SportsWrath

Free Agency

Nas

I wouldn't underate the need for 4+ quality pass rushers.

It's been a huge part in winning us superbowls. Atleast in 07 and 11.

Tuck and JPP is great. Kiwi is another good one. Osi is a ? In the future.

I definately would Not be upset if we drafted a DE in rounds 1-3.

JPP 1st

Kiwi 1s

Osi 2nd

Tuck 3rd

That's how you get a quality pass rusher in most cases. Top 3 rounds. And we have the luxury of taking a raw DE since we have depth and it helps raw talent develop with guys like we have at De already.

Pass rush is gold. Even more so in the modern NFL.

Everyone's saying we're close to the cap...is there a site for this? Has the removal of the un-signed players' salaries been reflected on that yet?

http://www.spotrac.c...giants/cap-hit/

I read somewhere the cap is projected to be somewhere between 121 and 125 million....which leaves us with 4 to 8 million dollars of space currently....

Brandon Jacobs has a 7 million dollar cap figure and Rolle's is at 9 million...we absolutely can't afford to blow 16 million on those two guys.

-Z

K so I'm looking around for this info, it sounds to me like if you cut someone you have to absorb the hit of whatever bonuses are left on his contract.

If the cut comes before June 1 all bonuses remaining in his contract get absorbed into this years cap figure, and if the cut comes after June 1 then this years bonus goes against this years cap and the remaining bonuses get absorbed in next years cap.

So it looks like if we cut Jacobs for free agency/draft then instead of an almost 7 million dollar cap hit this year we'd take a 2.5 million dollar hit for his bonuses....so we'd save 4.5 million.

-Z

I think I read somewhere that we would save $2.3 million. I think he's scheduled to make about $4.2

This is the last year of Jacobs' contract, his base salary is 4.4 million and his bonuses for this year total about 2.5, which makes his total cap figure almost 7 million...in my understanding if we cut him we only have to pay his bonuses and only that goes against the cap.

-Z

just now:

Brandon Jacobs took a $1.75M pay cut to remain a Giant last year. Is he willing to take another one? "Like I said the last time: As long as it’s fair,” he said today. “There’s something that can be done. I do put a lot of hard work and dedication into what I do as well. But as long as it’s fair, things can happen.” ... It would have to happen soon. He's due a $500,000 roster bonus in early March, and another $4.4 million in salary in 2012

Brandon Jacobs added that he wants to "retire a Giant ... “I just hope they give me the opportunity to do that.”

https://twitter.com/...!/TheBlueScreen

Wow that would awesome. I'd live to bring Jacobs back at a reduced salary.

Even if he's declining, he's definately worth bringing back just for Pass Protection alone. He had become a tremendous blocker for Eli.

Ahmad

Bj

Ware

They All do a great job at protecting Eli but Jacobs Delivers some brutal hits to oncoming rushers.

Jacobs has the 8th largest 2012 cap hit among running backs....the Baas contract is also a killer, he's listed as a gaurd on that site but his 4.9 million cap figure puts him at 4th among centers....also wildly inflated relative to production. Another killer contract is Canty, who's listed on that website as an end, but who's 7.6 million cap figure for this year puts him at 5th behind Ngata, Seymour, Suh and Wilfork. I love the guy, but he isn't in that class.

Otherwise we don't have too many bad contracts. Eli chews up cap space but you gotta pay him. Webster's making a ton of money but he's 12th in the league at CB which I think is actually a steal.

Oh yeah I forgot the Rolle contract is killer at this point also. He's a nine million dollar cap hit in each of the next three years.

-Z

Not so fast... look for the Giants to shed some highly paid players who are no longer worth the price.. every team does it.

Jacobs. With Scott and possibly Brown I think Jacobs is completely expendable. He would probably take a cut but I think he needs to shave like $2 million, which I doubt he would do.

Agreed, I mean, if another DE is drafted in the first this year, by the time he pans out (if he pans out) we'd just be worrying about having to resign a guy like Justin Tuck or JPP, anyway...and we'd be in the same exact position. You can't always have 4 starting quality DEs (counting Kiwanuka....5 if you count Tollefson which I am inclined to do so, he's a good player)....

