SportsWrath

How Will the NFC East Playout this Season?

BleedinBlue

In my opinion, the Redskins have made the biggest improvement so instead of 4-12, I suspect they will be closer to 6-10. Albert Hayneworth has gotten fat and lazy and since he won the "pro lottery", has lost the fire in his belly...that's the rumors anyway. However, getting McNabb makes them better.

Philly (in my ever so humble opinion) made a big mistake in getting rid of McNabb. They've gotten better in a couple of spots, but putting the game in the hands of a QB that has very little experience will give them setbacks for this year and possibly next - particularly when the game is on the line. I wouldn't be surprised that after a few losses, they'll be trying to squeeze some hope out of Vick. Prediction: 7-9

Cowboys - "Don't Get the Popcorn Ready". Dallas is getting a lot of media love (now there's a friggin surprise) because they got Dez Bryant. What the media doesn't talk about is how bad the offensive line had gotten last year and how they've done nothing to fix it in the offseason...and now that bad line will be older and slower. You can have the best recievers in the country, but if the front line cannot give the QB more than a second to throw the ball - it becomes a moot point. Romo will have a lot of grass stains on the back of his Jersey this season. Prediction: 8-8

The Giants suffered last year because of injuries. But if everyone is back to full health (especially Osi and Phillips), the Giants should win the division. With an improved defensive line and a much improved secondary with a healthy Phillips and the additions of Rolle, Jones, and Grant at safety,,,it could be one of the best in the NFL. Offense has not been a problem for the Giants of late, but the defense has been atrocious. Thankfully, JR used the first 4 picks of the draft on defensive players that should step in and help right away....as well as getting some players back who were injured last year and as well as bringing in probowler Rolle. This coming season should be a turnaround for the Giants as they get back to their winning ways. Achilles heal is our kicking game (IMHO) Prediction: 13-3

It's weird almost every team in the NFC East went threw somewhat of a major change this year and it's going to be interesting to see who comes out on top come season end.

Philly lost two of their all time offensive play makers in McNabb and Westbrook, however they still have alot of big time play makers in Jackson, Maclin and McCoy who IMO looks like a better runner then Westbrook. Cobb should be a serviceable QB and if he does turn out to be anything solid then they should still have a high flying O. I think their weakness will be their D which seems to be (much like ours) in a rebuilding mode. Reid is going to be coaching to keep his job this year so I would expect him to throw everything he has at this season.

Washington obviously made the big news with getting McNabb who is an immediate upgrade in their QB position. They have a solid WR in Moss and a young star in Devin Thomas plus they have Cooley and Davis as their TEs. They signed a plethora of RBs this year so I think all in all their offense has been upgraded and they should score more then 13 points a game. Their D has always been solid and even without that over rated fuck in Haynesworth they will still be able to stop people. The addition of Shanahan should help.

Dallas seemed to have a quiet offseason, didnt make any big moves in free agency and their only real highlight has been trading up for Bryant. Their Romo lead offense is going to put up 20+ points a game and if Bryant turns out to be the WR some people say he can be then he is going to be a huge addition to their lacking WR core. Their O-line is going to be suspect this year with them releasing "The Tripper" and a couple recovering for injury. However with their trade of Barrow from the Rams their O-line shouldnt suffer to much. I think much like the Eagles their weakness will be in their D as well, their secondary was almost as bad as the Giants last year and so far they lack leadership (much like the Giants).

In the end I have a hard time trying to rank who will top the division, I do think Washington made the best improvement on paper with Dallas looking like they didnt do much to improve their team. If I had to say how the division would rank up it would have to be:

1. Dallas (10+ wins)

2. Giants (10 wins, wild card)

3. Washington (9 wins at most)

4. Philly (7 or 8 wins at most)

No disrespect BinB, but a combined 21-27 win/loss record for Dallas, Washington and Philly, and the Gmen at 13-3? I don't think so. I'd like to hope so, but I don't think the NFC East is by any means a scrub division. (I'm not saying you in particular said it's a scrub division, but 2 teams with losing records, one .500, and one 3 games short of a perfect season suggests that).

I think everyone in the East is going to struggle, and no one is going to run away with it. It'll be hard fought all season, and homer that I am, I think the Gmen come out on top, or at least a wild card spot. I can't wait for this season to start already.

BTW, I heard on NFL Live this afternoon the 'Skins are interested in Westbrook, getting a heavy push from McNabb obviously. I know he's not quite what he used to be but I was hoping he was out of the East for good.

