but I think he had his best year yet. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they cut jacobs. If he were smart, he would agree to restructure to stay, because I don't see anyone willing to give him that kinda dough elsewhere.

Just read an article that Chad Jones' doctors cleared him to run/practice. He'll still have to pass the Giant's physical, but he'd be a nice addition to our secondary if he can come back to where he was.

I was just thinking about him...that would be a great story if he can make it.

I agree on canty, I'm not a big fan but I think he had his best year yet. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they cut jacobs. If he were smart, he would agree to restructure to stay, because I don't see anyone willing to give him that kinda dough elsewhere.

I read on SI.com that Jacobs is willing to restructure, but "it has to be fair".

I read on SI.com that Jacobs is willing to restructure, but "it has to be fair".

Sure it would have to be fair, but I think the cards are in the giants favor here. Jacobs has to look at how he was used here this year and yet we won everything. They don't play him on third and short and when we do he doesn't get it. His reputation around the league is that he runs soft. Plus let's face it, he older now, and there isn't a premium on running backs like there used to be.

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO YOU'RE NOT MY MOM!

Sure it would have to be fair, but I think the cards are in the giants favor here. Jacobs has to look at how he was used here this year and yet we won everything. They don't play him on third and short and when we do he doesn't get it. His reputation around the league is that he runs soft. Plus let's face it, he older now, and there isn't a premium on running backs like there used to be.

I know. Part of the issue with us as a whole on 3rd or 4th and short is that we are so fn predictable it hurts. Same issue in the red zone. I swear about 75% of our TDs came from over 20 yards.

As far as the quote goes that's the crap he said. Like he thinks Reese is gonna shaft him even before they start talking. Why even put that out there?