SportsWrath

JPP Analysis on CBS

Iceman_NYG

Pass rush: Lined up on both sides of the defensive line (and stood up as an outside linebacker) and has the length, effort and closing speed to be a very good pass rusher. Has the height, length and excellent vertical jump to clog passing lanes. Gets to the pocket in a hurry against most tackles, but struggles to turn the corner against better linemen because of a lack of flexibility. Flashes ability to beat tight ends with quickness but is not consistent. Very raw in his pass-rush technique -- only capable of going outside and can bull rush effectively against lesser competition. Does not get off blocks to offer a secondary rush. Dances on the edge, even when running backs meet him to chip. Not effective on twists.

Run defense: Only fair change-of-direction agility for his size; he ends up on the ground too often when ballcarriers elude him. Uses his length and good effort to grab running backs coming through the hole if not engaged. Hustles to plays run away from him or downfield when fresh, but isn't fast enough to chase down running backs or mobile quarterbacks from behind. Does not know how to use his hands to get off blocks from tackles or tight ends. Often on the sideline in short-yardage situations because can't get low or stand his ground against strong tackles.

Explosion: Explodes out of his stance when rushing the passer out of a three-point stance, especially if the quarterback does not change up the snap count. Little pop into his man's jersey playing against the run game and typically was dominated by NFL-caliber tackles.

Strength: Lacks functional strength to hold up against NFL tackles, whether attempting a bull rush or stacking his man to play the run. Loses his balance when attempting to disengage on stretch plays. Easily knocked off his feet running in space. Limited stamina shows up late in games through less hustle and lost strength after initial contact.

Tackling: Drag-down tackler who uses his hustle and length to his advantage when in position to make a play. Will take a big shot at a ballcarrier if vulnerable, but is not really an explosive tackler. Is evaded too easily in the backfield because he lunges and lacks the flexibility to break down and quickly change direction.

Intangibles: Has relatively little experience on the football field. Played at three schools in three years because of academic issues. No character red flags.

This is the analysis of Pierre Paul from CBS Sports. Am I blind or do I see a lot more negatives and the only positives being his length? I like the pick and hope he will develop into something special, but what did the Giants FO see from an analysis like that?

Wasn't a fan of the pick on draft da...er...night. Still not a fan. Fast off the ball, but can't turn the corner and too small to dominate an offensive tackle. Not a sure tackler and no valuable experience in college to speak of. Beyond that, dumber than a stone.

He boom or bust.

Tremendous athletic talent.

Limited experience and apparently not the brightest bulb in the drawer.

If Fewell can design a scheme that's basically "hit that gap" or "get the quarterback," he'll probably be fine.

If it's "read this key, then either do A, B, or C," he's bust.

This is why I don't hate the pick... I work 9-5 non-football related... Reese and the Giants FO, on the other hand, well.. that's their job.. they do the scouting and they do the valuation of players. If this turns out to be a bust.. it won't be the first nor the last.

i hated the pick when it we made it and i hate it now.

still cant figure out what they were thinking

Hell...if you look at past first round draft picks, half of them aren't even still playing football after a couple of years. We've gone with proven commodities in the past like Ron Dayne, William Joseph, etc., that did nothing more for the team than help empty the team's bank account. And that can be said about every team in the country, not just the Giants.

It's a crap shoot. No one knows what the player will do after becoming a multi-millionaire. Some back off the work ethic and live the good life. Others are motivated to be something special in spite of the money they suddenly have in their laps. Let's hope JPP is the type of guy who wants to prove himself on the NFL stage in spite of the millions he'll suddenly have.

JPP has an unreal athletic ability that could push him into becoming the very best player out of this draft. Let's hope he's highly motivated to prove himself and is also a quick learner. If he does both, he is going to be special.

Hell...if you look at past first round draft picks, half of them aren't even still playing football after a couple of years. We've gone with proven commodities in the past like Ron Dayne, William Joseph, etc., that did nothing more for the team than help empty the team's bank account. And that can be said about every team in the country, not just the Giants.

It's a crap shoot. No one knows what the player will do after becoming a multi-millionaire. Some back off the work ethic and live the good life. Others are motivated to be something special in spite of the money they suddenly have in their laps. Let's hope JPP is the type of guy who wants to prove himself on the NFL stage in spite of the millions he'll suddenly have.

