SportsWrath

New Giants Linebackers

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

Next year, would you rather fill our LB void with a rookie draftee or would sign a free agent? This years class of free agents include Jon Beason, EJ Henderson and London Fletcher. Beason is the best of the bunch but I don't know if he'll be too expensive. Thoughts????

I'd make a serious attempt at London Fletcher. He seems to be a leader where we're lacking in the department defensively. On top of that, it'd be a huge blow to Washington's defense.

That said, I read that Washington is going to make him a priority this offseason. However, he might look back on how often his team was actually in competition to win the division and decide that we'd be the better choice. It'd come down to money vs. desire to win for him.

I hope Goff comes back at 100%

Also, Beason signed a 5 year deal last year:

On July 28, 2011, Beason and the Panthers agreed to terms on a deal that would make him the highest paid middle linebacker in NFL history. The deal is worth $50 million over 5 years, with $25 million guaranteed.[6] On September 14, Beason was placed on the injured reserve list with an injured left achilles tendon.

Guest StrahansGap

I hope Goff comes back at 100%

Also, Beason signed a 5 year deal last year:

I like Goff too. Even Sintim has showed some promise. I think we should draft a rookie LB within the first 3 rounds and see what we can get.....

I like Goff too. Even Sintim has showed some promise. I think we should draft a rookie LB within the first 3 rounds and see what we can get.....

I 'm not sure what you've seen but I think Sintim's a bust. Too small to be a DE, too slow to be a 4-3 OLB.

If Burfict is there when we draft we should take him.

but we should also look into free agent possibilities.

I advocated using both approaches before... we need a solid FA LB since I feel this team is strong enough to contend every year ... but we also need a solid top tier LB via the draft.

I'd make a serious attempt at London Fletcher. He seems to be a leader where we're lacking in the department defensively. On top of that, it'd be a huge blow to Washington's defense.

That said, I read that Washington is going to make him a priority this offseason. However, he might look back on how often his team was actually in competition to win the division and decide that we'd be the better choice. It'd come down to money vs. desire to win for him.

The guy is 36 years old. I think you are out of your mind.

I think the draft is the way to go. I'd be okay with adding a veteran via free agency, too. This unit needs some intense competition next season. Injuries really exposed the unit in 2011.

But there have been some pleasant surprises.....JW and Herzlich could really develop into good players. I like Jones as well.

Still, though, I'd really like to see them add an impact player.....Sintim and Goff haven't proven anything to me yet.

One last point.....letting Blackburn go was a stupid move. Unless they stock the roster with studs, Chase should have a spot next season.

I advocated using both approaches before... we need a solid FA LB since I feel this team is strong enough to contend every year ... but we also need a solid top tier LB via the draft.

They need some olinemen above all. IMO. Not saying it has to be first round but for crying out loud.....it's time..

They need some olinemen above all. IMO. Not saying it has to be first round but for crying out loud.....it's time..

The Giants seem to draft OL every year though.. which is great.. and I don't see why they won't continue doing that.

If Burfict is there when we draft we should take him. I like Zach Brown out of NC too.

but we should also look into free agent possibilities.

True true...now if they could just play better....or not get hurt........damn

The guy is 36 years old. I think you are out of your mind.

a 36 year old who (1) led the league in tackles in 2011 with 166, (2) had 2 picks, (3) forced 3 fumbles, and, (4) perhaps most importantly to our injury riddled defense, has played in 16 out of 16 regular season games each of the past 13 years.

Nobody is saying that we need to sign him longterm. Two years max, with maybe a 3rd year voidable by either party.

EDIT: Wanted to add a note not to underrate the information we'd get from him regarding the Skins defense. Given the Skins are a division rival and we play them twice a year and they'll likely have the same DCoordinator next year, we might already have a chunk of knowledge to pull from making this advantage less of an advantage - at the end of the day, it's still something to consider.

I figure they'll at least make him a reasonable offer, but he has a say in the deal as well.

The chance to move to a team where he'd have a chance at a SB might take precedence over money at this point in his career. Beyond that, given he played with St Louis and Buffalo prior, he may not necessarily have a devotion to the Redskins at this point.

