SportsWrath

Giants sign safety Deon Grant

Mr. P

grant0401010ajpg-4a523f63d2806f71_large.jpg

The Giants have signed free-agent safety Deon Grant, the team has announced. Grant arrived for a visit early Thursday and indications were he was close to a deal before he even landed. That proved to be the case, as he inked his deal quickly.

Terms of the contract are not yet available.

The signing of Grant made safety C.C. Brown expendable, and the Giants withdrew the offer they had made to the restricted free agent.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/04/giants_sign_safety_deon_grant.html

eagles-desean-jackson-54-yard-td-wi.jpg

Oh you mean he was supposed to cover Desean Jackson who Knewhuh.gif , but seriously we rescinded the tender of C.C Brown? Why was CC ever offered a tender? But thank god Grant,Phillips and Rolle with Ross,Thomas,Webster a big weakness is new a huge strength

"I'm happy to be here," Grant said. "I wanted to be here when I went to Seattle, but they came into the picture late. This opportunity on the second go-round - it was destined. I'm happy about the coaching staff and my new teammates and I'm ready to help them win the Super Bowl again."

Good depth in case Phillips doesn't come back 100 percent...still expect them to draft a safety...although I believe it is no longer a huge priority. Maybe 5th round?

We should have kept Rouse and let him compete with Johnson. But this move remove any added pressure on Phillip on returning quicker than he is ready too.

We should have kept Rouse and let him compete with Johnson. But this move remove any added pressure on Phillip on returning quicker than he is ready too.

Agree 100%....Phillips shouldn't step on the field until he's ready to go....would love to see him start week 1, but if needed, wait until the 2nd half of the season.

$

That's the thing, Tree. It's an uncapped year and all the guy wanted was a 2 year contract.. I'm sure we can afford next year... however my hunch Phillips will make it back and this Grant guy is just an insurance.

That's the thing, Tree. It's an uncapped year and all the guy wanted was a 2 year contract.. I'm sure we can afford next year... however my hunch Phillips will make it back and this Grant guy is just an insurance.

Just because it's an uncapped year doesn't mean the Giants have to have both of the highest paid defensive players in the league. Even if all he wanted was a 2 year contract, he'll still want to get paid, and probably most of it guaranteed.

Besides, all this "Phillips is coming along ahead of schedule/ooppps no he's not" talk is a smoke screen. The poor kid's career is over, even if he gets clearance to play. He'll never be the same. He'll always play with a touch of caution instead of lights out. Let's hope for once some other teams castoff works out for us.

We absolutely shouldnt have kept Rouse, he did nothing. For all the stuff being said about CC, and yes, he couldn't cover, the fact is the Giants knew cover wasn't his strength, CC was much better against the run. He could have been kept as a cheap backup.

I like the Grant pickup though.

We absolutely shouldnt have kept Rouse, he did nothing. For all the stuff being said about CC, and yes, he couldn't cover, the fact is the Giants knew cover wasn't his strength, CC was much better against the run. He could have been kept as a cheap backup.

I like the Grant pickup though.

:clap:

If you see 41 and a blue player it's probably Rouse. The fact is that CC and Rouse are not great cover safeties and should have never played that way. Anyway I hope the safety play improves this year. It's like signing R Williams and expecting him to cover. It was a cluster fuck from the beginning but then again most Sheridan's plans turned out that way.

rousebrown.jpg

STRONG signing by JR. This signing, NOT the Antrelle Rolle signing, however, is more telling on how they feel about Phillips' prospects next season. But there is still plenty of time for wait and see... but there is no doubt that this signing was done with Phillips' health in mind.