JPP has an unreal athletic ability that could push him into becoming the very best player out of this draft. Let's hope he's highly motivated to prove himself and is also a quick learner. If he does both, he is going to be special.

impressed with the backflips are we? :laugh:

This is why I don't hate the pick... I work 9-5 non-football related... Reese and the Giants FO, on the other hand, well.. that's their job.. they do the scouting and they do the valuation of players. If this turns out to be a bust.. it won't be the first nor the last.

Yes but they aren't paid the big bucks to draft busts or up-side players. I hate the bullshit of how players can move up several rounds in the draft because of potential. Teams constantly get caught in this bullshit notion that you draft the best athlete in your spot no matter what your needs are.

Yes but they aren't paid the big bucks to draft busts or up-side players. I hate the bullshit of how players can move up several rounds in the draft because of potential. Teams constantly get caught in this bullshit notion that you draft the best athlete in your spot no matter what your needs are.

exactly- it's amazing but in this day and age, it still sometimes comes down to how a guy looks in underwear. there needs to be a "moneyball" type revolution in football.

impressed with the backflips are we? :laugh:

Of course that is impressive from the point of view of balance, strength, and coordination...but it takes more. His raw speed and jump off the ball is impressive from a football point of view. As far as the backflips go...I imagine it will be written into his contract that he never does another backflip as long as he is a Giant. Too damn risky. Nothing more stupid than tearing up a rotator cuff doing flips.

The beauty of going to the Giants is that we aren't in desparate need of a DE. Therefore, he can get schooled by the best in the business and slowly work his way into the lineup. He seemed to have a lot of problems academically, but even those who can't fathom calculus and biochemistry tend to learn well about things they find very interesting in their own field and I don't think playing DE is quite as hard to grasp as nuclear physics. He's going to be disruptive no matter what and hopefully, he turns out to be bigger, faster "Demarcus Ware on steroids" type of player.

and alls you need to do is look right next door for a perfect example of this type of player.....the jets took vernon gohlston with the 6th pick.........just like vernon he was a hyped up pass rusher not because of the numbers he posted in college..........but because of his atheltic ablity and his work out.........it was said he needs to work on other phases of his game (sound fimiliar so far) but should be able to come in and rush the passer from day one.

just saying

Of course that is impressive from the point of view of balance, strength, and coordination...but it takes more. His raw speed and jump off the ball is impressive from a football point of view. As far as the backflips go...I imagine it will be written into his contract that he never does another backflip as long as he is a Giant. Too damn risky. Nothing more stupid than tearing up a rotator cuff doing flips.

The beauty of going to the Giants is that we aren't in desparate need of a DE. Therefore, he can get schooled by the best in the business and slowly work his way into the lineup. He seemed to have a lot of problems academically, but even those who can't fathom calculus and biochemistry tend to learn well about things they find very interesting in their own field and I don't think playing DE is quite as hard to grasp as nuclear physics. He's going to be disruptive no matter what and hopefully, he turns out to be bigger, faster "Demarcus Ware on steroids" type of player.

ablity and potential...........thats really alls he has going for him........im not saying he is gonna bust because i really have no idea but he has every single red flag a player coming out of college could have

-question about his desire to play

-He only managed to start 11 games at FSU....it was his first year playing at a major program against top compettition....why did he only start 11 games??? in those 11 games he got 6 sacks...decent number BUT he was a top 15 pick...i would think a 15th pick would have had more then just 6 sacks (was he really drafted on potential alone cuz the stats werent there

-he switched schools twice......(2 JR colleges)......he had problems staying on the field because of his grades at every school except FSU (big program helping players in order to win perhaps?)

-his desiere to play is in question (biggerst of them all)

-it is said that he has trouble with stamina esp late in games (while this happens when you just started playing football 3 years ago)....this part scares me.....this is a volient sport that demands your body to be in the best condition possilby imaginable.......you need to start conditioning your body from a young age to perpare yourself for the vigors of the nfl

he has potential to be great 100 percent but he does hold every red flag imaginable that screams bust

ablity and potential...........thats really alls he has going for him........im not saying he is gonna bust because i really have no idea but he has every single red flag a player coming out of college could have

-question about his desire to play

-He only managed to start 11 games at FSU....it was his first year playing at a major program against top compettition....why did he only start 11 games??? in those 11 games he got 6 sacks...decent number BUT he was a top 15 pick...i would think a 15th pick would have had more then just 6 sacks (was he really drafted on potential alone cuz the stats werent there

-he switched schools twice......(2 JR colleges)......he had problems staying on the field because of his grades at every school except FSU (big program helping players in order to win perhaps?)