Dallas will compete, and I wouldn't be suprised to see them go 12-4 and win the NFC East. Romo is a good QB with weapons, and the Dallas defense has the best linebackers in the NFL right now....they can shut people down.

The Giants could go 11-5, or they could be 7-9. It really depends on the defense, starting up front. Justin Tuck is the key. The guy was obviously broke down last season, mainly due to that shoulder injury. If Tuck is 100%, and Osi too, this team is like night and day. On paper, and healthy, this defense could dominate. But on the field last year, they looked like shit. If the defensive issues aren't fixed, this team will fade late. If Dillard is the shit, then we can win the Division.....but I'm guessing that's too much to ask for a rookie in the 4th round.

Keep in mind that I'm not expecting Phillips to play a down this season....if he is healthy, and regains that flash we saw before going down, then the Giants could take the NFC East.

Philly is Philly....no matter what sort of patchwork bullshit they pull, the Fat Man will figure out a way to keep the Eagles in it down the stretch....I see them at 9-7 in their post-McRib season.

Washington is a much improved team - mainly on the sidelines with Shanahan running the show. That's a serious upgrade. Still, even with Joe Gibbs, the Redskins struggled. McNabb is an improvement, but the Eagles have an uncanny knack in letting players go when they hit their downside.... I don't see McNabb getting these guys into the playoffs....but they'll be in the wildcard hunt until the final weekend.

Here's my prediction:

Dallas 12-4 -y

Giants 10-6 -x

Philly 9-7

Washington 8-8

I don't understand why people pick Dallas to win the division... no fucking way they do.. we have the better offense and the better defense... Sorry dudes, no prediction on my part but I don't see anyone in the NFC East who's better than us right now. Our BIGGEST weakness was Sheridan and that was fixed.

I don't understand why people pick Dallas to win the division... no fucking way they do.. we have the better offense and the better defense... Sorry dudes, no prediction on my part but I don't see anyone in the NFC East who's better than us right now. Our BIGGEST weakness was Sheridan and that was fixed.

Agreed. Dallas Oline was average last yr, and now they have no Flozell on top of it. I just dont see Dallas as the clear favorite of this division, Giants win it woithout a doubt.

No disrespect BinB, but a combined 21-27 win/loss record for Dallas, Washington and Philly, and the Gmen at 13-3? I don't think so. I'd like to hope so, but I don't think the NFC East is by any means a scrub division. (I'm not saying you in particular said it's a scrub division, but 2 teams with losing records, one .500, and one 3 games short of a perfect season suggests that).

I think everyone in the East is going to struggle, and no one is going to run away with it. It'll be hard fought all season, and homer that I am, I think the Gmen come out on top, or at least a wild card spot. I can't wait for this season to start already.

BTW, I heard on NFL Live this afternoon the 'Skins are interested in Westbrook, getting a heavy push from McNabb obviously. I know he's not quite what he used to be but I was hoping he was out of the East for good.

Well....you're probably right. I tend to be overly optimistic with the Giants and don't like to give our divisional foes much credit. However, I do think the Eagles and Cowboys are weaker this year and the Skins a tad better.

I'm from the old school who believes in smashmouth football and:

1) defense wins football games

2) a winning team must have a solid QB, and

3) the game is won in the trenches.

With that said, I believe the Giants greatly improved their defense and both sides of the trench and they definitely have a great QB and last years collapse was a freakish fluke due mainly to key injuries. Eagles lack a great QB, Dallas' focused on offense this offseason instead of defense and the trench, and the Skins, well....they're the Skins still shuffling critical spots with new players while searching for an identity.

I'll upgrade my predictions with:

Giants: 12-4

Dallas: 10-6

Eagles: 9-7

Skins: 7-9

And I think I'm being generous with our divisional rivals - especially Dallas who I think is way overrated and run by a choke artist of a QB. Shut down the bailout Romo to Witten plays and you shut down more than half their offense. On the defensive side, if Demarcus Ware goes down with an injury, Dallas wouldn't be able to stop a college team from scoring.

I hope so. He's got a long way to go before we can say he's any good for this team.

Well....you're probably right. I tend to be overly optimistic with the Giants and don't like to give our divisional foes much credit. However, I do think the Eagles and Cowboys are weaker this year and the Skins a tad better.

I'm from the old school who believes in smashmouth football and:

1) defense wins football games

2) a winning team must have a solid QB, and

3) the game is won in the trenches.

With that said, I believe the Giants greatly improved their defense and both sides of the trench and they definitely have a great QB and last years collapse was a freakish fluke due mainly to key injuries. Eagles lack a great QB, Dallas' focused on offense this offseason instead of defense and the trench, and the Skins, well....they're the Skins still shuffling critical spots with new players while searching for an identity.

