SportsWrath

tonights practice

Lughead

Is a damn M*A*S*H unit.

OHM: Giants announce CB Amukamara has a fracture of 5th metatarsal bone in left foot. surgery needed, sidelined for an undetermined period.

pat hanlon: RT @Giants: Following sat out of #giants practice. Manningham-ankle. B. jackson - back hixon-knee. Sintim- knee. D thomas - finger

pat hanlon: RT @Giants: Also sitting out Cary harris - shoulder and S. Paysinger - groin

what the hell is going on down there at the Timex center?

this sucks.

I know injuries are a part of any professional sport and that all teams have to over come it but holy fuck what is with the Giants ALWAYS having players injured who are major parts of the teams success.

I can't blame this on the Giants' conditioning because it was the dude's first day.. just a shitty injury..

I have in the past called for a yoga class at least once a week to be incorporated into the Giants' conditioning program... seeing those pulled hamstrings and torn quads.

I can't blame this on the Giants' conditioning because it was the dude's first day.. just a shitty injury..

I have in the past called for a yoga class at least once a week to be incorporated into the Giants' conditioning program... seeing those pulled hamstrings and torn quads.

well I guess we can blame them on the lock out then.

well I guess we can blame them on the lock out then.

I'm sure the lockout didn't help. What gets me is that the players bitch about not needing this practice and not needing this conditioning because supposedly they're in shape and working out year round. Now, I'm sure not all the training camp injuries can be pinned on the lockout, but I'd certainly think of the lockout as a large contribution.

I guess the real comparison would be seen in # of injuries last year, by type (quad, hamstring, achilles, etc.), as opposed to the same analysis this year. I've yet to see that information.

A broken foot is one thing, he got stomped on by Duke, but the number of Achilles ruptures, torn knee ligaments and hamstrings we see every fucking season makes me question the turf. We didn't used to see this many leg injuries on the old grass, that or my memory of them has faded...

A broken foot is one thing, he got stomped on by Duke, but the number of Achilles ruptures, torn knee ligaments and hamstrings we see every fucking season makes me question the turf. We didn't used to see this many leg injuries on the old grass, that or my memory of them has faded...

That and their practice mindset. It seems that the zeitgeist at the Giants practices since Coughlin got there is to go at almost game speed during practice. Pads and all. I think that is another reason why we see the late year fades; guys are tapped out before they even reach the field. Every year the same bullshit. Used to be only if you were a Jason Sehorn type asshole these major injuries would only happen infrequently. But every year we lose 4-5 guys early.

That and their practice mindset. It seems that the zeitgeist at the Giants practices since Coughlin got there is to go at almost game speed during practice. Pads and all. I think that is another reason why we see the late year fades; guys are tapped out before they even reach the field. Every year the same bullshit. Used to be only if you were a Jason Sehorn type asshole these major injuries would only happen infrequently. But every year we lose 4-5 guys early.

Exactly... case in point: Strahan played lights out when he sat out the summer.. we won the SB that year.

It happens to every team, not just the Giants.

I'd wager a guess that it has more to do with the performance-enhancing drugs that these athletes take than with any particular training regimen... players' muscles grow too quickly and the connective tissues can't keep up.

I'd wager a guess that it has more to do with the performance-enhancing drugs that these athletes take than with any particular training regimen... players' muscles grow too quickly and the connective tissues can't keep up.

I've heard that theory before and give it some credence, though I think Tree has a point and I do believe the Giants go all out in their practices far too much.

I think the grass experiment only lasted 1 year. Maybe 2 and the practice field was artificial at that time. Albany was / is grass though.

The Giants installed Field Turf which is pretty widely used. From their web sight:

NFL game and/or practice field installations:

Atlanta Falcons

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Houston Texans

Indianapolis Colts

Jacksonville Jaguars

Kansas City Chiefs

Minnesota Vikings

New England Patriots

New Orleans Saints

New York Giants

New York Jets

Oakland Raiders

Pittsburgh Steelers

Seattle Seahawks

St. Louis Rams

Tennessee Titans

Maybe they installed ours on a Friday afternoon though.

I think the grass experiment only lasted 1 year. Maybe 2 and the practice field was artificial at that time.

i remember that "grass" experiment using the removable octogonal pallets. the grass lasted a week or two, and then it was painted green mud the rest of the year.

There's studies that show steroids actually (and actively?) weaken ligaments, so there's a double-whammy effect (weaker ligament + more strain from large muscles).

whats funny about the talk about our turf is that the players voted our turf as the 2nd best artificial turf in the league:

1. Indianapolis (FieldTurf)

2. New York Giants/Jets (FieldTurf)

3. New Orleans (UBU Sports)

4. Seattle (FieldTurf)

5. Dallas (Hellas)

6. Atlanta (FieldTurf)

7. New England (FieldTurf)

8. Detroit (FieldTurf)

8. Baltimore (Shaw Sportexe)

9. St. Louis (Astroturf)

10. Cincinnati (FieldTurf)

11. Minnesota (Shaw Sportexe)