Oh, I definitely include Tollefson when referring to our good DE's, thats why I say we have an influx of good pass rushers. Yeah man, we dont wanna end up back hee when we could be grooming a stud TE or RB from the draft. I really would like to get that TE outta Georgia. I watched him alot this past season, because my Aunt works at the Univ. of Georgia. I know alot dont want a TE with the 1st pick, but its our most pressing need. And that kids got good hands and can block. LB will be better with a yr under Jones and Williams belt. And possibly getting Goff back.

Oh, I definitely include Tollefson when referring to our good DE's, thats why I say we have an influx of good pass rushers. Yeah man, we dont wanna end up back hee when we could be grooming a stud TE or RB from the draft. I really would like to get that TE outta Georgia. I watched him alot this past season, because my Aunt works at the Univ. of Georgia. I know alot dont want a TE with the 1st pick, but its our most pressing need. And that kids got good hands and can block. LB will be better with a yr under Jones and Williams belt. And possibly getting Goff back.

After watching the evolution of the NFL the last decade, I struggle to see the reasoning behind not wanting a badass TE with the 1st pick. It's a very important position and, as we can see, teams are using big and fast, absolute physical specimens at tight end to not only create mismatches (blocking and mismatches over the middle....the two hallmarks of a good tight end) but to take advantage of the strict rules on being physical back at them....as a defender.

Imagine this Giants team with the receivers we have now and, say, Rob Gronkowski. Yes, I realize that our philosophy does not so much emphasize the tight end but with a dangerous one, there's no way teams can double Nicks anymore.

Then, imagine a running back who can actually catch the ball out of the backfield. It would be amazing. And maybe we could even utilize a screen that actually gains yardage.

After watching the evolution of the NFL the last decade, I struggle to see the reasoning behind not wanting a badass TE with the 1st pick. It's a very important position and, as we can see, teams are using big and fast, absolute physical specimens at tight end to not only create mismatches (blocking and mismatches over the middle....the two hallmarks of a good tight end) but to take advantage of the strict rules on being physical back at them....as a defender.

Imagine this Giants team with the receivers we have now and, say, Rob Gronkowski. Yes, I realize that our philosophy does not so much emphasize the tight end but with a dangerous one, there's no way teams can double Nicks anymore.

Then, imagine a running back who can actually catch the ball out of the backfield. It would be amazing. And maybe we could even utilize a screen that actually gains yardage.

Wth happened to our screen game? Tiki was really dangerous on a screen, but Bradshaw and Jacobs can't seem to get out of the backfield. I'm wondering is it them or is it the design of the play?

Wth happened to our screen game? Tiki was really dangerous on a screen, but Bradshaw and Jacobs can't seem to get out of the backfield. I'm wondering is it them or is it the design of the play?

I tend to think it's the design of the plays and the execution of getting lineman out there....we have a pretty finesse offensive line so I would guess it is partly because we don't have that mean, incredibly athletic for his size, big dude that is able to get out there to the second level fast enough to get that first guy. Second, I can't remember the last time I saw Ahmad Bradshaw actually follow his blockers....he does not have the vision to be effective in a screen play. Jacobs is too slow to be out there. I do remember seeing it work with DJ Ware a couple times throughout the season, however...

Maybe its me, but I honestly think there's something telling in our screen plays cause it looks like the defense is all over it the second Bradshaw catches the ball. You're dead on about him not following his blockers though. He does that on simple runs. Run a Power O and I can almost guarantee he'll cut it back.

Maybe its me, but I honestly think there's something telling in our screen plays cause it looks like the defense is all over it the second Bradshaw catches the ball. You're dead on about him not following his blockers though. He does that on simple runs. Run a Power O and I can almost guarantee he'll cut it back.

Yep, that's the one knock I've always had on Bradshaw...he doesn't stick with the play design! He looks to cut back way too soon and often doesn't let the play finish developing!

Very good point, Bradshaw can't exactly follow his blockers if they are not there soon enough...lol. We just don't have that athletic lineman that can get out there and lay some wood down and allow Bradshaw to make his first move and follow the rest of his blockers. A better blocking tight end (Pascoe and Ballard aren't bad but need work still and both are fairly slow) would help our screen play, though.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/53790/nfc-east-cap-review-redskins-in-the-money

NFC East cap space...we're over, by a bunch. Not sure if this includes guys like McKenzie or not since he's technically still on the roster. I am not sure when your unsigned guys technically become FAs and their contract officially comes off the books. Maybe it already is...I don't know.