I simply think the Giants should make their offer and then not lose a whole lot of sleep if he turns it down to return to the Skins.

54 Goff, Jonathan LB 6-2 241 26 4 Vanderbilt 52 Sintim, Clint LB 6-3 246 25 3 Virginia 98 Tracy, Adrian LB 6-2 245 24 2

William & Mary 93 Blackburn, Chase LB 6-4 242 28 7 Akron 59 Boley, Michael LB 6-3 230 29 7 Southern Mississippi 51 DeOssie, Zak LB 6-4 249 27 5 Brown 58 Herzlich, Mark LB 6-4 246 24 R Boston College 53 Jones, Greg LB 6-0 248 23 R Michigan State 94 Kiwanuka, Mathias LB 6-5 267 28 6 Boston College 55 Paysinger, Spencer LB 6-2 236 23 R Oregon 57 Williams, Jacquian LB 6-3 224 23 R South Florida

Above are all the LBs we got on roster + injury list + Practice .... all are YOUNG and like i said, we need someone from the FA to bring in leadership!!!!.. how long are you willing to wait ? next year is gonna be another thread bitching about our lame ass drafts and wait game.....

Other than Michael BOley(sign from FA),, there isn't really another LB who can play.. or had enough time to develop..

Next year, would you rather fill our LB void with a rookie draftee or would sign a free agent? This years class of free agents include Jon Beason, EJ Henderson and London Fletcher. Beason is the best of the bunch but I don't know if he'll be too expensive. Thoughts????

I think we need both a rookie draftee with potential and a vet that can step in and add some fire and intensity right away. I'd love if we could somehow land James Harrison from Pittsburgh... yeah, he may be a cheap shot artist, but aside from JPP we don't have a single player on this team that consistently lays the wood like that fucking guy, and I'll take between 3-4 unsportsmanlike penalties per year to ensure that the opposing team's players have their head on a swivel every game.

Bring a guy in with some fire like that, then draft a stud MLB.

I haven't really thought about it--there are games to play.

I just think it would be good to get an older guy that's been around to show the kids some technique--a Sam Madison type. When your old guys are Boley and Kiwi, that really looks like what you need.

I think the kids will be much better next year, and really didn't have the expectations some of you guys had for them this year. They showed some good, and a lot of bad, but not nearly the horror show it could have been. The only one I've really been disappointed in was Boley, believe it or not, and that was because he came out like a wild man and disappeared.

I thought Kiwi was pretty impressive, probably more than I expected to be. So maybe all we really need to sign is Goff, and a decent LB coach. We get to keep another youngster when we are finally rid of Sintim.

At this point, we might start drafting quicker than we can develop them.

Goff should be re-signed. He's going to be a very good player if he can come back healthy. The starting 3 projects very nicely in Goff, Boley, and Kiwi. I also think letting Chase go for all the rookies was a mistake. If anything, they should've re-signed Chase the next day after Goff got injured. There was no way throwing those rooks out there that soon was a good idea.

Let me just say, going into 2012, the jury is very much out on Greg Jones, Jacquian Williams, and Mark Herzlich. We just don't know if these guys are long term solutions. To me, you already had a veteran in Bulluck last year come in and the results weren't that desirable.

I'd prefer the Giants get a LB in the top 2 rounds. Someone with real athletic talent, not a project like the 3 rookies this year. Big on my radar is Ronnell Lewis from OU, Vontaze Burfict from ASU, and to a slightly lesser extent, Luke Kuechly from Boston College. Despite Fletcher's production this year, father time will catch up to him in the near future, whether it's next year or the year after. Get the next London Fletcher. To me, if he keeps his head on straight, Burfict is the next Ray Lewis.

Out of our young LBs I think Williams has...

The most upside

Has shown and flashed the most so far

Has been receiving the most meaninful snaps by far

The best athletic ability by a lightyear

Is still an extremely raw young player

I'm big on Jaquain and think he takes Boleys job or Kiwis job in 2013.