I'll upgrade my predictions with:

Giants: 12-4

Dallas: 10-6

Eagles: 9-7

Skins: 7-9

And I think I'm being generous with our divisional rivals - especially Dallas who I think is way overrated and run by a choke artist of a QB. Shut down the bailout Romo to Witten plays and you shut down more than half their offense. On the defensive side, if Demarcus Ware goes down with an injury, Dallas wouldn't be able to stop a college team from scoring.

No Bleedin fuck that... 13-3 it is. We tend to do very well after disappointing seasons.

I like the optimism of Naz and Chuckles....especially chuckles undefeated and SB winners.

I prefer to expect a little less so I won't be so disappointed (out of control angry is more like it) when the Giants lose a few games. If they do better than expected, I stay nice and calm and am elated.

The Giants will go undefeated...run the table.....SB champs.

You heard it here.

C. Wagon

I like the optimism of Naz and Chuckles....especially chuckles undefeated and SB winners.

I prefer to expect a little less so I won't be so disappointed (out of control angry is more like it) when the Giants lose a few games. If they do better than expected, I stay nice and calm and am elated.

HOMERS!

homer_gmen.jpg

Just kidding.

I'd kiss the sand Nas walks on if we went undefeated.

this is crazy homerism, Dallas is loaded and traded for Alex Barron to help the oline, they have four really good WR's and Jason Witten, not to mention Jones,Barber and Choice in the backfield and a all world defense. I love the Giants but I am not that optimistic about them, Pierre Paul will barely see the field, we still have declining Jacobs and another RB with two cracked ankles, the MLB position is still a huge hole and thats the critical part of the tampa 2, and our schedule is not a 13-3 schedule, we play the afc south which is the one of the best divisions in football we also play Carolina, Minnesota and Green Bay not to mention our division. I would like to see us 10-6 but thinking more towards 6-10, and thats plain honesty. Washington despite Haynesworths issues is vastly improved with the McNabb addition and their D can be first in the nfl under Haslett, and Philly still has Desean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin who we could not stop last year, if Kolb struggles they will put in Vick who still has a good arm and fits well in Phillys scheme.

this is crazy homerism, Dallas is loaded and traded for Alex Barron to help the oline, they have four really good WR's and Jason Witten, not to mention Jones,Barber and Choice in the backfield and a all world defense. I love the Giants but I am not that optimistic about them, Pierre Paul will barely see the field, we still have declining Jacobs and another RB with two cracked ankles, the MLB position is still a huge hole and thats the critical part of the tampa 2, and our schedule is not a 13-3 schedule, we play the afc south which is the one of the best divisions in football we also play Carolina, Minnesota and Green Bay not to mention our division. I would like to see us 10-6 but thinking more towards 6-10, and thats plain honesty. Washington despite Haynesworths issues is vastly improved with the McNabb addition and their D can be first in the nfl under Haslett, and Philly still has Desean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin who we could not stop last year, if Kolb struggles they will put in Vick who still has a good arm and fits well in Phillys scheme.

Barber is overrated and Choice still hasn't done much. Plus their Oline even with Barron is not that good. The Eagles losing McNabb and Westy hurt them, plus their D aint what it used to be. Wash. always gets key players....and still stinks. I, like Bleedin, find it hard to compliment the opposition. But what i say is true, and I think youre sellin the Gmen short. Theres someone there that can man the MLB spot. And were about to find out who that is.

Barber is overrated and Choice still hasn't done much. Plus their Oline even with Barron is not that good. The Eagles losing McNabb and Westy hurt them, plus their D aint what it used to be. Wash. always gets key players....and still stinks. I, like Bleedin, find it hard to compliment the opposition. But what i say is true, and I think youre sellin the Gmen short. Theres someone there that can man the MLB spot. And were about to find out who that is.

shockingly the dog has to disagree with most of this. Barber is an effective back, and isn't really overrated b/c he is not necessarily rated high by most. choice is explosive and has performed in his role, and they still have the other guy who's name escapes the dog that is a proven game breaker. the o-line is adequate and can get the job done, and the defense has potential to be one of the top in the NFL...of course, they still have the coaching issue.

the eagles under reid are always going to compete, until he gets outcoached in the playoffs like always. his system caters to QBs, and Kolb has good potential with a lot of weapons. westbrook has spent more time in the last two years injured or performing at less than 100%. they will be tough...as for McNabb, it makes the dog laugh to hear how his absence will hurt even though most here have spent years downplaying his accomplishments and saying he is overrated...now suddenly that is a huge loss?