-his desiere to play is in question (biggerst of them all)

-it is said that he has trouble with stamina esp late in games (while this happens when you just started playing football 3 years ago)....this part scares me.....this is a volient sport that demands your body to be in the best condition possilby imaginable.......you need to start conditioning your body from a young age to perpare yourself for the vigors of the nfl

he has potential to be great 100 percent but he does hold every red flag imaginable that screams bust

Not eleven starts, and not Florida State (FSU)....seven starts at South Florida (SFU). Not that this minor nitpick really helps the draft grade on picking JPP, lol.

I couldn't give a shit if he isn't even of average intellect; he's a defensive end, his analytic responsibilities don't have to go beyond, 'get after the guy with the ball.' What he doesn't have is a lick of technique. And here's where I commit football sacrilege and admit that football is the most technique-poor sport out there. Its true...I don't know of another sport where someone can start playing organized ball late in high school and be near the top of his sport inside five years. Thats why teams draft based on athletic ability - the techniques are not hard to master.

Not eleven starts, and not Florida State (FSU)....seven starts at South Florida (SFU). Not that this minor nitpick really helps the draft grade on picking JPP, lol.

I couldn't give a shit if he isn't even of average intellect; he's a defensive end, his analytic responsibilities don't have to go beyond, 'get after the guy with the ball.' What he doesn't have is a lick of technique. And here's where I commit football sacrilege and admit that football is the most technique-poor sport out there. Its true...I don't know of another sport where someone can start playing organized ball late in high school and be near the top of his sport inside five years. Thats why teams draft based on athletic ability - the techniques are not hard to master.

def have to disagree there....if that were true DHB and troy williamiams would be all pro WR.....vernon goloshton would not have busted......jerry rice wouldnt have been an all start

yes you can learn techniquest but it is far from "not hard to master".........esp when it comes to things such as hip movemnt and angles

if that were true phillip rivers would not be throwing side arm.......when develop bad habbits they are hard to over come....maybe in practice its easy but in the heat of battle that muscle memory comes back and instincts kick in

exactly- it's amazing but in this day and age, it still sometimes comes down to how a guy looks in underwear. there needs to be a "moneyball" type revolution in football.

Sometimes it just makes me completely wonder what these team personnel people are thinking during draft day. During the press conference Reese was saying how they were so happy to get Dillard but they waited so long to do it. They wanted him so bad why didn't they draft him a round earlier? What if he had been drafted and then the Giants missed drafting him? Would they then just not draft a LB at all because they only wanted value picks? This type of thinking seems completely ludicrous to me. Anyway the whole draft seems like just a pure crap shoot anyway.

def have to disagree there....if that were true DHB and troy williamiams would be all pro WR.....vernon goloshton would not have busted......jerry rice wouldnt have been an all start

yes you can learn techniquest but it is far from "not hard to master".........esp when it comes to things such as hip movement and angles

if that were true phillip rivers would not be throwing side arm.......when develop bad habbits they are hard to over come....maybe in practice its easy but in the heat of battle that muscle memory comes back and instincts kick in

I tend to agree. Bad habits comeback because of poor training and by the time you are at the NFL level a lot of your bad habits are ingrained. It may not be so bad that JPP is very raw though.

Sometimes it just makes me completely wonder what these team personnel people are thinking during draft day. During the press conference Reese was saying how they were so happy to get Dillard but they waited so long to do it. They wanted him so bad why didn't they draft him a round earlier? What if he had been drafted and then the Giants missed drafting him? Would they then just not draft a LB at all because they only wanted value picks? This type of thinking seems completely ludicrous to me. Anyway the whole draft seems like just a pure crap shoot anyway.

I tend to agree. Bad habits comeback because of poor training and by the time you are at the NFL level a lot of your bad habits are ingrained. It may not be so bad that JPP is very raw though.

agreed maybe its acutally a good thing in his case that he as so little experiance....these bad habits will be easier to fix (if there is any that is)....then say somebody like tebow who has been doing it since pop warner

yes you can learn techniquest but it is far from "not hard to master".........esp when it comes to things such as hip movemnt and angles

I thought it was pretty clear, but I guess I should have been more explicit that I was making a comparative statement...as in, the technique is easy compared to other sports.

Thats why you never see baseball, hockey, basketball, or soccer players drafted based only on raw athletic ability. And guys that play hand-eye intensive games, racket sports, like tennis, have to train like its a full-time job beginning at a very young age to become elite by the time they're twenty. I love football. But compared to virtually every other sport - name an exception, I dare you - its not even remotely in the same class in terms of the hours you need to practice to become elite.

Maybe DHB and Troy Williamson are just too lazy to master the game. Or maybe they have naturally sub-par hand-eye coordination. I recall a bad shuttle time from at least one of them...indicating a guy with straight line speed but no quickness in and out of his breaks. And don't forget injuries. There are many reasons why those guys and other like them fail in the NFL that may have nothing to do with technique.

I thought it was pretty clear, but I guess I should have been more explicit that I was making a comparative statement...as in, the technique is easy compared to other sports.

Thats why you never see baseball, hockey, basketball, or soccer players drafted based only on raw athletic ability. And guys that play hand-eye intensive games, racket sports, like tennis, have to train like its a full-time job beginning at a very young age to become elite by the time they're twenty. I love football. But compared to virtually every other sport - name an exception, I dare you - its not even remotely in the same class in terms of the hours you need to practice to become elite.

Maybe DHB and Troy Williamson are just too lazy to master the game. Or maybe they have naturally sub-par hand-eye coordination. I recall a bad shuttle time from at least one of them...indicating a guy with straight line speed but no quickness in and out of his breaks. And don't forget injuries. There are many reasons why those guys and other like them fail in the NFL that may have nothing to do with technique.

im gonna have to say your right to some degree.......some positions tho like you said are going to have to be embedded at an early age....like qb....got to get those habbits and technique down at an early age (ie tebow)......need to learn to plant the feet throw with your feet and not your arm so on and so forth.

also CB is another postion that relies heavely on technique.......you can get by in college on athletic ablity but if your not fluid in the hips and have the back pedle techniques down you will fail in the nfl

as for DE you are probably right u can get by on great ablity and so so technique

I think JPP can easily be compared to Jevon Kearse, only a couple years in a college system but had the raw physical talent (and desire) to play at the NFL level. I think JPP has all the physical attributes to be a great DE however he is going to need time to get the position down which is why I'm glad we have Osi/Kiwi/Tuck to mentor him plus be out there starting while he is learning the ropes. I forget what program I was watching, something on the NFL channel but they said that JPP could have a Mario Williams type of start. His first year being so-so but exploding into his second year, as most young D-lineman do.

im gonna have to say your right to some degree.......some positions tho like you said are going to have to be embedded at an early age....like qb....got to get those habbits and technique down at an early age (ie tebow)......need to learn to plant the feet throw with your feet and not your arm so on and so forth.

also CB is another postion that relies heavely on technique.......you can get by in college on athletic ablity but if your not fluid in the hips and have the back pedle techniques down you will fail in the nfl

as for DE you are probably right u can get by on great ablity and so so technique

To a degree, sure...but like you point out, there are exceptions to the rule. Especially at QB. I doubt we'll ever see an NFL QB that didn't grow up tossing a football around.

To be honest, I think I'm trying to rationalize the pick any way I can, lol.

...but rationally speaking, if you're going to make a pure athlete pick, defensive end is the position to do it. Michael Strahan is a good example of the upside of that kind of pick: he never played football until his senior year in high school, and after playing I-AA level college ball he was a very raw player coming out in the draft. He was a 2nd round pick because of his athleticism, not because he beat the living hell out of I-AA athletes.

Oh, and it was DHB with the shitty time in the short shuttle; it was almost the same time as his 40, which is a dead give away that he isn't fast twitch when making a cut. I can't believe the Raiders were stupid enough to draft him so high.