washington is known for signing big names and still losing, but there defense has steadily improved and is going to be tough again. they have a stable QB now and enough weapons on offense to be competetive, and this just in, shanahan is a major upgrade in coaching.

the giants will be better than a year ago, but winning this division is no gimme for any team. as the dog has said since day one, jacobs is not a #1 back, and he will continue to limp through his role as he has. if any back in the division earns an "overrated" label, it is clearly him. if bradshaw stays healthy, he has potential to be nasty. everyone knows the dog's feelings on manning...can look like a hall of famer one week, and the second coming of jake plummer the next. the dog does like the young receivers, and expects the defense to be better than a year ago, but then again, it won't take much to improve in that department.

early prediction in a time when it is way too early to predict:

dallas 11-5

philadelphia 10-6

giants 8-8

redskins 7-9

or course, at this stage, the dog wouldn't be surprised if he exact opposite order came in...

Thanks for the long post dog, but I should have been more clear on my sarcasm. If the cowboys just won 5 SB's in a row goin undefeated each season, and the Giants only beat the raiders........they would suck and we would be the best. C'mon....you know me. :rolleyes:

I don't find it hard to compliment the opposition.. If I thought Dallas were that good, I would say it... I simply don't. Barber is not overrrated... he plays tough and he's a heck of batter ram... something BJ should be for us. As far as the eagles losing McNabb and Westy towards to tail end of their careers, I don't think it's a bad thing for the Eagles.. they got something for McNabb knowing age is catching up with him.. i think it's the idiots in Washington who ever seem to look past the upcoming season. I do think the Giants have the best team... could be because I pay way more attention to the Giants than anyone else... our offense is as good as ever... our D's performance last year was an aberation... remember Tim Lewis? that's why Sheridan was shown the door. Losing Peirce isn't a big deal.. he was done. Now we have a very solid DL and a very solid backfield... I can say at least too solid LBs... the MLB is unknown and Goff or Blackburn didn't exactly suck either.

I don't find it hard to compliment the opposition.. If I thought Dallas were that good, I would say it... I simply don't. Barber is not overrrated... he plays tough and he's a heck of batter ram... something BJ should be for us. As far as the eagles losing McNabb and Westy towards to tail end of their careers, I don't think it's a bad thing for the Eagles.. they got something for McNabb knowing age is catching up with him.. i think it's the idiots in Washington who ever seem to look past the upcoming season. I do think the Giants have the best team... could be because I pay way more attention to the Giants than anyone else... our offense is as good as ever... our D's performance last year was an aberation... remember Tim Lewis? that's why Sheridan was shown the door. Losing Peirce isn't a big deal.. he was done. Now we have a very solid DL and a very solid backfield... I can say at least too solid LBs... the MLB is unknown and Goff or Blackburn didn't exactly suck either.

I couldn't agree more with you Naz. Last year's defense was an abberation with Phillips going down, Tuck playing hurt, Osi not fully back, Robbins hurt, Aaron Ross hurt, Pierce going down, etc. Our biggest hole was at safety and I believe that has been fixed. Plus, our big players should be back at 100%, and we've got a lot of new talent to throw into the mix.

As far as the question mark around MLB goes, I agree with Tom and Jerry that it had an awful lot to do with the defensive line sucking...and the fact that the safeties were just plain awful, it left everything up to the linebackers to try and stop the bleeding. I think that is fixed so now the linebackers can concentrate and actually play their position the way it was meant to be played. Yeah, it would've been nice to have gotten a stud MLB, but it wasn't in the cards. Pierce was very good back in the day and he was an undrafted player who ended up going to the pro bowl. Jesse Armstead was an 8th round pick (which by today's standards would be an undrafted player) who was also a pro bowler. One of the most profound MLB's in the past decade was Zach Thomas, a perrenial pro-bowler who was a 5th round draft pick. Hardy Nickerson was also a perrenial pro bowler who was a 6th round pick.

The point is, a great middle linebacker doesn't always come from being a first round, top 10 pick and we need to see what Dillard, Sintim, Goff, and a couple of the touted UDFA's end up doing before sounding the alarm. I have confidence that our linebackers are going to surprise a lot of people this year since the d-line and safety positions can hold their own and allow the linebackers to do their job. I'm sure hoping anyway!

The big wild card in everything is injuries. It killed us last year. Hopefully not this coming season and maybe with a little luck, the injury bug will infect our divisional nemeses this time instead!